The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by HotDetermination
They are not but this is different as this is done for religious reasons.
But covering the face is not an explicit requirement of Islam, it is a quasi-cultural development that is considered as a requirement by some. Just like FGM. Should that also be allowed "for religious reasons"?

You can't just ask someone to take off their religious clothing it makes you come of as paranoid.This should only be done when the person is acting suspicious not for any random person who is acting normally. Even then, it has to been done with certainty.
I'm confused now.
Do you think that visitors on school premises should have to remove masks and other face coverings, or not?
If you think it is acceptable for visitors to school premises to hide their faces, then that applies to everyone, not just people covering their faces due to non-mandatory religious custom. If you think it is unacceptable, the same principle applies.
Original post by Meany Pie
You aren't actually allowed to disagree in the ISOC, if you do you will just get reported and removed. Which only furthers the jerking nature, imagine if someone brought up LGBT issues :moon:

You can assert what ever you like my darling :h:

Wrong. You can disagree within the ISOC as long as you do not engage in prolonged debate, do not insult or offend. I have seen many fruitful debates from there.

If viewed within the context of the rules (which are different), then there is no difference. If there is, it certainly is not significant enough to be "lesser of the two".

Both threads post content which its users mutually agree with and therefore both have their fair share of "circle jerk". If one prohibits insults or offensive topics, then it may be viewed as intolerant (relatively) but certainly not viewed as having more "circle jerk".

It is quite ironic seeing you made the first (incorrect) assertion.
Original post by popo111
Wrong. You can disagree within the ISOC as long as you do not engage in prolonged debate, do not insult or offend. I have seen many fruitful debates from there.

The evidence does not bear this out.
Original post by popo111

If viewed within the context of the rules (which are different), then there is no difference. If there is, it certainly is not significant enough to be "lesser of the two".

Both threads post content which its users mutually agree with and therefore both have their fair share of "circle jerk". If one prohibits insults or offensive topics, then it may be viewed as intolerant (relatively) but certainly not viewed as having more "circle jerk".

It is quite ironic seeing you made the first (incorrect) assertion.

Lets not derail the thread :h:
Original post by Conceited
Precisely. I recall asking a frequent user of their thread a very simple question and subsequently receiving a PM accusing me of attempting to bash her group of people or something of that sort.

Have you reported this to the CT, and put it in your feedback thread? If you haven't, could I urge you do to so.
Original post by Reality Check
The evidence does not bear this out.

I have disagreed with the ISOC (in the past) and had debates there. I also followed the requirements that I metioned in my last post.

The ISOC could be viewed as "intolerant" in some situations but certainly does not have more "circle jerk" than the other thread in question.
Original post by Reality Check
Have you reported this to the CT, and put it in your feedback thread? If you haven't, could I urge you do to so.

Oh right. I wasn't aware that was the standard thing to do. I'll get to it shortly I guess. I could PM you the message to check, if that's alright with you.
Original post by Conceited
Oh right. I wasn't aware that was the standard thing to do. I'll get to it shortly I guess. I could PM you the message to check, if that's alright with you.

:smile: I've PMed you.
Original post by orderofthelotus
Quick, rep before it's too late everyone

:mmm: Tbf, the other post is still here.
You are all so busy with your Muslim-bashing that you cannot see the basis for the claim.

"took her to a room to inform her of the unwritten policy"

"not been necessary to date for the school to have this requirement stated in written policy"

"we are now considering a written amendment to our health and safety policy to include this specific requirement and will follow the normal protocol of seeking the approval of the governing body"

Why do you need to consult in order to write down something that is already school policy, albeit unwritten?

The truth is likely to be that there was no school policy banning face veils. Someone simply decided to discriminate against this lady by inventing a non-existant policy.
Original post by nulli tertius
You are all so busy with your Muslim-bashing that you cannot see the basis for the claim.

"took her to a room to inform her of the unwritten policy"

"not been necessary to date for the school to have this requirement stated in written policy"

"we are now considering a written amendment to our health and safety policy to include this specific requirement and will follow the normal protocol of seeking the approval of the governing body"

Why do you need to consult in order to write down something that is already school policy, albeit unwritten?

The truth is likely to be that there was no school policy banning face veils. Someone simply decided to discriminate against this lady by inventing a non-existant policy.

The school can do whatever they want regarding dress code. I'm sure there's no rule that visitors can't wear visible nipple clamps, but it's kind of assumed. The basis for her claim is money money money. This is common sense and not "Muslim bashing".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
More STDs being shared there though.

Quick doctor, another side effect is absence of intelligence!
Original post by popo111
Quick doctor, another side effect is absence of intelligence!

I am so offended I might report you :O
Original post by YaliaV
The school can do whatever they want regarding dress code. I'm sure there's no rule that visitors can't wear visible nipple clamps, but it's kind of assumed.

There is a difference between conduct that is generally unacceptable remaining unacceptable when it is on school premises (the example you gave) and arbitrarily forbidding someone from doing something that is generally acceptable in our country without any process.

Whenever a public body says "it is our policy", the sensible response is always, please provide a copy of the policy and please provide a copy of the decision introducing it.

And no, the school cannot do whatever it wants. It is a public body. It cannot act unreasonably and it can only make decisions for lawful reasons taking into account relevant and excluding irrelevant considerations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
There is a difference between conduct that is generally unacceptable remaining unacceptable when it is on school premises (the example you gave) and arbitrarily forbidding someone from doing something that is generally acceptable in our country without any process.

Whenever a public body says "it is our policy", the sensible response is always, please provide a copy of the policy and please provide a copy of the decision introducing it.

And no, the school cannot do whatever it wants. It is a public body. It cannot act unreasonably and it can only make decisions for lawful reasons taking into account relevant and excluding irrelevant considerations.

Covering your face is not generally acceptable. They probably don't allow baseball caps or hoodies, so why should they allow burkas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aware1
Funny this, I brought up LGBT issues at an ISoC once and was told to be quiet because I might hurt someone's opinions. As if. Man up and discuss, it didn't stop me from being censored.

The problems were. If you're Pro LGBT they say be quiet cause it's against Islam. If you are against LGBT they still say quiet as they want to avoid controversy...so I just didn't care and spoke as I wanted to.

What is even funnier is the comment you quoted has been removed :lol:

The tendrils of censorship are expanding :hide:
Original post by YaliaV
Covering your face is not generally acceptable. They probably don't allow baseball caps or hoodies, so why should they allow burkas?

They are most unlikely to prohibit baseball caps or hoodies amongst parents.

You are clearly living in a different country if you think that wearing a burka is not generally acceptable in the UK. No-one will arrest you in the street, no-one will prevent you being served in a bank or Post-Office and in the overwhelming majority of schools you will not be turned away from parents' evening if wearing a burka.
Original post by YaliaV
It's cultural and not religious. Anyway, why should that make a difference? Culture and religion shouldn't be an excuse to behave badly or be granted special rights. Everybody is equal and everybody has to obey the rules

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not about obeying the rules but rather expressing the freedom that we all strive towards. If we do something like this, it's just a step backward for all of us. This is essentially forcing one to conform to this society when we should be allowing people to express their culture however they like. England is diverse, many cultures make us up so depriving one of their culture is depriving England of its essence.
Original post by HotDetermination
It's not about obeying the rules but rather expressing the freedom that we all strive towards. If we do something like this, it's just a step backward for all of us. This is essentially forcing one to conform to this society when we should be allowing people to express their culture however they like. England is diverse, many cultures make us up so depriving one of their culture is depriving England of its essence.

We are all forced to conform in many ways - that's a society for you. There are rules and responsibilities. Special dispensations result in an unequal society

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2
But covering the face is not an explicit requirement of Islam, it is a quasi-cultural development that is considered as a requirement by some. Just like FGM. Should that also be allowed "for religious reasons"?

I'm confused now.
Do you think that visitors on school premises should have to remove masks and other face coverings, or not?
If you think it is acceptable for visitors to school premises to hide their faces, then that applies to everyone, not just people covering their faces due to non-mandatory religious custom. If you think it is unacceptable, the same principle applies.

FGM is an entirely different case, as that has many implications. The burka is simply a piece of clothing that Muslim women wear: it's how we perceive it that's resulted in this unnecessary stigma. It doesn't explicitly bring harm to anyone.

Yes, visitors should be made to remove face coverings when entering a school. Rules don't have to be the same for everyone: for people who wear religious clothing should never be made to take off what is extremely important to them. Yes, logically it seems unfair but in practice it will make sense. Why should someone be allowed to wear a bandana? Does this have sacred religious connotations? If not, they should be made to take it off.

Latest

Trending

Trending