The Student Room Group

Scared to see my dad for the first time in 10 years.

My dad left my mum when I was young and I haven't seen him since. He's coming up to the area I live for a big event and I'm nervous.

I have talked to him on Whatsapp but still have lots of anger towards him and not ready to see him in person.

My parents are NOT the type to talk about family issues/personal things and I don't know what to do to make meeting him easier for myself.
Original post by Anonymous
My dad left my mum when I was young and I haven't seen him since. He's coming up to the area I live for a big event and I'm nervous.

I have talked to him on Whatsapp but still have lots of anger towards him and not ready to see him in person.

My parents are NOT the type to talk about family issues/personal things and I don't know what to do to make meeting him easier for myself.

If you really arent ready to meet him in person, I dont think you should. If he truly wants to be part of your life again he will not mind.

However, as youve said its a big event, is it something you both have/need to go to?

If you're not ready, don't see him. My family is quite similar in terms of this except that it's my mother who I haven't seen or heard from in years. Also, my parents feel the need to tell me all the soridid details and this has traumatised me for life so consider yourself lucky in that respect.

Is he actually coming up to see you?
Reply 3
Original post by Jack22031994
If you really arent ready to meet him in person, I dont think you should. If he truly wants to be part of your life again he will not mind.

However, as youve said its a big event, is it something you both have/need to go to?

Unfortunately.
So errr whys he been out of your life for 10 years?
Unfortunately.

and theres no way you can get out of it?

This seems like a tricky situation and I dont really know what to suggest apart from if you can (as its big?) try to avoid him and tell him why :dontknow:

Sorry for being useless! :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Moonstruck16
If you're not ready, don't see him. My family is quite similar in terms of this except that it's my mother who I haven't seen or heard from in years. Also, my parents feel the need to tell me all the soridid details and this has traumatised me for life so consider yourself lucky in that respect.

Is he actually coming up to see you?

Not directly me but it is inevitable I will see him- tiny town. :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Jack22031994
and theres no way you can get out of it?

This seems like a tricky situation and I dont really know what to suggest apart from if you can (as its big?) try to avoid him and tell him why :dontknow:

Sorry for being useless! :frown:

No way I can get out of it, No problem :smile: - My post is a bit vague - I have older sibling so on TSR who have a good relationship with my dad soooooo...
Reply 8
No way I can get out of it, No problem :smile: - My post is a bit vague - I have older sibling so on TSR who have a good relationship with my dad soooooo...

*siblings.

Okay no worries! Thats good at least I guess if your sibling has a good relationship with him. Could use it as a bridge etc ..
Original post by Betelgeuse-
So errr whys he been out of your life for 10 years?

Deadbeat.
OP I really don't mean to upset or offend you but have you heard about Genetic Sexual Attraction theory?

Close blood relatives that meet after a long time, as adults sometimes develop sexual feelings for each other.. it's happened to many people.

I really hope this doesn't come across as inappropriate, I just thought you should be aware of it.
Deadbeat.

Screw him then. Why would u want to have a relationship with him?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending