The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate tips? 2017/18

I'm starting the IB diploma in September 2017 and I'm nervous (although a bit excited loool) about the workload.

The school I'm hoping to go to is one of the best in the country (approximately 37 points average for the 2017 results) so I know I'll be in good hands.

However, as said before I am slightly nervous about the workload and many existing sixth formers have just told me to work hard from September - is this true? Do I need to work my hardest? I'm worried I'll overwork myself which would be unnecessary and would burn me out too early!

Also, people who have done the IB or are currently doing it, when during the course did you have the heaviest amount of workload?

The subjects I hope to study are:
HL - Global Politics, Economics, English Literature
SL - French Ab, Maths Standard, Sports Science

I'm not 100% sure with what I would like to study at university but I aspire to go a Russel Group uni and do a course such as International Relations/Politics maybe with Economics, PPE etc. Are my subjects suitable for this?

If there are any other general tips you have for doing well in the IB, feel free to mention!

Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey there- I just sat my exams during the May 2017 sessions and got a decently high score, so I can tell you a little bit about the IB. Working hard is pretty relative in the IB. I worked hard from the fall of my junior year until the very end, but the amount of work you do will increase and therefore so does your work ethic. You need to have a strong junior year (year 12?) so that you have high predictions which will help you get into your chosen unis. While I worked very hard junior year, inevitably senior year you will work harder as you have mocks and deadlines of IAs and EEs. To prevent yourself from burning out senior year, you need to work hard your junior year to begin your IAs and EE (and perhaps finish during the summer. Your subjects look good for what you want to study, so don't worry about that. Just make sure to keep up with your work throughout the whole two years!
Original post by quinnthequail
Hey there- I just sat my exams during the May 2017 sessions and got a decently high score, so I can tell you a little bit about the IB. Working hard is pretty relative in the IB. I worked hard from the fall of my junior year until the very end, but the amount of work you do will increase and therefore so does your work ethic. You need to have a strong junior year (year 12?) so that you have high predictions which will help you get into your chosen unis. While I worked very hard junior year, inevitably senior year you will work harder as you have mocks and deadlines of IAs and EEs. To prevent yourself from burning out senior year, you need to work hard your junior year to begin your IAs and EE (and perhaps finish during the summer. Your subjects look good for what you want to study, so don't worry about that. Just make sure to keep up with your work throughout the whole two years!

Alright, thank you very much! If you don't mind me asking, what score did you end up getting?
Original post by brightfuturee
Alright, thank you very much! If you don't mind me asking, what score did you end up getting?

I don't mind - I got a 42/45
I don't mind - I got a 42/45

Wow thats amazing, well done!

Also, did you finish all your CAS in your junior year? I've heard its good to try and do that
Wow thats amazing, well done!

Also, did you finish all your CAS in your junior year? I've heard its good to try and do that

Thank you!! :biggrin: I did do that as well. I was lucky as I participated in a wide range of clubs so I was able to hit action, creativity, and service pretty early one. I was also starting up a club that year which knocked out one of the requirements for a 3-month (?) long project. I would def advice you to aim to finish your CAS junior year. Reflections are tedious, but can be done so quickly.
Thank you!! :biggrin: I did do that as well. I was lucky as I participated in a wide range of clubs so I was able to hit action, creativity, and service pretty early one. I was also starting up a club that year which knocked out one of the requirements for a 3-month (?) long project. I would def advice you to aim to finish your CAS junior year. Reflections are tedious, but can be done so quickly.

Also, are 6s and 7s really hard to get?
Also, are 6s and 7s really hard to get?

Yes they are very difficult to get - 7s obviously more so than 6s. I know friends who got 6s and 7s consistently in junior and senior year get 5s on the exam. Don't think it will be so easy getting a 6 and 7 and be aware that IB exams are most likely harder than your average coursework. But if you work and study hard, you can def get 6s and 7s!
Yes they are very difficult to get - 7s obviously more so than 6s. I know friends who got 6s and 7s consistently in junior and senior year get 5s on the exam. Don't think it will be so easy getting a 6 and 7 and be aware that IB exams are most likely harder than your average coursework. But if you work and study hard, you can def get 6s and 7s!

Ooh alright, I thought so :biggrin:
What subjects did you do?
Ooh alright, I thought so :biggrin:
What subjects did you do?

I did History HL, Bio HL, English Lit and Lang HL, French A SL, Physics SL, Math SL
Hi! I did the IB and I'm now in my second year studying International Development. The IB workload is quite intense but then I was only comparing it to what my friends etc were doing.

I would 100% recommend working as hard as you can from the get go. I lazily scraped through the first year knowing my exams were ages away and just had to relearn all of that stuff when it came to revision - my grades suffered as a result. My school had only just introduced the IB so you should be confident about the school you're going to, they sound like they know what they're doing. I definitely would have benefited from working hard consistently and being better organised by the teachers. The workload was most intense in the middle of the second year when all of my coursework was due in.

Your choices sound perfect for those courses. From my experience, the IB really helped with the all-round interdisciplinary knowledge you get from studying 6 subjects. Most unis regard the IB highly and to do a course like those mentioned they should value your range of subjects. I hope this helps!
Original post by kimcourtney96
Hi! I did the IB and I'm now in my second year studying International Development. The IB workload is quite intense but then I was only comparing it to what my friends etc were doing.

I would 100% recommend working as hard as you can from the get go. I lazily scraped through the first year knowing my exams were ages away and just had to relearn all of that stuff when it came to revision - my grades suffered as a result. My school had only just introduced the IB so you should be confident about the school you're going to, they sound like they know what they're doing. I definitely would have benefited from working hard consistently and being better organised by the teachers. The workload was most intense in the middle of the second year when all of my coursework was due in.

Your choices sound perfect for those courses. From my experience, the IB really helped with the all-round interdisciplinary knowledge you get from studying 6 subjects. Most unis regard the IB highly and to do a course like those mentioned they should value your range of subjects. I hope this helps!

Alright, thanks so much for this - I'll keep these things in mind when I start!
Hi,
So like I'm also starting the IB this September 2017.

I'm really excited and nervous at the same time because I know it will be a challenge.

I'll be doing:
HL - Biology, Chemistry, Spanish, Geography.

SL- Maths, English.

I have 4 higher levels because I wasn't sure whether I should do my language at standard or not. I didn't feel like standard level would challenge me enough.

Am I overloading myself?

Can anyone who's done a language higher level tell me what it was like?

Thank you very much. :smile::smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by africandiva
Hi,
So like I'm also starting the IB this September 2017.

I'm really excited and nervous at the same time because I know it will be a challenge.

I'll be doing:
HL - Biology, Chemistry, Spanish, Geography.

SL- Maths, English.

I have 4 higher levels because I wasn't sure whether I should do my language at standard or not. I didn't feel like standard level would challenge me enough.

Am I overloading myself?

Can anyone who's done a language higher level tell me what it was like?

Thank you very much. :smile::smile:

Are you doing Spanish A or ab?
Are you doing Spanish A or ab?

Spanish B as a second language
I'm starting the IB diploma in September 2017 and I'm nervous (although a bit excited loool) about the workload.

The school I'm hoping to go to is one of the best in the country (approximately 37 points average for the 2017 results) so I know I'll be in good hands.

However, as said before I am slightly nervous about the workload and many existing sixth formers have just told me to work hard from September - is this true? Do I need to work my hardest? I'm worried I'll overwork myself which would be unnecessary and would burn me out too early!

Also, people who have done the IB or are currently doing it, when during the course did you have the heaviest amount of workload?

The subjects I hope to study are:
HL - Global Politics, Economics, English Literature
SL - French Ab, Maths Standard, Sports Science

I'm not 100% sure with what I would like to study at university but I aspire to go a Russel Group uni and do a course such as International Relations/Politics maybe with Economics, PPE etc. Are my subjects suitable for this?

If there are any other general tips you have for doing well in the IB, feel free to mention!

Thank you

Hey pal,

I assume you've now started the IB but thought I may as well throw in an extra opinion! Im in my second year of the IB now, aiming for about 38-40 points.

As much as there's a lot of talk about it being huge on the workload and being really really busy and having no social life, it's honestly not that bad! Sure there is plenty of work and you do need to put in the effort- but that's no different to any other qualification at this level! If you did A Levels or anything else it would be just the same so don't worry about that! It's so worth it in the end and you'll find that lots of unis love it (whilst there are a few random ones which arent as keen) and you'll have so much to talk about in your personal statement!

With regards to your subjects, they seem like great choices for your interests at uni, i know a lot of people doing the same thing. However, if you're looking at going down the economics route then it is strongly advised that you do either HL Maths or A Level maths in addition to your other subjects. There arent many universities which are fairly high up which will easily take on students with only SL maths. There are a couple but it's very frustrating if you want to apply but simply cant because you dont have the maths.

Anyways the rest is fab! Wish you all the best of luck!
Reply 16
Im at a bit of a crossroads....im in year 11 looking to do the IB but my chosen school has offered me a place now! Should i take it and get accustomed to the IB life or should i stay at my school and do GCSES and then do the IB?
Reply 17
Im at a bit of a crossroads....im in year 11 looking to do the IB but my chosen school has offered me a place now! Should i take it and get accustomed to the IB life or should i stay at my school and do GCSES and then do the IB?
I made a video about IB Tips (and how I somehow got 44), which can be v useful when picking your subjects, revising or choosing whether or not to do the IB x Hope it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdW8w4YFOVM&t=659s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending