The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Accommodation for Insurance students at University of Reading

Hi,

If you miss your firm but are accepted by UofR as an insurance choice what is the process / timeline for applying for accommodation? Can you apply for accommodation if your status on UCAS track turns to unconditional firm (UF) on Thursday 17th August or do you have to wait for the following week to apply? Is there a fixed starting date / time for insurance / clearing candidates to apply for accommodation and if so, what is it? Is it first come first served?

I would also be interested which accommodation is typically available to insurance / clearing students based on recent experience and what % of insurance / clearing students are offered a place in halls.

Many thanks.
Original post by GP2016
Hi,

If you miss your firm but are accepted by UofR as an insurance choice what is the process / timeline for applying for accommodation? Can you apply for accommodation if your status on UCAS track turns to unconditional firm (UF) on Thursday 17th August or do you have to wait for the following week to apply? Is there a fixed starting date / time for insurance / clearing candidates to apply for accommodation and if so, what is it? Is it first come first served?

I would also be interested which accommodation is typically available to insurance / clearing students based on recent experience and what % of insurance / clearing students are offered a place in halls.

Many thanks.

Hey, I found this on their faqs page and think it might help in answering your question. :smile:

'A place in hall cannot be guaranteed if Reading is your insurance choice. The number of rooms available varies from year to year depending on the number of successful applications to the University. You will not be able to apply for accommodation until Reading becomes your firm choice; this is usually the Monday following A-level results. Students holding insurance offers may need to explore alternative accommodation arrangements if University accommodation is full - you will be provided with further information and guidance if this situation arises''
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by games211
Hey, I found this on their faqs page and think it might help in answering your question. :smile:

'A place in hall cannot be guaranteed if Reading is your insurance choice. The number of rooms available varies from year to year depending on the number of successful applications to the University. You will not be able to apply for accommodation until Reading becomes your firm choice; this is usually the Monday following A-level results. Students holding insurance offers may need to explore alternative accommodation arrangements if University accommodation is full - you will be provided with further information and guidance if this situation arises''

Thanks, much appreciated. :smile: Yes I saw the FAQ entry but was hoping UofR might be able to confirm the date / time that applications open this year and provide some detail on the type of accommodation likely to be available based on previous experience.
Original post by GP2016
Hi,

Many thanks.

Hi :smile:

I have included this attachment from the Uni page which shows the timeline of applying for halls. It includes the deadline for application to halls for clearance and insurance students:
https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/accommodation/university-accommodation/application-timeline.aspx

This should help answer most of your questions! Your first choice hall can't always be guaranteed, but the university will do their best.
I know some people in clearing who got a place in halls and some in insurance who didn't. So it will be hard to give a % of why some get halls and others don't!

It's hard to try and plan for September when you don't know your results which I understand is quite stressful.

Hope this helped!
Any further questions feel free to ask.

Sophie
Second year Philosophy student :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks Sophie :smile:
I've just received my unconditional offer for Consumer Behaviour and Marketing (I applied late through clearing).

What is the likelihood of someone through clearing getting accommodation because this is a real big decision maker for me.
Original post by chxma
I've just received my unconditional offer for Consumer Behaviour and Marketing (I applied late through clearing).

What is the likelihood of someone through clearing getting accommodation because this is a real big decision maker for me.

Hi! Congratulations on your offer! :smile:

It is really hard to say how many people get accommodation through clearing. As the first choice is given to those who have firmed Reading. However, this link shows the accommodation timeline. If you are going through clearing you need to have applied for your accommodation by Thursday 21st August.
https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/accommodation/university-accommodation/application-timeline.aspx

If you don't get halls, there are private student accommodations around Reading such as Unite and a few others. People also house share if they need to.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer. It all depends on how many students apply through clearing.

Hope this helped.
Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie
Second year Philosophy student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest