The Student Room Group

Am I conservative or liberal on gay issues?

I used to think I was liberal especially in the 2000's and among my mother and father's family I'm pretty liberal. But generally now I tend to veer more right it seems with the same view as in the past. Example I'm very pro gay marriage but I don't approve of transpeople going to the wrong bathroom. I favor the right to refuse but I don't think lgbt people should be discriminated against either. I also am wishy washy on gay adoptions. I think gay men should not adopt but lesbians can as couples. I was all for gays serving openly in the military but I'm actually mostly against hate crimes for anyone for that matter. There's a few other issues but overall on lgbt issues do I seem moderate conservative or liberal?

Scroll to see replies

I also think transpeople shouldn't go to the wrong bathroom - imagine making a transwoman go to the mens room! How barbaric!

You're a garbage homophobic, transphobic bigot. Not really sure why you felt the need to publicise that online.
You definitely sound confused, almost like you're on the fence of pro-LGBT. For example, your views on gay adoption for gay males or gay females sound very weird... In fact, that's more of a sexism issue than an LGBT issue.

To answer your question though, you sound like you lean more to anti-LGBT than pro :smile:
I don't understand why it matters so much, let people do whatever they want to do and live the way they want to live. The only time it becomes a problem when people start shoving these types of matters down your throat.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
when people start shoving these types of matters down your throat.

Gay reference there *cough cough*
Original post by JordLndr
Gay reference there *cough cough*

lol
You sound kind of centrist, if a little homophobic. Why shouldn't gay men adopt? There are many capable single fathers so surely a gay couple is twice as good?
Reply 7
I'm very sexist when it comes lgbt people tbh. That's true. I tend to think men in general are promiscuous compared to women and gay men aren't an exception to me. Just another example. I just think generally with adoption gay men are like single men. So if a single man can't adopt neither should gay men. But I do think they have a right to raise their own biological children just like any other father. My own father was bisexual.
Original post by Whispers
You definitely sound confused, almost like you're on the fence of pro-LGBT. For example, your views on gay adoption for gay males or gay females sound very weird... In fact, that's more of a sexism issue than an LGBT issue.

To answer your question though, you sound like you lean more to anti-LGBT than pro :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
I also think transpeople shouldn't go to the wrong bathroom - imagine making a transwoman go to the mens room! How barbaric!

You're a garbage homophobic, transphobic bigot. Not really sure why you felt the need to publicise that online.

Why not think for one moment?

Here's a question. What's the physical difference from a transwoman from a biological man? How can you know who is actually telling the truth?

The answer is there is none. Transwomen don't all take hormones wear make up wigs or dresses etc....

Instead of resorting to namecalling why not critically think? or are you incapable of such?
Reply 9
Original post by Wanderlust96
You sound kind of centrist, if a little homophobic. Why shouldn't gay men adopt? There are many capable single fathers so surely a gay couple is twice as good?

Well yeah if a single father is allowed to adopt then so should a gay couple. But I'm more comfortable with a single woman over a single man.
I'm very much a live and let live, do what you want so long as you're not hurting anyone kinda guy.

Sorta silly to suggest that a trans person shouldn't go into the "wrong" bathroom - for what reason? How would you then justify gay people going into men's toilets and potentially seeing other men's penises?
Original post by justme3991
Why not think for one moment?

Here's a question. What's the physical difference from a transwoman from a biological man? How can you know who is actually telling the truth?

The answer is there is none. Transwomen don't all take hormones wear make up wigs or dresses etc....

Instead of resorting to namecalling why not critically think? or are you incapable of such?

Well, you don't seem to much be called a homophobic, transphobic bigot. Transwomen don't much like being called men when they aren't, although they often aren't in a position to defend themselves from that without putting themselves in danger.

So while it doesn't even amount to a fraction of what a transperson would be feel being misgendered and forced to use a bathroom of an opposite gender, I will at least take some small solace in the fact that you don't like to be called a transphobic, homophobic bigot and maybe you'll being to appreciate in some small way how transmen and women feel about your comments, although it's a fairly glib comparison. But I will persist on principle.

Because you're a bigoted, transphobic homophobe.
Reply 12
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'm very much a live and let live, do what you want so long as you're not hurting anyone kinda guy.

Sorta silly to suggest that a trans person shouldn't go into the "wrong" bathroom - for what reason? How would you then justify gay people going into men's toilets and potentially seeing other men's penises?

No the reason I don't believe they should go to a bathroom that's their opposite sex is because there is no way to know if someone is trans or not. We have to trust that they are telling the truth. Someone who looks like Lebron James could use the woman's bathroom and say they're trans there's no way to tell if someone is lying or not.
Reply 13
that kid just has long hair. But not all transpeople look like her you live in a small idea of what transgender people look like. They don't all crossdress...
Reply 14
Well, you don't seem to much be called a homophobic, transphobic bigot. Transwomen don't much like being called men when they aren't, although they often aren't in a position to defend themselves from that without putting themselves in danger.

So while it doesn't even amount to a fraction of what a transperson would be feel being misgendered and forced to use a bathroom of an opposite gender, I will at least take some small solace in the fact that you don't like to be called a transphobic, homophobic bigot and maybe you'll being to appreciate in some small way how transmen and women feel about your comments, although it's a fairly glib comparison. But I will persist on principle.

I have dated transwomen.... I never said they were men. Try again.

I really could care less that you call me that. I'm apart of the trans community since I'm intersex so I know more of what I'm talking about there. lol
Reply 15
like I said there is no physical difference and I've seen how they present differently enough to know there's no way to tell the difference between a bio man and a trans woman and vice versa. So how can they be included in this case? It's impossible. I think most people realize this though.
Original post by justme3991
Well yeah if a single father is allowed to adopt then so should a gay couple. But I'm more comfortable with a single woman over a single man.

Why?

You're nullifying your entire argument with the repeated name calling. As much as you think someone's opinion is wrong, they do have the right to have a different opinion to you.

I know there are many people who secretly think black people are inferior but honestly, name-calling and constant intimidation is only going to make them hide their opinions and pretend to be tolerant in public when in fact they're not. That is dangerous. That's the kind of behaviour that puts Trump in the White House.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
You're nullifying your entire argument with the repeated name calling. As much as you think someone's opinion is wrong, they do have the right to have a different opinion to you.

I know there are many people who secretly think black people are inferior but honestly, name-calling and constant intimidation is only going to make them hide their opinions and pretend to be tolerant in public when in fact they're not. That is dangerous. That's the kind of behaviour that puts Trump in the White House.

This is literally the worst kind of approach. I will 100% call out people on their bigotry every single time because you know what? They deserve to feel ashamed and hide their opinions.

Trump won the US election not because people "hid their opinions" but because the entire US goverment has been structured around disenfranchising certain voter groups since it's inception and that has consistently been preserved and slowly "improved" to ensure that "dissenting" voters are not given a voice. Why do you think a majority black state like Louisiana brought in voter ID laws requiring voters to go to a DMV to get the relevant ID, closed the DMVs in every black majority census area, and mandated that DMVs close on weekends and outside regular business hours, necessitating people to take time off work to do so? Don't bring up political systems you don't understand in defending a bigot.

Not to mention Trump actually won the presidency partly because the continued media acceptance of his outrageously bigoted behaviours towards women, people of colour, Muslims and others sent the message to people that this kind of behaviour was acceptable and should be supported. It was supported, and now the US has record levels of hate crimes occurring across the country.

The only valid response to this type of attitude is to stamp it out by systematically ostracizing those who prey on already vulnerable minority peoples, particularly where they have been systematically denied the rights and entitlements due them under a just system.
Original post by Wanderlust96

I would agree with this, on the gay rights aspect. From a trans perspective, definitely more typically conservative though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending