The Student Room Group

Do I need to declare one bad A-Level grade on a CV?

Hey!

I'm getting my A-Levels results on the 17th of August, and I screwed up really bad because of nerves in my fifth A-Level and I not expecting anything above a D. I am however expecting As at least in the other 4.

I'm a little worried about when I go to apply for internships during my second year at university. Will I be able to just state the four that I get good grades in, or do I have to declare the bad grade?
i think just include the grades for subjects related to your internships
Reply 2
There's no requirement to declare every grade you have, only the ones which are relevant. If the A-levels you did well in are relevant to the internship then even if you did declare the one you did less well in then they should out-shine the others.
1) Whilst it may be seen as a bit weird if you don't, you can do it, so long as the subjects that you're trying to leave out, are not subjects that are needed and/or relevant to the course of your choice.
'Your fifth A level'...?
Reply 5
Forget AS Level grades on your CV if you're applying to an internship at university level tbh. Then just include the relevant A-Level grades, they'll be more concerned with your progress at uni at that stage.
You did 5 A levels?! Which subjects did you do?
Genuinely curious lel :K:
Original post by TiernanW
Hey!

I'm getting my A-Levels results on the 17th of August, and I screwed up really bad because of nerves in my fifth A-Level and I not expecting anything above a D. I am however expecting As at least in the other 4.

I'm a little worried about when I go to apply for internships during my second year at university. Will I be able to just state the four that I get good grades in, or do I have to declare the bad grade?

The forms I've seen require all GCSE and A level grades but they will be more interested in your first year uni marks.
Reply 8
Original post by AryanGh
1) Whilst it may be seen as a bit weird if you don't, you can do it, so long as the subjects that you're trying to leave out, are not subjects that are needed and/or relevant to the course of your choice.

Original post by Batgirl98
You did 5 A levels?! Which subjects did you do?
Genuinely curious lel :K:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Software Systems Development.

Original post by Reality Check
'Your fifth A level'...?

Yes, the fifth was Further Maths and I guess in a way that is relevant to Software Engineering, but the internship descriptions never seem to mention high school or A-Levels. I'm afraid of raising concern because I've had my eyes set on these particular internships (Google, Microsoft, etc) as a goal that I've worked towards. The work went in and I messed up on the day. I know you can't say to an employer "it was nerves" because anyone could say that.

What is the general advice? Should I declare it or not?

Yes, the fifth was Further Maths and I guess in a way that is relevant to Software Engineering, but the internship descriptions never seem to mention high school or A-Levels. I'm afraid of raising concern because I've had my eyes set on these particular internships (Google, Microsoft, etc) as a goal that I've worked towards. The work went in and I messed up on the day. I know you can't say to an employer "it was nerves" because anyone could say that.

General advice - it has to be declared. If it's declared, it doesn't trip you up later. Lying by omission is considered to be a serious issue. If they're asking for your A level results, then you need to be complete and mention all of them, not a selection. If, of course, they don't ask for A level results, then you don't need to declare anything. But it's either full disclosure or none at all - not a halfway house, because that is being deceitful.
(edited 6 years ago)

Cool, sounds like pretty intense subjects though - well done for potentially getting As in the others :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
I dont know about internships (possibly different criteria) but I have never been told to put grades on a CV. Subject and level is all I have and that includes my recent higher in social science which has all 20 modules listed but none are graded
Reply 12
Applications are typically set out in one of two ways.

First way - they ask you to upload your C.V. I don't believe you are obliged to put every grade you've achieved on your C.V. Its really up to you what you put on there.

Second way - they have you fill in an online application form asking for your complete results which typically would include A-Level results if its a second year internship. In that case, you should submit all results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending