The Student Room Group

Is it worth staying on my degree?

I won't be able to move into third year (graduation year) until I spend the following year repeating two modules, thats two lectures a week. My degree is not finance related but I do want to start a finance career post degree. Shall I just drop out of uni and pursue an internship that will get me working in my desired field? I don't know if I can handle an extra year of study including awkward work shifts that will have to fit around my weekly lectures.

I know there are accountancy training programmes but I'm not sure of the length and how exactly they work. If it possible for me to build on the certificates from the programme and get a masters after some years of work experience that would be good news to me. I think I am just completely over my degree and I feel I am missing out on lots of potential that is within training programmes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Thighs
I won't be able to move into third year (graduation year) until I spend the following year repeating two modules, thats two lectures a week. My degree is not finance related but I do want to start a finance career post degree. Shall I just drop out of uni and pursue an internship that will get me working in my desired field? I don't know if I can handle an extra year of study including awkward work shifts that will have to fit around my weekly lectures.

I know there are accountancy training programmes but I'm not sure of the length and how exactly they work. If it possible for me to build on the certificates from the programme and get a masters after some years of work experience that would be good news to me. I think I am just completely over my degree and I feel I am missing out on lots of potential that is within training programmes.

You seem to have a few options.

You can resit your second year, with the aim of completing your degree. With a 2.1 degree you are eligible to apply to a lot of big accounting firms for various roles. From my experience, the degree doesnt matter so much as long as you have a 2.1.

Or you can drop out. If you drop out, you probably won't get a traditional internship in the way that a lot of second year students do. Those are aimed at students who will go on to graduate and start the job from a graduate level. If you drop out of uni I doubt that route will be open to you.

However, if you drop out you have different options. I believe the big 4 (and perhaps others) offer a school levers scheme. If you have strong A Levels, then that might be a route in for you. I think these schemes are 2 or 3 years, and at the end, you then move in to an equivalent role as a graduate joining the company. So same outcome as a degree, but without the debt.

I wouldn't be worrying about if it leads on to a masters degree if I was you.
Reply 2
Original post by josh_v
You seem to have a few options.

You can resit your second year, with the aim of completing your degree. With a 2.1 degree you are eligible to apply to a lot of big accounting firms for various roles. From my experience, the degree doesnt matter so much as long as you have a 2.1.

Or you can drop out. If you drop out, you probably won't get a traditional internship in the way that a lot of second year students do. Those are aimed at students who will go on to graduate and start the job from a graduate level. If you drop out of uni I doubt that route will be open to you.

However, if you drop out you have different options. I believe the big 4 (and perhaps others) offer a school levers scheme. If you have strong A Levels, then that might be a route in for you. I think these schemes are 2 or 3 years, and at the end, you then move in to an equivalent role as a graduate joining the company. So same outcome as a degree, but without the debt.

I wouldn't be worrying about if it leads on to a masters degree if I was you.

Hello you mentioned that it is possible for second year students to pursue an internship. Since I will only have two modules in the following year I believe I could be a good candidate (assuming I stay on my degree), do you where I can find out more about this option? I'm assuming it's not just a summer internship?

My a levels are not so good so I don't think I can do the leavers programme. I am reading more about the different training programmes and it seems they take 2-3 years from what I have seen.

So if I drop out I would spend potentially one year extra in education than what I am already going to do - however it will also give me work experience and be much more practical hence I would enjoy it a lot more than my dreadful degree
Reply 3
Original post by Thighs
Hello you mentioned that it is possible for second year students to pursue an internship. Since I will only have two modules in the following year I believe I could be a good candidate (assuming I stay on my degree), do you where I can find out more about this option? I'm assuming it's not just a summer internship?

My a levels are not so good so I don't think I can do the leavers programme. I am reading more about the different training programmes and it seems they take 2-3 years from what I have seen.

So if I drop out I would spend potentially one year extra in education than what I am already going to do - however it will also give me work experience and be much more practical hence I would enjoy it a lot more than my dreadful degree

Most second year students apply for summer internships. You can also apply for off cycle internships at some firms. However, only having two modules to do this year doesnt make you a good candidate. Having failed second year makes you a worse candidate than those who have good grades. Internships are highly competitive.

Dropping out won't automatically give you work experience and be practical. You actually need to find someone willing to take you on first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending