The Student Room Group

Tips for keeping organised and making good notes in year 11.

I am starting year 11 in September and I start the year being really organised and tidy but by about February my work and notes become less neat.
I noticed when I have to copy notes about topics it looks neat but my teachers make us do lots of starter questions and we have to stick worksheets in. This means I start rushing and my work doesn't look very neat.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining.

Does anyone have any good tips for keeping organised and making good notes or revision resources? Thanks.
Hello, something i wish i had done (but will be taking forth in college) is making short flashcards summarising the main points in each lesson; when it comes to your exams, you'll have a little bundle of concise notes for each topic per subject.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions regarding your gcse's, please don't hesitate to ask - I'd be more than happy to help and give you some advice!
Original post by Loci Pi
I am starting year 11 in September and I start the year being really organised and tidy but by about February my work and notes become less neat.
I noticed when I have to copy notes about topics it looks neat but my teachers make us do lots of starter questions and we have to stick worksheets in. This means I start rushing and my work doesn't look very neat.

Does anyone have any good tips for keeping organised and making good notes or revision resources? Thanks.
Original post by Loci Pi

Have colour coded files for each subject, for example, and have a file (whether that ring binders, files or whatever)

In terms of the neatness - does it really matter? Surely as long as you read it then that's all that matters - but if you're that bothered, could you get like a refill pad and transfer notes from excercise book and write out your notes in order (only with the relevant stuff in? - I did this with physics, and, although it took forever, it was very helpful) This would also help with starting to recall the information as it refreshes your memory. Alternatively, you could type the notes up and print them off.

Good luck with your GCSEs
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lisa.Williams
Hello, something i wish i had done (but will be taking forth in college) is making short flashcards summarising the main points in each lesson; when it comes to your exams, you'll have a little bundle of concise notes for each topic per subject.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions regarding your gcse's, please don't hesitate to ask - I'd be more than happy to help and give you some advice!

Thanks for the advice :smile:
When should I start revising? Do you think October or November will be alright?
okay so what i used to do was use those revision cards. Erm so the method i used was:

1. Make notes: full notes. So get down all the details. Everything you need to learn.
2. shorten these notes and make short phrases so like using the 3 dots in maths for "therefore" etc or conc for concentration
3. Use flashcards or revision to make small but useful notes. make these notes in such a way that you can use them for when your stuck on a question. so for instance say its an equation or formula youve forgotten, you can instantly take out your flashcard notes with the answer.

Making notes took me a really long time but doing them early is best and using short but useful notes is always best.

Good luck mate :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by danielwinstanley
Have colour coded files for each subject, for example, and have a file (whether that ring binders, files or whatever)

In terms of the neatness - does it really matter? Surely as long as you read it then that's all that matters - but if you're that bothered, could you get like a refill pad and transfer notes from excercise book and write out your notes in order (only with the relevant stuff in? - I did this with physics, and, although it took forever, it was very helpful) This would also help with starting to recall the information as it refreshes your memory. Alternatively, you could type the notes up and print them off.

Good luck with your GCSEs

Thanks for the tips. I'm such a perfectionist when it comes to neatness lol.
I will start typing up my year 10 notes and put them into a folder, although writing is good for memorisation. I might write out the French keywords as it will help me remember them - I can't seem to remember them for the life of me :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
oh and cool avatar :smile:. :u::yep:
Well, i'm a huge nerd and started studying ahead of my class. It wasn't until a few weeks beforehand that i even considered flashcards (i don't recommend you do the same). Start straight away by ensuring that you fully understand everything in class. Complete lots of past papers and read the mark schemes. The biggest thing to have is passion for learning, have that and you're all set.

I would love to help you get the grades you want since i have so many regrets but if you need help with anything, just say the word and i'll do my best. I hope you do fantastic throughout year 11 and get the grades you want!
Original post by Loci Pi
Thanks for the advice :smile:
When should I start revising? Do you think October or November will be alright?
Reply 8
Original post by Student1408
okay so what i used to do was use those revision cards. Erm so the method i used was:

1. Make notes: full notes. So get down all the details. Everything you need to learn.
2. shorten these notes and make short phrases so like using the 3 dots in maths for "therefore" etc or conc for concentration
3. Use flashcards or revision to make small but useful notes. make these notes in such a way that you can use them for when your stuck on a question. so for instance say its an equation or formula youve forgotten, you can instantly take out your flashcard notes with the answer.

Making notes took me a really long time but doing them early is best and using short but useful notes is always best.

Good luck mate :smile:

Thanks
Reply 9
Well, i'm a huge nerd and started studying ahead of my class. It wasn't until a few weeks beforehand that i even considered flashcards (i don't recommend you do the same). Start straight away by ensuring that you fully understand everything in class. Complete lots of past papers and read the mark schemes. The biggest thing to have is passion for learning, have that and you're all set.

I would love to help you get the grades you want since i have so many regrets but if you need help with anything, just say the word and i'll do my best. I hope you do fantastic throughout year 11 and get the grades you want!

Thank you. I'm sort of looking forward to year 11 to be honest. :smile:
You're very welcome. It's good to hear that - so long as you enjoy it, you'll be fine. Do you mind me asking which subjects you're taking?
Original post by Loci Pi
Thank you. I'm sort of looking forward to year 11 to be honest. :smile:
Reply 11
You're very welcome. It's good to hear that - so long as you enjoy it, you'll be fine. Do you mind me asking which subjects you're taking?

I am taking:
Maths - Edexcel
AQA Further Maths (this year)
English Language - AQA
English Literature - AQA
Biology - Edexcel
Chemistry - Edexcel
Physics - Edexcel
RE - Edexcel
Resistant Materials - WJEC
Computer Science - OCR
Child Development - AQA
French - AQA
Ah, i see. My strongest subjects were in the sciences (mainly physics) but if you need any help for any subject (apart from further maths, resistant materials, computer science or child development since i didn't do them), i'd be more than happy to help.

I wish you the best best best of luck for your upcoming year and gcse's!
Original post by Loci Pi
I am taking:
Maths - Edexcel
AQA Further Maths (this year)
English Language - AQA
English Literature - AQA
Biology - Edexcel
Chemistry - Edexcel
Physics - Edexcel
RE - Edexcel
Resistant Materials - WJEC
Computer Science - OCR
Child Development - AQA
French - AQA
Reply 13
Ah, i see. My strongest subjects were in the sciences (mainly physics) but if you need any help for any subject (apart from further maths, resistant materials, computer science or child development since i didn't do them), i'd be more than happy to help.

I wish you the best best best of luck for your upcoming year and gcse's!

Thanks. I like science as well :biggrin:
Yay!! We can both be science nerds!:colondollar:
Original post by Loci Pi
Thanks. I like science as well :biggrin:
Use subject dividers in your files and try to be disciplined with putting everything in the right places in folders
Reply 16
Original post by Little Popcorns
Use subject dividers in your files and try to be disciplined with putting everything in the right places in folders

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest