The Student Room Group

Thoughts and response to my EPQ question

Hi all,
I've recently started my EPQ and decided on the question of "Should self-inflicted illnesses such as obesity be freely treated on the NHS?"
I just wanted to gather a general consensus from all of you in response to this question.
Please give reasons for your answer
Obesity isn't always "self-inflicted" sometimes there is genetics and other underlying conditions. It's the same with self harm which is "Self-inflicted" however it stems from a mental health issue which isn't. It sounds like an interesting title, but it is also a risky topic in my opinion and you may upset people. You'd have to think really carefully about it as it is a sensitive topic.
Reply 2
Original post by OwlOfFire
Obesity isn't always "self-inflicted" sometimes there is genetics and other underlying conditions. It's the same with self harm which is "Self-inflicted" however it stems from a mental health issue which isn't. It sounds like an interesting title, but it is also a risky topic in my opinion and you may upset people. You'd have to think really carefully about it as it is a sensitive topic.

Thank you for your reply, I understand that obesity isn't always necessarily self inflicted and this was going to be one of my main arguing factors. It is a risky topic but one I feel must be tackled.
Original post by Alexbird8
Thank you for your reply, I understand that obesity isn't always necessarily self inflicted and this was going to be one of my main arguing factors. It is a risky topic but one I feel must be tackled.

Then I would say go for it. :smile: Providing it is a well balanced report it should work out okay.
Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by OwlOfFire
Then I would say go for it. :smile: Providing it is a well balanced report it should work out okay.
Good luck.

Thank you

Putting "such as obesity" right there in the title is a bold statement of intent though and implies an opinion right away.

What other "self inflicted illnesses" will you talk about?
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
Putting "such as obesity" right there in the title is a bold statement of intent though and implies an opinion right away.

What other "self inflicted illnesses" will you talk about?

I was thinking about illnesses from lifestyle habits such as excessive drinking or smoking aswell.
I was thinking about illnesses from lifestyle habits such as excessive drinking or smoking aswell.

So turning into more of an essay on addictions?

How about extreme sports? Or even those who choose risky jobs?
I understand what you mean, but I thi k your title is far too vague and is probably going to raise a few eyebrows before your EPQ has even been read, and probably not in a good way. That being said, whilst I definitely wouldn't get away with that at degree level, I can remember how stringent markers are at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by nexttime
So turning into more of an essay on addictions?

How about extreme sports? Or even those who choose risky jobs?

okay thank you, I'll definitely have a look into these other topics
I think your title would be more accurate if it said should the NHS pay for/treat lifestyle diseases?
Original post by bobby147
I think your title would be more accurate if it said should the NHS pay for/treat lifestyle diseases?

Lifestyle diseases is a much better way of phrasing it imo 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
In relation to obesity, it may be good to include some of the following topics/studies in your EPQ to discuss:

The "Hypothalamic set-weight" hypothesis.

The "drifty gene" hypothesis.

Ob/Ob mouse (and leptin's effect on weight).

Certain genetic conditions such as Prader-Willi Syndrome which result in hyperphagia.

These would be great topics to discuss on obesity and if they really are self-inflicted in these cases. The theory behind them isn't all too hard either and would be great to research and discuss!

If I recall any other good obesity topics I'll edit the post :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by bobby147

Thank you, I'll definitely consider doing this
Hi I was doing a similar topic and I was interested by the other comments. Do you still have a copy of yours as it would be interesting to read

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending