The Student Room Group

Is biphobia more prevalent than homophobia or transphobia?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are. Not bi myself, but noticed it's quite prevalent.
(edited 6 years ago)
Bump...
Original post by Pepsi_Max
Bump...

But you are half gay half straight. gay=likes your own sex straight=likes the opposite
half gay half straight=both, no ?
I'm bisexual too and I wholeheartedly agree with you. A lot of people have this misconception that bisexuals like men and women in an equal ratio. This isn't true obviously. Some bisexuals are slightly more attracted to one gender than the other. So it is stupid when people call us 'half straight.'

Your classmates are horrible people to make fun out of your sexuality. I had a couple of gay friends who used to make fun out of my bisexuality. The way I handled it was asking them how did they feel when people made homophobic comments to them or called them a '******.' I then said, why do you think it is okay then to do the same thing to me? After that, they never said a biphobic statement to me again.

The acronym is called LGBT. Not LGT or LG. When the first Pride happened Bisexuals marched alongside gay people and transgender people. Bisexuals have fought just as hard for civil rights for LGBT people.
Original post by Conservationofmass
But you are half gay half straight. gay=likes your own sex straight=likes the opposite
half gay half straight=both, no ?

Not all bisexuals like both sexes in a half and half way. Some bisexuals can feel more attracted to one gender over the other.
Original post by constantine2016
Not all bisexuals like both sexes in a half and half way. Some bisexuals can feel more attracted to one gender over the other.

I think you'd find hard-pressed to find a bisexual that is attracted to both equally.
Reply 6
I'm actually going to say yes (though not more prevalent than 'transphobia' ), BUT in my experience it has actually been homosexual people who have usually had the problem with my bisexuality. I have had so many comments from gay men who have tried to tell me that bisexuality isn't real, that 'it's a stepping stone', that I'm 'basically half gay' etc. and it's usually heterosexual people who don't have a problem with it.

It is honestly pathetic when I see gay men trying to tell me that my sexuality isn't a thing as if they somehow have no idea what it's like to be a minority sexuality.

I'm not one who goes around campaining for more bisexual people in the media and chanting at gay pride and **** cause I'm not about that, but I think some gay men really need to get it into their minds that sexuality is not just 'okay you're either straight or converting towards homosexuality', because the fact they think that way is laughably ironic.
I've noticed a lot of bi people get called greedy as '1 sex isn't good enough for them'. Which kinda disgusts me.
Biphobia can often come from within the LGBT+ community, where homophobia does not, so I'm unsure on that one, but it might lean more to biphobia. I'd say transphobia is still considerably more prevalent than both though, as we currently stand.
What @shadowdweller said. Biphobia is within the community. For example I know a lot of gay people who are reluctant to date bisexual people, even myself though I'm bi I'd prefer to date lesbians that over bisexual women. Idky really for me it's just a preference. ofc I wouldn't turn anyone down or reject someone If I was interested, but especially when it come online dating which I do quite often, I would prefer to see profiles of lesbians and go on dates with lesbians. Denying the existence of bisexuality sure that does happen, but for me personally those kind of comments don't phase me, I'm so comfortable in who I am and don't think I need to validate myself to anyone.
To me homophobia and transphobia are more pressing issues, they actually affect people's ability to access certain things or just live their lives, you could even say that bi people also experience homophobia to (well I would) when in a same sex relationship, you may face the same challenges as a homosexual couple.
Original post by Asolare
I'm actually going to say yes (though not more prevalent than 'transphobia' ), BUT in my experience it has actually been homosexual people who have usually had the problem with my bisexuality. I have had so many comments from gay men who have tried to tell me that bisexuality isn't real, that 'it's a stepping stone', that I'm 'basically half gay' etc. and it's usually heterosexual people who don't have a problem with it.

It is honestly pathetic when I see gay men trying to tell me that my sexuality isn't a thing as if they somehow have no idea what it's like to be a minority sexuality.

I'm not one who goes around campaining for more bisexual people in the media and chanting at gay pride and **** cause I'm not about that, but I think some gay men really need to get it into their minds that sexuality is not just 'okay you're either straight or converting towards homosexuality', because the fact they think that way is laughably ironic.

I've also had these comments made but they honestly don't bother me. I'm so secure in myself that these comments don't phase me. I wouldn't say that biphobia has the same impact on your day to day life as those who experience homophobia and transphobia. People can't get employed because they're trans, I don't really see biphobia as that significant in that sense as I think it just stems from insecurity more than anything. Bi people can also be victims of homophobia too, if two guys were dating, people on the street would most likely assume they're gay. I think bisexual erasure is a more appropriate term than biphobia, meaning that we're not that recognised within the community.
Oh for God sake. Bisexuality is so irrelevant anyway.

Exactly. Bumped from 10 days ago.

IRRELEVANT.
(edited 6 years ago)
Being bi within the LGBT+ community is quite iffy considering the want of gold stars (a person who hasn't slept with a person of the opposite sex) as well as bi people being seen as greedy and non-committed for they are attracted to two or more genders so many argue the potential for cheating is increased.
Transphobia, I know is particularly a problem in the north of Ireland with a rise in physical and emotional attacks - especially so if the person is transitioning, they are quite visible whilst many others in the LGBT+ community can remain quite invisible at times. Bi people often are seen as invisible since they may be with males and oftentimes lipstick lesbians/ femmes are often just passing for straight due to the levels of femininity which aren't associated with the traditional idea of butch lesbians so if anything trans people do seem to be more visible and as a result often more attacked as well as many websites still offering male/female options only when signing up for things
It definitely needs addressing
Being straight is fine being gay is pretty much find nowadays being transgender has particular support at this time of our lives but being bisexual is not respected not accepted not taken seriously
Or people are threatened or uncomfortable because they assume that bisexual people want and fancy everybody
On the gay scene and in the straight world it’s very hard being bisexual so much so that many friends of mine just say they’re gay to avoid being bullied
Peace and love to all of you 🌈

Quick Reply