The Student Room Group

Thinking of going back to uni but no idea how or if I can!

Hi,

I having been thinking for a while about going back to education. I did everything wrong the first time around. I chose a course I thought I enjoyed but long story short, my mental wellbeing deteriorated, I shut everything and everyone out and ended never going back to university all in my final year. I ended up with a diploma of higher education in Fashion Communication when I should have graduated in 2014?

I have been wanting to go back to university for a while and would love to train to be a primary school teacher. HOWEVER, as I have already had 3 years I have no idea what I am entitled to financially, I have no idea how to apply for a course or even if they would consider an application from me considering my previous course was so specific.

Do you have any advise for me? Anything would help. Thanks.
Original post by Lizziexo1
Hi,

I having been thinking for a while about going back to education. I did everything wrong the first time around. I chose a course I thought I enjoyed but long story short, my mental wellbeing deteriorated, I shut everything and everyone out and ended never going back to university all in my final year. I ended up with a diploma of higher education in Fashion Communication when I should have graduated in 2014?

I have been wanting to go back to university for a while and would love to train to be a primary school teacher. HOWEVER, as I have already had 3 years I have no idea what I am entitled to financially, I have no idea how to apply for a course or even if they would consider an application from me considering my previous course was so specific.

As you have already had 3 years of student loans, to my knowledge you will only be allowed one more (the 'gift' year that you didn't take previously). Meaning it isn't impossible per se, but you will have to finance a fair amount of it yourself.

Your main option right now would be to work part-time and enrol on the Open University for a few years on a Teacher Training / PGCE course. I can't say for certain they'd accept you for a secondary school role, but as you say it's Primary Education you're more interested in, I think you'll be fine. Some places ask for a minimum of a C grade in English (both) and Mathematics; not certain there.
Original post by Lizziexo1
Hi,

Hi Lizzie.

Well first of all well done on deciding to get back in to the swing of things :-) Depending how old you are and from my previous experience I can only advise on what I know due to this. I'm 29 and I went back to college and re-did my level 2's, GCSEs, Access Course and now on to Foundation Degree. Next year I'm a hopeful Optometry Student but we will see.

Anyway, if you were looking to start at level 3 then a 24+ loan will be available to you but this only covers the fees and no maintenance. I've mentioned this because it is completely seperate to the student finance. So could be one option? And level 4 onwards you are entitled to 5 years for undergraduate so you would have 2 years worth of funding available to you. So if you only have your final year to complete (you said you dropped in year 3) then maybe retake that one and then graduate? Then see what graduate funding is available to you.

Your best bet is to give them a call ! But from what I understand, I think you will be ok depending upon your circumstances :-) Good Luck !
Original post by FayeFuzz
Hi Lizzie.

Well first of all well done on deciding to get back in to the swing of things :-) Depending how old you are and from my previous experience I can only advise on what I know due to this. I'm 29 and I went back to college and re-did my level 2's, GCSEs, Access Course and now on to Foundation Degree. Next year I'm a hopeful Optometry Student but we will see.

Anyway, if you were looking to start at level 3 then a 24+ loan will be available to you but this only covers the fees and no maintenance. I've mentioned this because it is completely seperate to the student finance. So could be one option? And level 4 onwards you are entitled to 5 years for undergraduate so you would have 2 years worth of funding available to you. So if you only have your final year to complete (you said you dropped in year 3) then maybe retake that one and then graduate? Then see what graduate funding is available to you.

Your best bet is to give them a call ! But from what I understand, I think you will be ok depending upon your circumstances :-) Good Luck !

On top of this, I think they still do extra funding for people on Teacher Training courses? That was a thing a couple years back.
Original post by MedicaAutomata
On top of this, I think they still do extra funding for people on Teacher Training courses? That was a thing a couple years back.

Yes I agree I think there is extra funding for PGCE students and prospective teacher training courses :-)
The best possible option for you (if it is an option) would be to go back to your uni and ask them if you can retake the final year, as you failed, as long as you didn't leave on bad terms then maybe this is a viable option?

You could then do the conversion thing to become a teacher I think?

I think theres even LOTS of other options you can convert between if you hold a degree in any subject.

Doing a final year of something you don't enjoy, getting fully funded in the process would be a far less stressful experience than self funding 2 years of a 3 year degree.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
What about a top up degree? It is 1 year of study to bring your qualifications up to a degree status (level 6?). It is usually for foundation degrees or equivalent HNDs I think but it's certainly worth opening up the discussion with a university that offers them, as you have completed level 4 and 5 (year 1 and 2 of uni). It would mean your 1 remaining year of study is covered through student finance and you can then move onto a PGCE or similar. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FayeFuzz
Hi Lizzie.

Hey, what Access course did you do, and what foundation degree are you going to do? I'm a mature person/hopeful Optometry student too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending