The Student Room Group

Psychology or Geography A level?

So for A levels I'm planning to take biology and maths, and either psychology or geography with it, but I'm not sure which to take. When I'm older I want to be a pediatric nurse, and I'm not sure which would be better? I've never done psychology before, but I'm really good at geography GCSE (one of my top 3 strongest subjects along with biology & maths - and my top 3 favourites). Psychology seems quite interesting although not sure which would be more beneficial. If anyone can give me any advice that would be appreciated.
Original post by Pepsi_Max
So for A levels I'm planning to take biology and maths, and either psychology or geography with it, but I'm not sure which to take. When I'm older I want to be a pediatric nurse, and I'm not sure which would be better? I've never done psychology before, but I'm really good at geography GCSE (one of my top 3 strongest subjects along with biology & maths - and my top 3 favourites). Psychology seems quite interesting although not sure which would be more beneficial. If anyone can give me any advice that would be appreciated.

I've finished my A Level for Psychology (and Biology) this year and I'd say with the other subjects you want to take.. Psych goes quite well with them as you look at research methods and stats tests. Not only this but the new A Levels for Psychology are more scientific so they have more Biology involved (I had an entire section on Bio-psychology this year). My Biology A Level did go well with Psychology.. looked at some stats tests and brain biology in both (but I don't know which exam boards you will be doing).

I'm not saying to take it if you really enjoy Geography.. try looking at both subjects and try and see which subject is more interesting to you. I've heard some people who loved History and Geography at GCSE but hate it at A Level so I'd suggest at least comparing the topics involved and how applicable Biology and Maths are to Geography (I do know Maths comes into Geography too at A Level.. I have friends who took it).
Original post by CuriousShinigami
I've finished my A Level for Psychology (and Biology) this year and I'd say with the other subjects you want to take.. Psych goes quite well with them as you look at research methods and stats tests. Not only this but the new A Levels for Psychology are more scientific so they have more Biology involved (I had an entire section on Bio-psychology this year). My Biology A Level did go well with Psychology.. looked at some stats tests and brain biology in both (but I don't know which exam boards you will be doing).

I'm not saying to take it if you really enjoy Geography.. try looking at both subjects and try and see which subject is more interesting to you. I've heard some people who loved History and Geography at GCSE but hate it at A Level so I'd suggest at least comparing the topics involved and how applicable Biology and Maths are to Geography (I do know Maths comes into Geography too at A Level.. I have friends who took it).

Hi, thank you :smile: How did you find psychology? And biology for that matter? Are they enjoyable? What other A level (s) did you do?
Hi, thank you :smile: How did you find psychology? And biology for that matter? Are they enjoyable? What other A level (s) did you do?

Well for AS I was taking Chemistry, English Literature, Biology and Psychology.. I found Chemistry easier than Biology (as my exam board for Biology was awful.. their exams loved to trip up all the students) yet I got a higher grade in Biology over Chem so I dropped chemistry going into A2.

Biology was a pain for me.. whilst I loved a lot of the content it wasn't always easy to get your mind around it.. like the immune response really confused me since I believe there was more than one process.. and ppl mixed them up. I found that harder than respiration and photosynthesis XD

For both years I spent the most time doing Psychology :awesome: Mainly because it was favourite.. I loved my teachers and the content (despite the heavy workload.. but I think it was just my teachers giving us notes and/or questions from the textbook). I ended up neglecting English Literature a lot.. but it was a nice break from scientific content.. I took it since I love to read and it works well with Psychology too.. both develop that essay writing skill :smile:

I guess a lot whined about the Biology and maths elements but if you already do Maths and are fine with Biology it shouldn't hinder you. But I will say that it isn't always 'hard' to learn but the trouble is remembering the studies and I guess writing quickly in the exams :laugh: 2 hours didn't feel like nearly enough in our AQA Paper 3 this year
Well for AS I was taking Chemistry, English Literature, Biology and Psychology.. I found Chemistry easier than Biology (as my exam board for Biology was awful.. their exams loved to trip up all the students) yet I got a higher grade in Biology over Chem so I dropped chemistry going into A2.

Biology was a pain for me.. whilst I loved a lot of the content it wasn't always easy to get your mind around it.. like the immune response really confused me since I believe there was more than one process.. and ppl mixed them up. I found that harder than respiration and photosynthesis XD

For both years I spent the most time doing Psychology :awesome: Mainly because it was favourite.. I loved my teachers and the content (despite the heavy workload.. but I think it was just my teachers giving us notes and/or questions from the textbook). I ended up neglecting English Literature a lot.. but it was a nice break from scientific content.. I took it since I love to read and it works well with Psychology too.. both develop that essay writing skill :smile:

I guess a lot whined about the Biology and maths elements but if you already do Maths and are fine with Biology it shouldn't hinder you. But I will say that it isn't always 'hard' to learn but the trouble is remembering the studies and I guess writing quickly in the exams :laugh: 2 hours didn't feel like nearly enough in our AQA Paper 3 this year

Thanks :biggrin: it sounds like something I'd quite like. I've got a good memory and I write quickly in exams so that shouldn't be a problem. It sounds really interesting too. There's an open day at the sixth form in september so I'll ask about it there. Thanks for typing all that, its really helpful :smile:
Am stuck between both too? 😞
Thanks :biggrin: it sounds like something I'd quite like. I've got a good memory and I write quickly in exams so that shouldn't be a problem. It sounds really interesting too. There's an open day at the sixth form in september so I'll ask about it there. Thanks for typing all that, its really helpful :smile:

I try :smile:
I'm sure the writing problem won't be too bad.. it's just this year they gave more essays then we all expected so I'm sure many students didn't finish 3 16 markers.. plus some 8 markers..

But yeah it sounds like you should be fine :smile: A lot of people just go into Psychology and don't realise it involves essays and maths

Do you have any other questions?
I try :smile:
I'm sure the writing problem won't be too bad.. it's just this year they gave more essays then we all expected so I'm sure many students didn't finish 3 16 markers.. plus some 8 markers..

But yeah it sounds like you should be fine :smile: A lot of people just go into Psychology and don't realise it involves essays and maths

Do you have any other questions?

No I don't, but if I think of any I'll be sure to ask you :smile:

Quick Reply