The Student Room Group

Honour killings in 21st century Britain???

How could this be happening? It's 2017 and this is Britain. Not Pakistan or Yemen. Most shocking of all is that majority of these honour killings are committed by family members including male cousins raping the girl with the girls fathers full knowledge, how disgusting. They are also premeditated and pre-planned.

Multiculturalism at its very best.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4724802/Indian-Muslim-teenager-kidnapped-raped-murdered.html
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you must be litty at parties.

Spoiler

Original post by Sarahsez
How could this be happening? It's 2017 and this is Britain. Not Pakistan or Yemen. Most shocking of all is that most of these hunour killings are committed by family members including male cousins raping the girl with the girls fathers full knowledge, how disgusting. They are also premeditated and pre-planned.

Multiculturalism at its best.

Yes, no place in any country of the world...
Reply 3
Original post by hamzakalinle
you must be litty at parties.

Spoiler

People like you must support such disgusting practices.
How could this be happening? It's 2017 and this is Britain. Not Pakistan or Yemen. Most shocking of all is that most of these hunour killings are committed by family members including male cousins raping the girl with the girls fathers full knowledge, how disgusting. They are also premeditated and pre-planned.

This is part of one of my modules for my final year of my Criminology degree - Interpersonal Violence.
Multiculturalism isn't to blame - it's one of the best things about our democracy. You see people from all backgrounds contributing to our society in a variety of different ways. That's a good thing.

It's up to our government and law enforcement agencies to ensure that backward practices (such as honour killings, forced marriages and so on) don't take place in our society, and to encourage potential victims to come forward.

Unfortunately, authoritarianism and sexism are rife where education is lacking. This is particularly true in developing countries (like India and Pakistan for example) where there is poverty and the need for education is often overlooked in the name of tradition/religion.

The battle against this is one for us all and requires people from all backgrounds to work together to resolve. The positive effects of that will then not only be seen in countries like Britain, but all over the world.
@Sarahsez is from Pakistan. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Honor killing happen in South America too there called crimes of passion.

What has multiculturalism got to do with this?
Apparently it's a very old tradition in Asian countries, honour killings are illegal nowadays
Multiculturalism to a certain degree is useful. However, what is not useful is the unprecedented amount of immigration we have had into Britain within the last two or three decades. Some areas of England have been irreversibly changed to the extent that locals feel like strangers in their own backyards and have moved elsewhere because of it. Think of places like Luton, Bradford, Dewsbury, etc.

While I do agree that multiculturalism only serves to enrich our country and provide us with knowledge and ideas from other cultures and so on, the way that it is handled currently by the government is having a larger negative effect than perhaps most people would like to think.

In Britain there is no place for honour killings, forced marriages, or any kind of tradition of that ilk. It is about time we stopped "tolerating" these kinds of practices.

That reminds me actually, whenever a politician or social commentator on the news says that one of Britain's core values is "tolerance" I always chuckle to myself. Have they ever looked up the definition of the word "tolerance"? It means tolerating opinions or behaviours one disagrees with. While I'm all for tolerating people's difference of opinions, we should not be tolerating behaviour, practices, or ideology that goes against the core values of this nation.
Original post by The RAR
Apparently it's a very old tradition in Asian countries, honour killings are illegal nowadays

So is smoking weed, but a large chunk of people still smoke it.
Reply 13
Original post by Dr Strange
Multiculturalism isn't to blame - it's one of the best things about our democracy. You see people from all backgrounds contributing to our society in a variety of different ways. That's a good thing.

It's up to our government and law enforcement agencies to ensure that backward practices (such as honour killings, forced marriages and so on) don't take place in our society, and to encourage potential victims to come forward.

Unfortunately, authoritarianism and sexism are rife where education is lacking. This is particularly true in developing countries (like India and Pakistan for example) where there is poverty and the need for education is often overlooked in the name of tradition/religion.

The battle against this is one for us all and requires people from all backgrounds to work together to resolve. The positive effects of that will then not only be seen in countries like Britain, but all over the world.

The UK isn't Pakistan or India. People with such backwards mindset should be deported. They have no place in modern western society.
Reply 14
Original post by HabibSyed
@Sarahsez is from Pakistan. Just thought I'd put that out there.

In your dreams. I'm not from Pakistan. You're obsessed you weirdo. You creep me out.
Reply 15
Original post by GreenBell
What has multiculturalism got to do with this?

Are you daft?? Or just pretending to be daft?
Original post by Dr Strange

Multiculturalism has failed, people with similar beliefs and ideologies gravitate towards one another. We're living in an age of self-inflicted segregation.
Reply 17
Original post by The RAR

Hence, no place in British society.
Reply 18
Original post by looloo2134
Honor killing happen in South America too there called crimes of passion.

And there was me thinking that the UK was located in Northern Europe.
The UK isn't Pakistan or India. People with such backwards mindset should be deported. They have no place in modern western society.

I honestly have no idea how these people are getting into the country. Immigration should've stopped them after doing a background check, which would've shown that they are uneducated and impoverished. I mean what do you expect when you allow masses of working age men from rural third world countries into the UK?

Multiculturalism only works when the immigrant has something to bring to the table. A qualified doctor from India is a great candidate, but Hamza who herds goat for a living in the mountains and stone adulters for entertainment isn't.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending