The Student Room Group

Law

Durham or LSE
Original post by Maggiemay1
Durham or LSE

Do you want to live in London or in Durham? They're incredibly different cities.
LSE is obviously the better one for law and likely better for networking. Durham is still a fantastic university and think you would do just as well there
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Do you want to live in London or in Durham? They're incredibly different cities.

Sure ! My heart says LSE but my purse says Durham 😑
Original post by -MizzSnazzter-
LSE is ... likely better for networking.

I've never understood what students thought would be a 'networking' advantage of studying in London? Is it that they think they'll be commuting on the tube one day, get into conversation with a stranger, and suddenly a legal job offer will be theirs? Because I'm afraid that just isn't how these things work. (Quite besides the low likelihood of anybody talking to a stranger on the tube in London.)

If it's the thought that law firms might visit their university, then I would say that law firms will always visit a quality university like Durham. Besides, the desire to meet with law firms is only likely to strike a student a few times in a 3 year degree course. Why would one make that a pivotal decision making criteria?

OP - choose the university where you would prefer to live for the next three years. Your choice will make zero difference to your job prospects.
Original post by Crumpet1
I've never understood what students thought would be a 'networking' advantage of studying in London? Is it that they think they'll be commuting on the tube one day, get into conversation with a stranger, and suddenly a legal job offer will be theirs? Because I'm afraid that just isn't how these things work. (Quite besides the low likelihood of anybody talking to a stranger on the tube in London.)

If it's the thought that law firms might visit their university, then I would say that law firms will always visit a quality university like Durham. Besides, the desire to meet with law firms is only likely to strike a student a few times in a 3 year degree course. Why would one make that a pivotal decision making criteria?

OP - choose the university where you would prefer to live for the next three years. Your choice will make zero difference to your job prospects.

When I say networking I mean that being based in London you are able to attend lots of law firm events and networking / application events they run.
Original post by Crumpet1

Any social events which do take place, such as those run by Aspiring Solicitors or ELSA, occur in London. Whether there is any advantage to knowing other applicants or the other lawyers is another question, but there is a reason that networking is often mentioned by many. And why LinkedIn exists.
Original post by Maggiemay1
Sure ! My heart says LSE but my purse says Durham 😑

Purely based on that statement alone, I advise following your heart. Take into account the more practical considerations and implications of the decision too (within reason).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending