The Student Room Group

Teenage Indian muslim murdered for dating Arab muslim.

Scroll to see replies

From what I understand it's the religion of Islam AND certain cultures that are the problem. Combine the two and they can be deadly. Literally. But if Muslims don't believe their religion is a problem, and Indians don't believe their culture is a problem then carry on. People are going to continue to die.
This is what the left want, they want this to be the norm.
Original post by Angry Bird
beyond ****ed up

are you illiterate? they were both muslims

Calm down mate, if you had read the thread you'd see where I had said that I stood corrected. Although I do believe Islam is not completely innocent in these kinds of crimes as it reinforces oppressive attitudes towards women.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by markova21
From what I understand it's the religion of Islam AND certain cultures that are the problem. Combine the two and they can be deadly. Literally. But if Muslims don't believe their religion is a problem, and Indians don't believe their culture is a problem then carry on. People are going to continue to die.

Killing people is not part of my culture. These so called "honour" killings are done by individuals who are more concerned about their reputation in society and are more afraid of what others would say than killing their children.
Reply 64
Original post by SGHD26716
Being an Indian myself, you are expected to marry someone from the same cultural background. India has diverse culture so this actually means I will have to marry someone from the same state as me. It's not good enough to just marry an Indian. I'm from the Punjab state and so will be expected to marry someone from Punjab.

That said, I absolutely do not condone honour killings either.

Yeah I know. Would your parents disown you if you dated out?
Erm, Jesus didn't "make" Heaven and earth and everything else. God did.

In Christianity they are one and the same.Jesus is God.
Reply 66
Original post by loveleest
Yeah I know. Would your parrnts disown you if you dated out?

I don't date. Furthermore, I'm a Sikh so I'm expected to marry a Sikh.
Killing people is not part of my culture. These so called "honour" killings are done by individuals who are more concerned about their reputation in society and are more afraid of what others would say than killing their children.

While it may not be apart of your culture, it certainly is apart of a lot of Asian and Middle-Eastern countries. Even in the UK it is estimated that there are around 3,000 incidents of violent honor-related crime each year and is on the rise (http://ikwro.org.uk/2011/12/03/nearly-3000-cases-of-honour-violence-every-year-in-the-uk/).
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I can't fully answer your question e.g. the part about God but this should help.

The Bible is made up of the Old and New Testament. The Old Testament contains Jewish Law which pre-exists Jesus. The New Testament contains Jesus' teachings etc. Christians generally believe by believing in Jesus Christ you don't need to follow the Old Law. It's complicated as there's a range of teachings supporting and contradicting this. Romans 10:4 is one bible verse supporting this. Also, Jesus had teachings which overcame Jewish laws and cultural beliefs e.g. Turn the other cheek instead of an eye for an eye, he stopped an adulterer being stoned which would have been right according to the Old Testament. In my opinion, this is a major reformation which separates Christianity from Judaism and is generally more in line with today's thinking. Jesus also taught the greatest commandment to follow is "Love thy neighbour as yourself ...".

I'm talking about the modern version of the Bible which has been altered so many times. Why would people follow a religion that keeps changing its rules/laws to fit in with today's society?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
In Islam, you're not supposed to have a boyfriend/girlfriend. So that may have been a factor.

Don't be stupid. Islam DOES NOT allow you to kill someone for having a bf/gf -_-
Original post by Cubone-r
"Religion of Peace" as long as you marry the right person...

This is absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes: If anything, it's more of a cultural issue. Many Indian Hindus wouldn't be allowed to marry non Indian Hindus; many Indian Sikhs wouldn't be allowed to marry other races etc

You shouldn't have opinions on issues you know nothing about.

Back to the topic, this is absolutely disgusting. I say this as an Indian: South Asians and Middle Easterners in particular have these ridiculous "rules" on the kind of person their son/daughter should marry, and they need to stop being so backwards.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Cubone-r
While it may not be apart of your culture, it certainly is apart of a lot of Asian and Middle-Eastern countries. Even in the UK it is estimated that there are around 3,000 incidents of violent honor-related crime each year and is on the rise (http://ikwro.org.uk/2011/12/03/nearly-3000-cases-of-honour-violence-every-year-in-the-uk/).

It's sad and it's carried out by people with a backwards mentality.

I'm just defending my personal position so people don't assume all of us are like this.
Original post by satisfactionatlast
I'm talking about the modern version of the Bible which has been altered so many times. Why would people follow a religion that keeps changing its rules/laws to fit in with today's society?

The meaning hasn't changed. Just the wording. KJV (one version of the Bible) uses Old English words such as "thou, thy etc". Check this link out:
http://biblehub.com/romans/10-4.htm
It's one bible verse from different versions of the Bible.
Original post by LadyLoony
This is absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes: If anything, it's more of a cultural issue. Many Indian Hindus wouldn't be allowed to marry non Indian Hindus; many Indian Sikhs wouldn't be allowed to marry other races etc

You shouldn't have opinions on issues you know nothing about.

That is true, but I do believe the ideology of Islam that treats women oppressively, is not completely innocent in this specific case where Muslims were involved.

Unfortunately, I can have an opinion on anything whether I know about it or not. That's the kind of free society we live in here in the UK, sorry.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jesus Only God
Don't you dare try and stain the name of Christianity when you follow the false, infidel religion of Islam. Us Christians don't believe the Bible is the complete word of God and most of it was written by men so we're not constrained to believe it's perfect for all times. Such a viewpoint is very stupid indeed and makes Islam laughable. We change and so do our values, fact. A successful religion is one that can keep up with that and adapt, not one forever stuck in the past.

Jesus' message is universal and timeless: "love one another, love your enemies and have faith in me", that's it. Believing in Jesus' divinity is all you need to do to be a Christian, none of the tedious and pointless rituals required in your incorrect ideology.

All glory and praise belongs to our Lord Jesus Christ, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible! Hosanna in the highest heavens to the king of the universe, Jesus!

Lmao.

But why don't we see this happening across the world in other societies as well then? A lot of people like to make themselves try and appear successful to outsiders. Have you seen the TV show, Keeping Up Appearances? Yes, it's a comedy and completely over the top, but the sentiment is there. In the 1930's and '40's in poor, working class neighbourhoods in the north of England, women used to spend a good hour every single day on their hands and knees scrubbing their front door step so it was immaculate. If you didn't scrub your step for a few days the whole street would notice you had not been out of your house scrubbing it and the neighbourhood would gossip about you and you would be given a bad reputation. Nobody wanted to be talked badly about, so it was something that every woman of the house did. Thankfully, people no longer give a s hit what their neighbours think, and are able to do what they please. Many people around the world like to give the impression they are something respectable, or important, or successful. But they sure as hell don't murder their own bloody children they are so desperate to keep this image up.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by satisfactionatlast
Don't be stupid. Islam DOES NOT allow you to kill someone for having a bf/gf -_-

I didn't say it did. Read my other comments.
He said how blessed they were to hear his message, but that the ones who would come after him would be even more so, if they haven't seen and heard from Jesus' own mouth or indirectly through his disciples, and yet still believe.

That's exactly what Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said. :smile:
It's sad and it's carried out by people with a backwards mentality.

I'm just defending my personal position so people don't assume all of us are like this.

Yes, no one for one second is suggesting that all Muslims or all Sikhs or all Hindus are going to go out and commit honour-killings. However, the issue is real and does need to be discussed so we can put in place preventative policy. However, what tends to happen is that people from these cultures tend to take offense and imply it is an attack on themselves personally so we have to "tip-toe" around the issue and nothing ever gets done - then the cycle repeats.
(edited 6 years ago)

Don't be absurd. This has nothing to do with Islam. Nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending