The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
Of course people should be allowed to wear a burqa or niqab - except in situations where covering the face is restricted.

We can just make other ways to see if they're suspicious.
Original post by Moonstruck16
If you want more freedom than already exists, you should also be prepared to accept the end to all PC BS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not I'm not demanding more freedom in the UK, as ours is almost perfect. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with being politically correct either. It's only bad when it's completely over the top.
Original post by HotDetermination
They are not but this is different as this is done for religious reasons. You can't just ask someone to take off their religious clothing it makes you come of as paranoid.This should only be done when the person is acting suspicious not for any random person who is acting normally. Even then, it has to been done with certainty.

It's cultural and not religious. Anyway, why should that make a difference? Culture and religion shouldn't be an excuse to behave badly or be granted special rights. Everybody is equal and everybody has to obey the rules

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 183
Original post by EternalLight
Just to make it absolutely clear in case you're getting the wrong impression I do not support female circumcision at all. It's harmful and leads to problems but the argument here is if someone wants to do x and y do their bodies as an adult, why should they not be allowed to? If at the end of the day it is their body and they are harming nobody else.
No! No, and thrice no.

You said...
"The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that."

The point wasn't whether some things are inherently more or less acceptable than others, or whether people have autonomy over their own bodies.
It was whether simply "wanting to do it as part of their religion" is a legitimate justification for doing something.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by EternalLight
Which I categorically disagree with. In fact I don't even think males should be circumcised before they are 18. It should be their choice to make as an adult.
So "freedom of religion" can be trumped by other concerns.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

(Your post has been reported by the way).

How can you tell? o.o
Original post by QE2
No! No, and thrice no.

You said...
"The point is some Muslimahs do want to cover their face as part of their religion so the freedom of religion should allow that."

The point wasn't whether some things are inherently more or less acceptable than others.
It was whether simply "wanting to do it as part of their religion" is ever a legitimate justification for it.

Yes. The freedom of religion is not an absolute right. We've all seen the abuse which every religion has perpetrated due to the deference society has had. The Catholic sex abuse was only able to happen because nobody was allowed to question anything. Too much power and too much money with tax breaks.

Nobody else is allowed to cover their entire face, so why should one group has that privilege? The head scarf is always an option. I get the feeling that some just want to wear the burka to piss people off and get attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to check, click on the "report post" button of any post and you can see how many times it's been reported without actually submitting a report yourself.

Oh. Jazakallah khair, brother.
PRSOM :rofl:

(Your post has been reported by the way). In b4 this post is also reported.

We'll go down together! :rip:
Original post by orderofthelotus
Oh. Jazakallah khair, brother.

Mashaytan ukhti.
Mashaytan ukhti.

Oh my god :rofl:
Original post by orderofthelotus
I said something like this once and I swear it was 30 seconds before I got The PM.

I wait with baited breath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont even get why this has got to be discussed.....so you can criticize people and prove the rest of you are correct???
What has this world come to......
Original post by ImReady!
I dont even get why this has got to be discussed.....so you can criticize people and prove the rest of you are correct???
What has this world come to......

I know. People never discuss anything in real life. It's so unusual to actually...talk about issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe if you don't like discussions, don't come to the ****ing 'Debate and current affairs' forum.

:smile:
I will do whats better for me and not you
so avoid telling me what to do
Well look at you acting high and mighty, coming to complain on a debate forum...about debating lmao. Whatever floats your boat sweetie xxx

:smile: Thank You
Original post by Meany Pie
ISOC... the biggest circle jerk on TSR.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if you define circle jerk to denote a group of people spreading information that they all mutually agree with, then TSR Ex Muslim thread is also one.

In fact, many threads are!
Original post by popo111
Well, if you define circle jerk to denote a group of people spreading information that they all mutually agree with, then TSR Ex Muslim thread is also one.

In fact, many threads are!

Something can only be the superlative when there are lesser versions, I thought that was obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie
Something can only be the superlative when there are lesser versions, I thought that was obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both the ISOC and TSR Ex Muslim thread (mostly) post content that its users agree with.

There is no logical distinction here between the two. In fact, like yourself, I could assert that the ISOC is the lesser one.

So no, it isn't evident!
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Would the ID show a woman with a face veil, then?

no then it wouldn't be an ID

Latest

Trending

Trending