The Student Room Group

Curry spice helped woman, 67, beat blood cancer.

Dineke Ferguson, 67, who had been battling blood cancer for five years has stated that she has seen an extraordanry recovery by taking a natural treatment based on a kicthen staple. After undergoing three rounds of chemotheraphy and stem cell transplants she turnted to curcumin, which is an indredient of the spice turmeric. Her recovery has been so incredible it has been featured in the British Mudical Journal.

Although curcumin features in kitchen turmeric, it only makes up around 2%, so Dieneke takes the ingredient in tablet form so she can get 8g a day. She took the tablet for five years and now her cell count is negligible.

Yay for Dineke!

You can read more on the story here.

What do you make of this? Do you think more funding should be given to investigate the effects of curcumin? Should alternative treatments be explored?
broscience
Reply 2
I love these "Plant remedy cured me of cancer, but only after also undergoing courses of chemo- and radiotherapy and surgery!" claims.

I have one of my own. "Binge drinking in the run up to my finals enabled me to get a 2:1. (Yeah, don't ask about the previous three years of lectures and hard work. Not relevant)"

*SMH*
Original post by QE2
I love these "Plant remedy cured me of cancer, but only after also undergoing courses of chemo- and radiotherapy and surgery!" claims.

I have one of my own. "Binge drinking in the run up to my finals enabled me to get a 2:1. (Yeah, don't ask about the previous three years of lectures and hard work. Not relevant)"

*SMH*

I prefer the 'Shocking cure for cancer! - Doctors hats this guy' adverts
I believe curcumin has been touted as a potential treatment for a while, I don't know if anyone is still actively investigating it though...

Ed: Last paper I can find having made a VERY brief search was 2013 and that's a lit review
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Turmeric man. I thought that turmeric being a natural remedy was common knowledge anyway
I automatically read that as "woman, 6'7". Ive been on this site too long.
Original post by SGHD26716
Turmeric man. I thought that turmeric being a natural remedy was common knowledge anyway

It may be common knowledge for us, but it'll take the rest of the world 2,000,000 years to realise this.. once something has been researched and documented by prestigious research companies or universities, internet goes mad and things go viral like the coconut oil 'trend' which I've known for god knows how long
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
"‘Dieneke’s is the best response I have observed and it is clear-cut because we had stopped all other treatment. I have not seen such a convincing response before’" (Professor Jamie Cavenagh, UK Myeloma Forum Chariman)
"It is clear cut because we had stopped all other treatment". So Jamie is sure that the earlier rounds of chemo and stem-cell treatment had no influence on the later recovery, and that it could not have been spontaneous remission. I look forward to reading about how he arrived at that conclusion! Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. How many other patients were involved in this trial?
Reply 9
Original post by Lovinlife2
It may be common knowledge for us, but it'll take the rest of the world 2,000,000 years to realise this.. once something has been researched and documented by prestigious research companies or universities, internet goes mad and things go viral like the coconut oil 'trend' which I've known for god knows how long
Yes, it is fairly well known that turmeric appears to have some effect against certain conditions under certain circumstances, but that is very different to claiming that "It cured my cancer when conventional methods could not".

Coconut oil is not as healthy as all the Facebook posts make out - it contains considerably more saturated fat than butter, beef dripping or lard. If you use coconut oil in your diet you should replace it with genuinely healthy oils like sunflower, olive or peanut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending