The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JMR2017
I mean, why not let women wear what they want?

it's a ****ing security issue, anyone can be hiding under the burka pretending to be someone else how the hell would you know?

Elizabeth Smart (look it up) was kidnapped and held in plain sight because she was forced to wear a burka by her kidnappers, she would have been found much earlier if it wasn't for that.
Original post by EternalLight
No, I don't want to cover my face so I mostly wear an abaya.

Is it a religious requirement to cover your face?
Original post by mrwb9876
It's a security risk. And the burka has no place in the UK. DEPORT HER!

Bit over the top wouldn't you say? Shall we just deport everyone wearing a burka? Just imagine the consequences of attempting to try something like that. We value our freedom in this country, this includes the freedom for one to make their own decisions on what they wear.
Original post by aware1
I agree and disagree. Women shouldn't be told what to wear, plain and simple. Let them wear whatever they desire.

The school is private property, its their rule. Either follow it or don't go.

If you were to go to Saudi as a female it is expected you wear a veil on your head to cover your hair, so why do people refuse to follow the rules of western countries?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Actually I'm not. I do need to lip read sometimes, which is difficult when your face is covered.

I'm still going to say people should be allowed to wear the burka, despite the fact that it makes it difficult for people who are deaf or have hearing problems to converse with them.
What a bunch of crybabies wasting taxpayer money.
Original post by Meany Pie
Is it a religious requirement to cover your face?

I know where you're going with this... The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that.
I know where you're going with this... The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that.

If it isn't a religious requirement then it isn't impacting freedom to practice religion. Perhaps it impacts freedom of culture but their no law against that.

The school has a duty to protect the children first and foremost, if they cannot identify someone on their premises it can pose a security risk which they are trying to avoid.

The requirements of religion should be separate from the requirments of the state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hotdetermination
bit over the top wouldn't you say? Shall we just deport everyone wearing a burka? Just imagine the consequences of attempting to try something like that. We value our freedom in this country, this includes the freedom for one to make their own decisions on what they wear.

yes we should deport them all !
Original post by HotDetermination
Bit over the top wouldn't you say? Shall we just deport everyone wearing a burka? Just imagine the consequences of attempting to try something like that. We value our freedom in this country, this includes the freedom for one to make their own decisions on what they wear.

Freedom always comes at a price.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrwb9876
yes we should deport them all !

We value freedom as a society. If we deport them all, that would just make us hypocrites!
Original post by Moonstruck16
Freedom always comes at a price.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in my ideal world it doesn't.
Not in my ideal world it doesn't.

I bet your ideal world is a free-for-all right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We value freedom as a society. If we deport them all, that would just make us hypocrites!

If you want more freedom than already exists, you should also be prepared to accept the end to all PC BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie
If it isn't a religious requirement then it isn't impacting freedom to practice religion. Perhaps it impacts freedom of culture but their no law against that.

Fair enough then.

The school has a duty to protect the children first and foremost, if they cannot identify someone on their premises it can pose a security risk which they are trying to avoid.

But in the article it says she has been picking her children up from the school and never had a problem with security and always lifted her veil to show her identity at the gates. Why now is there suddenly a problem?
Reply 136
Original post by HabibSyed
So a regular women wearing regular cloths don't have to talk or engage with any men they don't wish to, but women in Burka's must engage with non-mahram men to show that their engaging with society? I don't get it? You make no sense. Why is it a problem if a women doesn't talk with certain people?
You said westerners need to make more of an effort to interact with burqa & niqab wearers. I merely said that the same must surely also apply the other way. Do you claim otherwise?
But in the article it says she has been picking her children up from the school and never had a problem with security and always lifted her veil to show her identity at the gates. Why now is there suddenly a problem?

They may have had an incident that lead to a policy change.
Reply 138
You are just making the assumption that everything is about money, it may be for non Muslims but for Muslims it's not. Her religious freedoms were violated and she is taking the appropriate action. The suing is more of a statement that organisations cannot just discriminate and make rules up on the spot.
But this in no way restricts her freedom to practice her chosen religion.
Reply 139
No, I don't want to cover my face so I mostly wear an abaya.
So covering the face is not a religious requirement.
In which case, why all the nonsense about "restricting religious freedom"?

BTW, just because something is required by a particular religion, that doesn't mean that it must be allowed. Islam requires that fornicators be flogged with 100 lashes. Is this woman also suing the government for "restricting religious freedom" for preventing the carrying out of divinely decreed punishment on offenders?
Bearing in mind that the flogging is a command from Allah but covering the face is not, if she isn't it would demonstrate a clear and self-serving hypocrisy.

Latest

Trending

Trending