The Student Room Group

National 5 Mathematics

Anybody know of any online courses that would allow me to sit a National 5 in Mathematics? I need it to get into uni and the only online course I can find is through a GCSE with ics learn, where I've heard mixed reviews.

If anyone has heard of/ studied through ics learn or knows of any other online courses I could try, please get in touch!

Thankyou!
Original post by ohdecisions
HiI'm not sure where you are located but the Nat 5 Maths course is offered by many further education colleges in Scotland - some also offer it through distance learning where you would only need to attend college to sit the 3 unit assessments. I know Dundee and Angus College and Edinburgh College do a distance learning option but there are probably others too.

Original post by Rachaelclairee
Anybody know of any online courses that would allow me to sit a National 5 in Mathematics? I need it to get into uni and the only online course I can find is through a GCSE with ics learn, where I've heard mixed reviews.

If anyone has heard of/ studied through ics learn or knows of any other online courses I could try, please get in touch!

Thankyou!

As ohdecisions said, your best bet would be to do it through an evening/distance learning course. However, due to changes to National 5 qualifications this year, you don't need to worry about unit assessments as they have been removed from Nat 5s (and will be phased out of Higher/Ah in the next couple of years), so if you go for distance learning, all you need to do is attend to sit the actual exam in May. Hope this helps :smile:
Check if your university will accept the Open University's MU123 "Discovering Maths" as an alternative to National 5.
Original post by ohdecisions
HiI'm not sure where you are located but the Nat 5 Maths course is offered by many further education colleges in Scotland - some also offer it through distance learning where you would only need to attend college to sit the 3 unit assessments. I know Dundee and Angus College and Edinburgh College do a distance learning option but there are probably others too.

I'm already set to study 2 highers with edinburgh college and they only allow two highers/nat 5's to be studied in one year. Any other college's would be too far to travel. Hence the online course.
Original post by Ring Zero
Check if your university will accept the Open University's MU123 "Discovering Maths" as an alternative to National 5.

Thanks, I'll find out!
Original post by Rachaelclairee

Thankyou!

Wallace College in Edinburgh will let you sit the exams, and they offer tuition as well (although you may want to make your own arrangements for that). It's not terribly expensive for the exams either.
Original post by DonAchille
Wallace College in Edinburgh will let you sit the exams, and they offer tuition as well (although you may want to make your own arrangements for that). It's not terribly expensive for the exams either.

Perfect,thank you so much!
Hey Guys! I am more mature student (24) and I sat my national 5 in college so I can go on to sit my Post Grad in Primary Teaching. I found the exam quite difficult as I haven't done maths in 6 years!

So... Do you get working marks within maths? I have used the correct methods throughout the whole exam (except question 11 in p2) but I haven't necessarily got the correct answers but my working should be correct. I really need a C at national 5 level and I am very stressed about it.

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by JodieL101
Hey Guys! I am more mature student (24) and I sat my national 5 in college so I can go on to sit my Post Grad in Primary Teaching. I found the exam quite difficult as I haven't done maths in 6 years!

So... Do you get working marks within maths? I have used the correct methods throughout the whole exam (except question 11 in p2) but I haven't necessarily got the correct answers but my working should be correct. I really need a C at national 5 level and I am very stressed about it.

Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi :smile:
Yes, you can some get marks for the correct working, even if your numbers/final answer is wrong, but obviously it wouldn't get you full marks in a question

Hope you get the result you need :smile:
Thank you so much :smile: I think I could possibly scrape a C but I just don't know :frown: Hope this week goes quickly!

I hope you get all the results you need too!

Original post by Labrador99
Hi :smile:
Yes, you can some get marks for the correct working, even if your numbers/final answer is wrong, but obviously it wouldn't get you full marks in a question

Hope you get the result you need :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending