The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sarah99630
after a levels can i pursue an MD/PHD program or do I need to have done an undergraduate in something before that? help pls. thanks! :smile:

You usually need to do a Bachelor's and Master's before a PHD.
Reply 2
I am not sure if there is anything stopping a person going straight onto a PHD course other than convincing the admissions staff so theoretically if you somehow already had enough experience to not need an undergraduate degree and you could prove that to the admissions office for example years of relevant work experience then maybe they would allow it, but generally it is required for you to have a bachelors degree (3 years) and then a Masters degree (a further 1 year) in order to be considered for a PHD program.

Just wondering are you curious about the education system or do you think you are special enough to go straight onto a PHD? :smile:
Reply 3
okay thanks a lot,man i thought it was after a levels cause that would be an awesome idea haha
Original post by Amefish
You usually need to do a Bachelor's and Master's before a PHD.
Reply 4
okay thanks a lot,man i thought it was after a levels cause that would be an awesome idea haha

Wow! That would definitely be a bigger jump than the one from GCSE to A Level :tongue:
Reply 5
after a levels can i pursue an MD/PHD program or do I need to have done an undergraduate in something before that? help pls. thanks! :smile:

In this country, you'd start a MB, BS, BSc (or equivalent like MB, ChB, iBSc) and then be offered to continue to a PhD if the BSc goes well or if you really like research.

If you're being specific about an MD which is typically an American qualification, they do have something similar here offered at some of the older institutions which is analogous to the PhD only taken by MB, BS 5+ year-graduates but specific to medical research. Oh and it is taken in partnership with the US! Maybe you meant an MB?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
well I'm confused about doing medical research or medicine:frown:(i havent started year 13 btw) so when i bumped into the MD/PHD programs online i thought that it comes simultaneously once you decide to do medicine as undergraduate..oh well turns out it's more of a long cut then a short cut haha!
Original post by lulno
I am not sure if there is anything stopping a person going straight onto a PHD course other than convincing the admissions staff so theoretically if you somehow already had enough experience to not need an undergraduate degree and you could prove that to the admissions office for example years of relevant work experience then maybe they would allow it, but generally it is required for you to have a bachelors degree (3 years) and then a Masters degree (a further 1 year) in order to be considered for a PHD program.

Just wondering are you curious about the education system or do you think you are special enough to go straight onto a PHD? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Amefish
Wow! That would definitely be a bigger jump than the one from GCSE to A Level :tongue:

hahaha yes (i thought the MD program would somehow prepare me for the phd looool)
Reply 8
Original post by Bow Tie
In this country, you'd start a MB, BS, BSc (or equivalent like MB, ChB, iBSc) and then be offered to continue to a PhD if the BSc goes well or if you really like research.

If you're being specific about an MD which is typically an American qualification, they do have something similar here offered at some of the older institutions which is analogous to the PhD only taken by MB, BS 5+ year-graduates but specific to medical research. Oh and it is taken in partnership with the US! Maybe you meant an MB?

hmm i see,thanks you very much! Oh and i should have specified I meany specifically for medical research when i said phd
Reply 9
Oh and Imperial offer one of these programmes (MB, BS, PhD) which I know a little about but mainly that you can't apply until you've completed the BSc year in year 4. They have more information about these courses on their website here.

And the course is 8/9 years long :O
meant** oops typo
hmm i see,thanks you very much! Oh and i should have specified I meany specifically for medical research when i said phd
hahaha yes (i thought the MD program would somehow prepare me for the phd looool)

I can't really tell you much about the MD program but PHDs are very competitive to do :smile:
Reply 12

You don't need a PhD to be a medical doctor. Very few medics have a PhD.
omg! That's 12 years minimum no thanks hahaha
Original post by Bow Tie
Oh and Imperial offer one of these programmes (MB, BS, PhD) which I know a little about but mainly that you can't apply until you've completed the BSc year in year 4. They have more information about these courses on their website here.

And the course is 8/9 years long :O
omg! That's 12 years minimum no thanks hahaha

Unfortunately if you want to to a MB, BS, PhD; you're looking at a minimum of 8 or 9 years in university. I took a gap year and even without doing a PhD (although I'm forced to do a BSc year), I won't be out until I'm 25!
Original post by Amefish
I can't really tell you much about the MD program but PHDs are very competitive to do :smile:

yep i bet they are,i guess i have to make up my mind on whether i want to be a medical doctor or a medical scientist.( or neither because I'm a confused person)
Original post by Bow Tie
Unfortunately if you want to to a MB, BS, PhD; you're looking at a minimum of 8 or 9 years in university. I took a gap year and even without doing a PhD (although I'm forced to do a BSc year), I won't be out until I'm 25!

25!! That's not a problem at all tbh,,,you'll be done with all that by 25?! thats great!(and fast)
:smile:
yep i bet they are,i guess i have to make up my mind on whether i want to be a medical doctor or a medical scientist.( or neither because I'm a confused person)

Well you can't get onto a PhD course until you're mid-way through a MB, BS anyway so why not just start it and find out later!

25!! That's not a problem at all tbh,,,you'll be done with all that by 25?! thats great!(and fast)
:smile:

Not all too fast when I won't be earning a penny whilst my mates are going to be all 2 years working! But I see the reason why and I'm happy I get a good level of training :smile:
There's no way you'd get onto a PhD without Bachelors and Masters degrees first, I know of one person who did a PhD after their undergrad but that's quite rare
yeah that's a good idea but I'm not sure which would be the best undergraduate course to take for medical research because you can also do that with biomedical engineering instead of MEDICINE...but i guess medicine would be better because in case i change my mind i won't be stuck. thanks you very much for the help.
Original post by Bow Tie
Well you can't get onto a PhD course until you're mid-way through a MB, BS anyway so why not just start it and find out later!

Latest

Trending

Trending