The Student Room Group

Best Profession to go into, considering: work/life balance, pay, interesting etc

-medicine
-nursing
-dentistry
-accountancy (chartered)
-analyst-investment banking
-architecture
-marketing
-teaching
-IT
-research/academia
-science/pharma industry

please give reasons, and you are welcome to add to the list
Reply 1
Are you looking for advice or just a general discussion?

If it's the former, I know people will probably say banking/finance or something in STEM but it's really down to what you find the most interesting, which is subjective. You could be doing any of those for good money but if you have no interest in the industry then it's going to be very boring for you. I work in IT, the pay is good but it can be very demanding and intense but I handle it just fine. Some people can't and it's going to be different for everyone.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
Are you looking for advice or just a general discussion?

If it's the former, I know people will probably say banking/finance or something in STEM but it's really down to what you find the most interesting, which is subjective. You could be doing any of those for good money but if you have no interest in the industry then it's going to be very boring for you. I work in IT, the pay is good but it can be very demanding and intense but I handle it just fine. Some people can't and it's going to be different for everyone.

Hi,

thanks for the input.

Just a general discussion. Yes, thats a valid point, wrt, to working in an industry that interests the person and that is subjective
Original post by blue2125
-medicine
-nursing
-dentistry
-accountancy (chartered)
-analyst-investment banking
-architecture
-marketing
-teaching
-IT
-research/academia
-science/pharma industry

please give reasons, and you are welcome to add to the list

The ones you're interested in the most.

My *ranking* of interesting will be completely different to someone else with other career interests. Likewise someone who values earning power over work/life balance would rank these differently.

I'll bite however because I used to be obsessed with this stuff; the only careers I've found where you can expect to make a lot of money (relative to everyone else) if you a) make it in and b) are good enough to perform are as follows:

high finance;
quant finance;
executive management in any business function;
product centric roles (software engineer, designer, PM) at top technology companies;
partner track at a top accounting, law or consulting firm;
medicine/dentistry;
some key role (e.g. engineering, geology, physical trading) in oil and gas/mining;
actuarial;
high end sales;
entrepreneurship;

Anything else has too much of a *luck* factor to be included - stuff like sports, entertainment, fashion, design, therapy to rich clients, bartenders, cuisine etc

But that's just about money (and the extreme end of money). Most professional jobs will pay decently enough that there's not much point pinning all your hopes on a job just for pound signs when you hate the work life balance and job itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending