The Student Room Group

Access to HE

Evening all,

Completely new to this and just wondering if there are any other people who have just recently started studying. I’ve been out of school for so long now I even remember having to do maths calculations on blackboards and the old BBC computers 😂 although now that makes me sound really past my prime!

I’ve just enrolled for an Access to HE Medical sciences and hoping to enroll next year in Biomedical Sciences. Feeling pretty confident but if there are others in the same boat would be good to get some mutual support 😌
Original post by jasoncatnapper
Evening all,

Completely new to this and just wondering if there are any other people who have just recently started studying. I’ve been out of school for so long now I even remember having to do maths calculations on blackboards and the old BBC computers 😂 although now that makes me sound really past my prime!

I’ve just enrolled for an Access to HE Medical sciences and hoping to enroll next year in Biomedical Sciences. Feeling pretty confident but if there are others in the same boat would be good to get some mutual support 😌

I've moved this to Mature Students for you, because that's a more relevant forum. Also tagging in @Snufkin who's our relevant expert on things Mature.

For my part, I can tell you there's a good number of mature students studying such courses here, and you should get some good help and advice. :smile:
Evening all,

Hi there, I just finished my Access course in June! If yours is anything like mine then you'll be fine. Everyone has a very mature approach to their lessons and the staff are really supportive and understand that mature students have other obligations that a younger student might not. I was on the Education pathway but I took Biology as one of my subjects so I know a little bit about science lessons on an access course. I will say that about 2/3 of the students on my course dropped out. It's really quite full on but if you go in prepared you'll be fine. If I did it, so can you! If you have any questions let me know, i'll help if I can. :smile:

Oh, and do you know who the provider of your course is? Mine was Acsentis.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you. Appreciate it, I couldn’t think where to post. And @Wanderlust96 I’ve gone through Learn Direct on the Open College Network. Ive opted to reduce my hours in work as I’ve saved some money in the last 6 months so I can dedicate more time. Dropping out isn’t an option for me. If external circumstances come up then I’ll just need to adjust, but I’ve planned plenty of time to study as well as still have a social aspect as well. Personal circumstances stopped my education previously and I’ve made sure everything that’s in my control is under control. If that makes sense. It’s daunting but I’m excited to get cracking!
Thank you. Appreciate it, I couldn’t think where to post. And @Wanderlust96 I’ve gone through Learn Direct on the Open College Network. Ive opted to reduce my hours in work as I’ve saved some money in the last 6 months so I can dedicate more time. Dropping out isn’t an option for me. If external circumstances come up then I’ll just need to adjust, but I’ve planned plenty of time to study as well as still have a social aspect as well. Personal circumstances stopped my education previously and I’ve made sure everything that’s in my control is under control. If that makes sense. It’s daunting but I’m excited to get cracking!

Personal circumstance can be a real ****, right? It's the reason most of us were on the course, you'll probably meet a lot of intelligent people who've been dealt a bad hand. So is Open College like Open University, do you learn from home?
It is, but I’m in the mind set of I can either make excuses or make actions and I’m not one to roll over and admit defeat. Yes it’s distance learning, so discipline is what’s going to get me through this. I’m under no impression it’s going to be easy, just wondered if others have done the same entry type. I’ve researched uni’s (to an inch of my life) and confident the course is the right option for me.
Evening all,

Hey Jason,

Mature student here (29) I can completely emphasise with you. I can also remember the black boards haha Anyway 2014 I went back into education starting at GCSE. 2015 completed the Access to HE science then onto foundation degree in applied medical sciences but applying for optometry this year. My advice to you is to just knuckle down and continue chipping away with it! You will enjoy it once in the swing of things :-) A good laptop is a must have and be patient with yourself. Once the coggs start working again you will be well away :-) Good luck !!
Hi Faye, I left in 2012 and struggle to remember much of school if I’m honest. Except bunking off from RE 😂 how did you find the course? Did you feel prepared for your first year?
Well if it's any consolation, blackboards are still very much in vogue among mathematicians :tongue:
Original post by Reality Check
Also tagging in @Snufkin who's our relevant expert on things Mature.

:nope: Unfortunately, I don't know anything about science. :colondollar:
@Snufkin I have a blackboard in my office/snug. I say it’s there for planning but currently it just has a few shopping items and crude drawings. I shall however implement a more ‘traditional’ use eventually 😂
Hi,
Your going to love it! Its a big life change but if you have the dedication and drive its fantastic

I did access to science for health 2015-2016 and have just finished my first year at uni doing biomedical science! (Ive now swapped to mollecular bio but not because biomed isnt great just bc ive realised my goal is a phd/research not working as a bms.)
The course is fantastic and im a big fan of access,good luck! I had 0 science education after i was 14 and the access course was amazing itll start right from basics and work upto level 3.

Stay motivated and on top of any work that needs doing. Going back to education is an experience!
Evening all,

Hey, I'm starting an Access to Science course this September too! I'm taking modules in bio, chem, and maths, so probably not that dissimilar to you :smile: There are loads of us starting Access courses, check out the stickied threads at the top of Mature Students :biggrin:
Hey all sorry was in work... not going to lie, the reduced working hours can’t come soon enough. I’ve started by reading up on IBMS and RBS student pages and signed up with them just to ease myself in, glad you’ve said it starts from basics. I was thinking my A*s at GCSE would give me and edge. It hasn’t 😂
Reply 14
Hi, I'm about to start a similar access course to hopefully go onto the same uni degree as you. I have a pre-access week in the college coming up then start officially after that. I'm both excited and nervous :smile:
My daughter's just completed a distance learning access course in science. Her provider wasn't very good but due to her own determination she got through and successfully achieved her certificate.
The good News Is She Starting Her Degree In Biomedical Science In A Few Weeks and She Can't Wait.
She Was Originally Offered A Place At Bristol University But decided at the last minute to Change And go Demontfort Instead As She Wanted to Be Near family We Have There.
She has Inspired me To go Back To Studying Though So I'm Going To Study Towards An Access Myself This Year. I Just Have To Decide Which One! It Won't Be with The Same Provider Though!
So Good Luck To Everyone Who Is Studying This Year, And Well Done to Everyone Who Has passed, Especially If You Did It Through Distance Learning. You Are Fantastic And deserve All The Good Things Coming Your Way!
Sorry About The Poor Writing, I'm On A kindle And it has A mind of It's Own!
Original post by Lucymockingjay
My daughter's just completed a distance learning access course in science. Her provider wasn't very good but due to her own determination she got through and successfully achieved her certificate.
The good News Is She Starting Her Degree In Biomedical Science In A Few Weeks and She Can't Wait.
She Was Originally Offered A Place At Bristol University But decided at the last minute to Change And go Demontfort Instead As She Wanted to Be Near family We Have There.
She has Inspired me To go Back To Studying Though So I'm Going To Study Towards An Access Myself This Year. I Just Have To Decide Which One! It Won't Be with The Same Provider Though!
So Good Luck To Everyone Who Is Studying This Year, And Well Done to Everyone Who Has passed, Especially If You Did It Through Distance Learning. You Are Fantastic And deserve All The Good Things Coming Your Way!
Sorry About The Poor Writing, I'm On A kindle And it has A mind of It's Own!

Hi,

What provider did your daughter learn with? I want to do a degree in Biomedical Science as well! :smile:
Hi it was Academy online learning. I definitely wouldn't recommend it. There was no support, when I complained , they Didnt Deal With the Problems. It Was very Expensive And My Daughter was Left To Sort Everything Out Her Self. The Tutor Missed The SkYpe Appointments With No Apology And then Got In Touch Several Days Later. She Would Have To hand In Several Pieces OF work Before Getting Feedback on one Because she was so Behind Due to Them Not Releasing Assignments On time for her. She's I'll anyway ANd This jusr put A lot Of Pressure On her that didnt Need to Be There. I'm So Proud Of Her for getting Through It And Passing despite The poor Managemement BUur i am puUtting A Complaint In to the providers ANd to The people Who oversee The Quality Of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending