The Student Room Group

Is my driving instructor ripping me off for test day??

my driving instructor wants £85 to rent his car and on top of the £20 per hour for the test day. does this sound reasonable or am i getting treated as a cash cow?? my test is in 8 days. pls help :frown:
Sounds like you're being ripped off to me. I had an hour lesson right before the test, so I paid for 2 hours (the hour lesson and an hour for using the car for the actual test and my instructor waiting for me at the test centre to drive me home again).
I think mine was £40
You're being ripped off. You should only have to pay for an hour (using their car) and maybe an hour before so you can have a lesson.
Reply 4
Original post by jimbojohn
my driving instructor wants £85 to rent his car and on top of the £20 per hour for the test day. does this sound reasonable or am i getting treated as a cash cow?? my test is in 8 days. pls help :frown:

I did pay a similar price but I had 1-2hours of driving before the test
Your instructor's got a bloody cheek.

You should only have to pay the standard lesson rate.
Wow wth. Ive paid 30-40 quid including a lesson on the day.
Reply 7
This thread should be in Learning to Drive - just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get that moved for you.

Sounds like a rip-off.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Your instructor's got a bloody cheek.

You should only have to pay the standard lesson rate.

I agree, if anything he should charge less for "hiring the car" as he's not actually going to be working during that hour, but sitting back and relaxing. Cheeky instructor indeed.
Reply 9
this all equates to £85(hire)+£40 for 2 hour lesson before + £20 for test hour = 145
and i wanna do at least 2 more hours so that equates to about £185+

i'm only 17 so he may see me as thick and get an extra bit in
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jimbojohn
this all equates to £85(hire)+£40 for 2 hour lesson before + £20 for test hour = 145
and i wanna do at least 2 more hours so that equates to about £85+

i'm only 17 so he may see me as thick and get an extra bit in

You can drive your own car for the test, it doesn't have to be the examiners, so bare that in mind if you have been using a different car at home to practice.
Reply 11
You can drive your own car for the test, it doesn't have to be the examiners, so bare that in mind if you have been using a different car at home to practice.

I use my instructors car. my brothers has a 2013 plate 1 series and is way to powerful for me. also my mum has a zafira which is way too big. i dont know anyone with a decent small engine car hence why i use my instructors
I started using my own car because my instructor was costing me £80 to do the test in his car to cover stuff like 'insurance' which doesnt even exist !! (i called and checked)
Reply 13
Original post by Ollie1999
I started using my own car because my instructor was costing me £80 to do the test in his car to cover stuff like 'insurance' which doesnt even exist !! (i called and checked)

Well, you do need insurance to drive a car..
My son is paying £640 for ten 2 hour lesson, that is on top of the ten 1 hour lesson at £320. Now he wants £130 for the rent of the car for the test day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending