The Student Room Group

The WWE Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6200
Original post by Aky786UK
If Hornswoggle is Vinny Mac's 'son' in WWE world then this shouldn't be a great surprise, more so disappointment with the teases..

Apparently WWE sees a midcard push for Jordan. Really, the only way this ends is with it being a ruse by Triple H and Stephanie.
Reply 6201
We've gone from the hottest WWE b-level PPV of the year, Great Balls of Fire, to the worst, Battleground. This has to be the least hot build to a PPV I've ever seen from WWE. Last night's SmackDown was the go-home show and such little of note happened. Jinder Mahal previewed his Punjabi Prison match with Randy Orton, cutting the same "I'm foreign, boo me" promo that he has been cutting for over a month. The Singh Brothers having the mic was a welcome change, but merely running through the rules of the bout before Mahal spoke to "his people" was stale. Mahal needs to develop his character now. Hopefully, once he's done with Orton, he can move on because his title reign, at this stage, has been a dud - and that's because he hasn't progressed or developed. He has cut the same promo for a month+.

In terms of in-ring action, we saw Jimmy Uso beat Kofi Kingston after using the New Day member's momentum to roll through and get the pin. These teams have swapped wins in recent weeks and the rivalry has been really good. It's probably lacked a bit of intensity since the rap battle, though. I'm hopeful the Usos coming out on top last night doesn't mean they drop the belts come Sunday. I think they deserve a longer run and The New Day are better chasing the titles. The typical 50/50 booking worries me here, though. No such worries in the women's division, which saw Tamina stand tall out of her, Lana, Natalya, Becky Lynch and Charlotte. She stands no chance of winning the Fatal 5-Way this weekend, which will see a No. 1 Contender crowned, so I had no trouble with her looking dominant last night, after Lynch had made Charlotte tap out in singles competition.

We saw Chad Gable sit down with Renee Young to discuss the Jason Jordan/Kurt Angle shtick, and he promised big things were to come. I've enjoyed his showcase recently - vs AJ Styles and Kevin Owens, and backstage with Maria Kanellis and Sami Zayn. Hopefully he continues this upward trajectory. As for Zayn, he lost to Mike Kanellis after Maria's interference last night, in a feud which is quietly impressing me. It's good Zayn is doing something different than the worn Owens/Baron Corbin feuds. These two have a legitimate rivalry and it has been very clear, logical storytelling.

Something which has NOT been that is the John Cena vs Rusev feud. The heel came out on top last night, after Cena cut a typical, run-of-the-mill promo which just previewed Sunday's full PPV card. The image of Rusev standing on top of Cena will never get old, but this feud feels like it's straight out of 2015 and feeding Rusev to Cena is a questionable first feud for both superstars, in my view. In the main event, Owens picked up a well-needed win as he and Corbin overcame Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura. Having Corbin attack the latter to kick-start the main event was smart. He is becoming a heel with increased heat, owing to the cowardly nature of these attacks. These two singles bouts will be really solid on Sunday, but the build has been lazy.

On 205 Live, Mustapha Ali overcame Drew Gulak in a 2 out of 3 Falls Match. It was ridiculous this wasn't the main event, if we're honest. The match lacked intensity and heat, and RAW hardly helped things on Monday night, giving the pair limited time to build hype for it. We then saw The Brian Kendrick run over some British jobber in a continuation of his feud with Jack Gallagher, who curiously didn't come out to help save the poor jobber from a beatdown. The main event saw Akira Tozawa beat Ariya Daivari before the heel attacked that injured shoulder, which was at the centre of their bit on RAW, suggesting this feud will just run and run.
Original post by Aky786UK
If Hornswoggle is Vinny Mac's 'son' in WWE world then this shouldn't be a great surprise, more so disappointment with the teases..

I'm not sure if it was better or worse than the idea that Mr Kennedy was going to be because his name is Kennedy.

Don't get Vince's obsession with illegitimate secret children and incest. Ok, so now they're related, but they're still the same characters. It's not exactly an Undertaker/Kane dynamic.
Reply 6203
Batlleground predictions:
- John Cena ('Murica, 'Murica, **** Yeah!) def. Rusev in a Flag Match.
- Tye Dillinger def. Aiden English.
- Charlotte def. Becky Lynch, Natalya, Tamina Snuka and Lana in a Fatal 5-Way to determine the No. 1 Contender for Naomi's WWE SmackDown Women's Championship.
- Mike Kanellis def. Sami Zayn.
- Shinsuke Nakamura def. Baron Corbin.
- The Usos def. The New Day in a WWE SmackDown Tag-Team Championships match.
- AJ Styles def. Kevin Owens for the US Championship.
- Jinder Mahal def. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship in a Punjabi Prison Match.
Orton will win but Baron Corbin will cash in
Reply 6205
Original post by AR_95

Just get that goddamn title off that jobber.
Original post by AR_95

I say Cena beats Jinder for AMERICA at SummerSlam, breaking Ric's official record. There's confetti and Nikki etc. then Baron jumps him during the historical moment/celebration and cashes in.

And if they really like Cena, Cena still wins.
Is it worrying that I'm far more excited about watching Raw on Monday night than I am about the PPV tomorrow?

Only watched a few Smackdowns in the last few months and nearly dozed off during Backlash and MITB. I told myself I was gonna watch both brands all year from mania to mania but I just can't tolerate SmackDown!!
Reply 6208
Original post by IanDangerously
Is it worrying that I'm far more excited about watching Raw on Monday night than I am about the PPV tomorrow?

Only watched a few Smackdowns in the last few months and nearly dozed off during Backlash and MITB. I told myself I was gonna watch both brands all year from mania to mania but I just can't tolerate SmackDown!!

It was a tedious go-home show. The Flag Match and Punjabi Prison do nothing to excite me. The heat for the Usos/ New Day feud was brilliant after the Rap Battle. They should have had that on this Tuesday night. The momentum was with them, but then the feud has lost traction owing to the fact they've been booked in two singles match over the past fortnight. I'm not even massively excited for AJ vs Owens at this point, either.

What did you do beforehand? Smackdown was the unanimously agreed best brand up to the WrestleMania build, then it got castrated. Since WrestleMania month they've been heavily sabotaged so Raw stops looking so bad. It's not subtle at all.
Reply 6210
Urgh. So WWE tries to make up for a lukewarm PPV build with shocks on the night - but they were all pointless.

Tye Dillinger losing to Aidan English on the pre-show makes zero sense. Dillinger is a fan favourite and has potential, but WWE is saddling him with poor booking and a lack of screen time. Sure, English needs wins occasionally - but at the expense of Dillinger, in a fairly high profile match? Dillinger hasn't been on SmackDown for weeks. Having him eat a bin was really disappointing. He's the new Zack Ryder. WWE will just punish him for getting over organically.

The idea of giving Natalya the win the Fatal 5-Way No 1 Contender's Match for Naomi's SmackDown Women's Championship was questionable at best, too. I'm a big fan of her - she's a loyal servant to the company, a capable ring hand and has always lacked a killer programme with somebody due to WWE's preference to book multi-woman matches, rather than individual female storylines. But she was the least intriguing option to win this to go onto face Naomi. Charlotte is an opponent worthy of Summerslam, and she and Naomi have unfinished business. Her and Becky Lynch not winning could mean WWE has something planned for the Four Horsewomen. I'm glad Lana wasn't victorious, but Natalya? At this point, even Tamina was a more intriguing pick as victor.

Having Mike Kanellis lose his first PPV match to Sami Zayn was disappointing. He needs to win his first feud otherwise fans won't buy in. It's simple wrestling 101. The end to the Baron Corbin vs Shinsuke Nakamura match was mightily underwhelming, too. Sure, it protects both men but Nakamura is looking all too human on the main roster right now. He needs credibility and by being outsmarted, outmuscled by Corbin isn't it utilising his full potential.

There was no payoff in the Breezango mystery attacker angle, as we were promised, and shifting the US Championship back to Kevin Owens after such a relatively brief reign for AJ Styles is nonsensical. The two put on a hell of a match - I'd expect nothing less - but I want to see a Styles US Open Challenge every week, personally.

The other two matches were just a complete dud. That was no way to end a PPV. John Cena went over - as expected - in a patriotism-fuelled horror show. Rusev needs a complete character reset now - and maybe even a face turn. He's shown personality and character on Total Divas. Thing is, SmackDown lacks a killer heel right now. Rusev could be that man - if booked correctly. The Punjabi Prison match was pure dirge, too. It's so hard to watch that match on TV - something i had forgotten. The Great Khali swerve was just for the sake of it, seemingly, and I'm annoyed because this means we'll inevitably get Cena vs Mahal at Summerslam, in another "I'm a foreigner, boo me" angle. I'm very sick of WWE's jingoism at this stage. As for Orton, I have no idea where he goes from here, but I hope to god it isn't a feud with Khali. Khali was a dire dire performer.

The tag team bout was the best of the night by some distance. Both teams looked like absolute stars and I wouldn't bet against them being future HOFers. Xavier Woods showed he could wrestle, The New Day get the belts and can carry the division going forward, it was a logical conclusion to the feud with the babyfaces going over. Win win. But the PPV itself had the weakest buildup of the year, so it's not surprising to say it fell flat.
Not sure Jinder needs more 'muscle' around him, he's got plenty himself..
The funniest thing about WWEs jingoism this time around is that the villains are from countries that the US has no actual heat with.

Mahal's entire character is that he's Indian, which is fine but Orton has never been portrayed as a patriotic flag waving type of character so him being the one defending the country makes no sense. Cena has been portrayed that way but is defending his countrys honour against Bulgaria ... who are allied with his own country.

I think they came up with the flag and colours theme for the PPV marketing first and then tried to build the show to tie into it. It didn't work. The show was beyond dull.
The great khaki returns and all jbl says is " that's the creator" WTF
any one else wanna see AJ Styles vs Nakamura
Reply 6215
The funniest thing about WWEs jingoism this time around is that the villains are from countries that the US has no actual heat with.

Mahal's entire character is that he's Indian, which is fine but Orton has never been portrayed as a patriotic flag waving type of character so him being the one defending the country makes no sense. Cena has been portrayed that way but is defending his countrys honour against Bulgaria ... who are allied with his own country.

I think they came up with the flag and colours theme for the PPV marketing first and then tried to build the show to tie into it. It didn't work. The show was beyond dull.

I found Cena dropping a 9/11 reference for a Flag Match nobody cares about with a two week build very distasteful.
Original post by Mackay
I found Cena dropping a 9/11 reference for a Flag Match nobody cares about with a two week build very distasteful.

I missed that, haven't been watching SmackDown recently because of the general lack of interest in the stories. What did he say?

They were disrespectful to both countries last night by dropping their flags on the ground. Repeatedly. That's considered highly offensive to some US citizens apparently
Reply 6217
I missed that, haven't been watching SmackDown recently because of the general lack of interest in the stories. What did he say?

They were disrespectful to both countries last night by dropping their flags on the ground. Repeatedly. That's considered highly offensive to some US citizens apparently

It was his usual shtick, but basically said that after 9/11 USA stood tall and it will always stand tall. Comparing a Flag Match v Rusev to 9/11 ffs. Honestly.

Thing in, America is probably the most easy country to resonate with across the world. It has universal issues and problems, which nearly every culture can relate to. WWE would be better doing that than tapping into some 1980s-inspired jingoism. Even Kevin Owens, in his pre-match promo last night, said he was better than AJ because "he was Canadian." The Mahal/Rusev angles are based purely on xenophobia, and the Owens/Styles feud has undertones of it too. As a Brit, I just can't buy into it.
the Punjabi Prison match was awful, it felt like it lasted about a decade and the Singh's and Khali getting involved was just infuriating.

the sooner Jinder loses the title the better, it's been a dire title run and it has been non stop awful, he's getting slightly better in the ring but still isn't anything like as good as Orton and **** me is he bad on the mic, he sounds like he badly needs a throat sweet and he repeats the same dreadful boring lines over & over & over.
Reply 6219
RAW is so so far ahead of SmackDown at this point. I'm so glad we're getting a Fatal 4-Way at Summerslam. That's absolutely the right decision. WWE had apparently wanted it to be a Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns, but now having Braun Strowman or Samoa Joe in the main event would have been a farce. The four are absolute powerhouses and it will be a real hoss slugfest. The opening segment last night was electric - one of the best Monday night brawls I've ever seen - and Strowman consistently being showcased is so smart. He's becoming one of the most dominant men in WWE history.

There were plenty of other high points to Monday's show, too. Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins' teasing of dissension is so smart. It makes complete sense for Ambrose to be untrusting of Rollins, and the intrigue surrounding their relationship has added mystique and breathed life into two stale characters. Rollins being turned on by a heel Ambrose will help elicit sympathy for somebody who is currently a stale babyface, but I'm not sure that will happen. I don't want a Shield reunion - the two beat the Miztourage in the main event and the Miz, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas don't seem a big enough threat to warrant a Shield reunion - but I'm not sure WWE sees Ambrose as a midcard/upper midcard heel. We shall see. This kind of felt like the culmination of the feud, especially with the announcement the Miz will host Jason Jordan on MizTV. That hints at a Miz vs Jordan feud, which I would welcome with open arms. We saw Jordan beat Curt Hawkins in a squash showcase last night - but he obviously needs bigger challenges if he's to shine in his role.

Having Bayley go over to become No 1 Contender to Alexa Bliss may seem odd, but it's clearly geared up to spark a Sasha Banks heel turn. Banks lost last night and showcased a new darkness we haven't seen before, even in her promo before the match. I'd love to see her go heel at Summerslam and cost Bayley the title. A month ago, Bayley was as dead as anything. Now she has relevancy - and a Banks vs Bayley feud has money written all over it. Elsewhere, Nia Jax beat Emma in a squash after the latter called out WWE on Twitter for under-utilising her (ridiculous) and the Club are seemingly babyfaces now. They faced off and lost to the Revival, before the Hardy Boyz descended on the ring and caused the heels to retreat. If Jeff and Matt are battling with Dash and Dawson, I'd love the undervalued and under-utilised Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows to enter the title scene, facing Sheamus and Cesaro.

To be fair, there were a couple of missteps. We saw Elias Samson beat Finn Balor in a No DQ match in the opening match of the night. Balor showcased a meaner side, which is welcome, but was cost the win by Bray Wyatt, who did his usual trickery to get the upper hand. We've seen it a thousand times before at this point. But the match itself was solid, Samson - one of the best heels on either roster - picked up a landmark win, and a Wyatt vs Balor feud could spark the return of the Demon. Elsewhere, Big Cass ran over Enzo in a rematch from Great Balls of Fire (something I didn't really enjoy) before he beat down the Big Show, too. We're clearly set up for a Cass vs Show Summerslam bout - but why? Cass has got the upper hand two weeks in a row now. This did nothing to advance the feud, either. It felt like a repeat from last week. We also saw Daviari insert himself into the cruiserweight title picture - something which is curious given his lack of screen time so far. He left Neville and Akira Tozawa on the mat.

Quick Reply

Latest