The Student Room Group

Richard Dawkins event cancelled over his 'abusive speech against Islam'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
lol at KPFA's hypocrisy... the Dork was welcomed by them in previous years despite his vile attacks on Christianity.

Can you give one example of his 'vile attacks on Christianity'? It'd be good to discuss concrete examples, rather than having views stated without any supporting evidence - that's not going to persuade anyone.
I don't quite understand how you can book Dawkins, arguably the most famous living anti-religion author/speaker, then cancel it because you get backlash from the people who he has offended. If that's not the sort of person you want to book then that's absolutely fine, but why the hell would you book Dawkins in the first place when it only takes thirty seconds in Wikipedia to figure out religious groups really don't like him?
I agree, although I'd phrase it as "the people who have taken offense at what he says". To me, he seems very clam and measured in what he says. I have no idea how he stays so polite when others (e.g. Wendy Wright) debate biology with him.
"Activists"
Reply 44
As a traditionalist who believes in the importance, righteousness and and benefits of traditional values and in the existence of GOD, i'm not bothered about dawkins being denied being able to speak because he represents militant athiests who are intolerant of religion, religious people, and people believing in GOD. They constantly are trying to prove GOD doesn't exist and mocking, insulting and disrespecting people who beleive in GOD and their religious values and beleifs. So in this respect leftists can be used as useful idiots against another strain of leftism.

But this does not take away from the hypocritcal, devious and selective opposition reasons why the left did this and always does this, which is that dawkins specifically said things which muslims found offensive, if it was any other religion that he said the same thing about then leftists would not have done this because for them only muslims are among their victim groups which they have to be sjw's for and appease, because leftists want to use muslims for their own rotten leftist agenda even if muslims don't support their leftist ideology, since muslims some how in their minds fit into their leftist narrative.
Original post by Cubone-r
More evidence that the religion of Islam is somehow above criticism.. sad.

criticise Judaism or Israel and you see what happens... 'antisemite' *cough*
Original post by Assadullah1215
criticise Judaism or Israel and you see what happens... 'antisemite' *cough*

That is true, but we are talking about Islam here. Also, need I remind you of the Charlie Hebdo attacks? A long-standing satirical magazine that criticises all religions decided to one day make a joke about Islam. How did some Muslims respond to this? They decided to go to their offices and shoot them up in cold blood. Had Charlie Hebdo offices ever been attacked from other individuals from any of the other religions they have made jokes at over the years? No. While you may be called an "antisemite" (wrongly) for criticising Judaism, at least you will not be killed for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
While Dawkins' disrespect for Christianity is disgusting, he is spot on here.

It is beyond ridiculous that no one is allowed to criticise Islam without being subjected to a barrage of vicious and violent attacks and abuse from the liberal left - a group of people that claim to be staunchly against everything Islam stands for.
No religion is above criticism.
Original post by slade p
As a traditionalist who believes in the importance, righteousness and and benefits of traditional values and in the existence of GOD, i'm not bothered about dawkins being denied being able to speak because he represents militant athiests who are intolerant of religion, religious people, and people believing in GOD.
No, he doesn't. He has said numerous times that he respects people's right to believe what they want. What he does not accept is their right to impinge on the freedoms of others because of their faith.

They constantly are trying to prove GOD doesn't exist and mocking, insulting and disrespecting people who beleive in GOD and their religious values and beleifs. So in this respect leftists can be used as useful idiots against another strain of leftism.

Rubbish. Got an example? Not respecting a belief is not the same as respecting a person's right to hold it.
He does get overexcited
Original post by Cubone-r
That is true, but we are talking about Islam here. Also, need I remind you of the Charlie Hebdo attacks? A long-standing satirical magazine that criticises all religions decided to one day make a joke about Islam. How did some Muslims respond to this? They decided to go to their offices and shoot them up in cold blood. Had Charlie Hebdo offices ever been attacked from other individuals from any of the other religions they have made jokes at over the years? No. While you may be called an "antisemite" (wrongly) for criticising Judaism, at least you will not be killed for it.

I agree, you have crazies in all religions, not just Islam.
Original post by Golden State
No religion is above criticism.

Correct, none are special or deserving of protection in any way.
Original post by MrDystopia
Correct, none are special or deserving of protection in any way.

The thing i hate, is when Christians will claim that its completely fine to criticize islam but then get completely butthurt when someone criticizes their religion. Double standard much??
Both idiologies are as retarded as eachother.
Original post by r3035
terrible argument

obviously they are against individual Muslims if they are against Islam.

You can't have it both ways

If you are against the Nazi belief system, you also oppose the individuals who believe in it

So, that means you can NEVER criticise any idea because someone somewhere that holds the idea is going to be "abused", right?

Richard Dawkins is a Zionist, NWO puppet and Holocaust promoter.
Original post by Hotel1000
Richard Dawkins is a Zionist, NWO puppet and Holocaust promoter.

Holocaust promoter... are you saying that talking about the holocaust is promoting it.
Original post by slade p
They constantly are trying to prove GOD doesn't exist and mocking, insulting and disrespecting people who beleive in GOD and their religious values and beleifs. So in this respect leftists can be used as useful idiots against another strain of leftism.

You see, it is very difficult to stay calm when someone is stubborn in his claim that 2+2=5, and the argument for the illogical opinion is 'because I believe so'.
Reply 58
Original post by PTMalewski
You see, it is very difficult to stay calm when someone is stubborn in his claim that 2+2=5, and the argument for the illogical opinion is 'because I believe so'.

That analogy applies to atheists who are extremely irrational with what they believe.
Original post by slade p
That analogy applies to atheists who are extremely irrational with what they believe.

Atheist is a postiion of disbelief. If you met an atheist who beliefs in something, it's not an atheist.
You will always find idiots being for all views that exist in the world. The difference between them, is that some support an actual nonsense, and some accidentaly support a logical view, even if they don't understand it.
Religion is illogical, and many religions are dangerous to society. Don't be surprised
The fact problems with religion don't have so obvious output, doesn't mean they aren't very wrong.
A mistake in calculation can make a space rocket blow up, while religions can slow down or even destroy civilizations, and they certainly can destroy many clever people.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest