The Student Room Group

How old is too old to call your parents "mummy" and "daddy"?

I'm a fully fledged adult and I still call my dad daddy sometimes lol.. it's just automatic. I know a couple other girls who do and a boy who does it as a jokey kind of thing. Do you think there's an age limit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm a fully fledged adult and I still call my dad daddy sometimes lol.. it's just automatic. I know a couple other girls who do and a boy who does it as a jokey kind of thing. Do you think there's an age limit?

I feel like women can do it for a lot longer than men can.
If you didn't stop by about 11 at the latest, you should realise you were probably one of the kids at school that people always thought was a bit off. What I'm trying to say is, stop now.
Reply 3
Original post by That'sGreat
If you didn't stop by about 11 at the latest, you should realise you were probably one of the kids at school that people always thought was a bit off. What I'm trying to say is, stop now.

says the guy with nigel farage as his profile pic
Reply 4
I still do and I'm a 19 boy. But generally not in third person (e.g. "Daddy is abroad"), unless I'm talking to my mum.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by usualsuspects
I still do and I'm a 19 boy. But generally not in third person (e.g. "Daddy is abroad":wink:, unless I'm talking to my mum.

no i never do in 3rd person haha
is stopped before high school I think.

I cant imagine an adult saying "mummy" without a squeeky voice. lmao
It's never too old? If you love saying it and most importantly love them then who cares? Imo it's immature that you even asked this. There's nothing wrong with you! :smile:

No age limit - you call them what you damn well want!
Reply 9
It is common for posh people to call their parents that into adulthood..

For the rest of us, about 10ish is too old..
Both I and my (younger) siblings still do for the simple reason that we just never switched. The longer you go on, the harder it would be to change; I'm now 17, so I doubt that I'd be likely to ever change. One of my sisters has had periods of a couple of days where she decided to be "more grown-up" (her words), and switched to Mum & Dad - my parents had no qualms about it - but she soon switched back. Your parents are the first people you get to know, and as such suddenly calling them something different can be difficult - I've never seen any reason to do so!

In the third-person, for myself and my siblings, they're Mum & Dad. In the second-person, they're Mummy & Daddy. It's just the way things have worked out!
naw buddy there's no age limit. Their your parents. You call them by what comes naturally to you. :smile: If someone finds it weird then they're just overly judgmental tbh. Like why should someone care what you call your parents by? I say mum and mummy interchangeably. Just whatever comes naturally to tongue. :smile: I say it's totally normal
I'm 16, and I still call my parents that, and I think I will keep on doing it forever. For me its shows a closer bond and affection
Never called them that. Seems very childish to me. Maybe it was just the household I grew up in.
Reply 14
My nephew just straight up calls my brother by his first name most of the time, and always has done :gthumb:
I'm 19 and I still call them that sometimes :P I think it's just affectionate really. I would not say it to others when referring to them though, only when I'm actually adressing my parents. For example, I wouldn't say "it's my mommy's birthday soon" to a friend, I'd just say Mom. I don't really think it matters if I'm honest. As long as they're not still feeding you, dressing you, and wiping your arse for you into your adulthood, I don't really think it means anything. It just depends on what you are your parents are comfortable with.
Personally I find it strange but I'm strange because I call them by their first names.

Think women can do it for a lot longer and if theyre posh they can for even longer :lol:
I say Mum and Dad,not mummy and daddy.
Sadly I lost my dad last year, however I did still call him Daddy often. Call Mum Mummy as well. Sometimes as a jokey sort of thing like 'Mummmyyyyy please can you get me a drinnnkkkk?' or when I just want something and she might say No if I don't say it in a begging sort of way! haha. Same with Dad. I'm 21 in September! I don't think there's an age limit. Whatever you are comfortable with. I don't care what other people think of me. If they think it's weird that I call them Mummy and Daddy on occasion, then so be it. But it's part of our family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending