The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries come out on results day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rnineirnee
IT MEANS THAT the grade boundaries are high af and AQA can't be asked to deal with the tweets and etc the day before so they release it when EVERYONE is too busy collecting results.

these guys are smart smh

lol they haven't even set them yet
seems like every year they have to make everything progressively more obstructive and harder
what was the harm in releasing them before results day? helped settle people's nerves a bit, did for me anyway in 2015 for the maths exam
Original post by RussianQuestion
Unfortunately, this might not be the case:

"You can't use this tool for the reformed, linear qualifications. In 2017, you can convert your marks to a UMS mark for the following qualifications:

all GCSEs except English Language, English Literature and Maths

AS specifications

A-level specifications

AQA Certificates except AQA Certificate Level 2 Further Mathematics."

Refer to this: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums

Yeah so that doesn't include AS levels which no longer have ums.

Can't you look at the UMS score?

Not all qualifications have ums so that's not entirely helpful.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Yeah so that doesn't include AS levels which no longer have ums.

Not all qualifications have ums so that's not entirely helpful.

Oh ok I wasn't aware of that.
Original post by _gcx
lol they haven't even set them yet

@rnineirnee

They may well have been set. Look at this link:
https://twitter.com/AQA/status/885780909932150784

Also I doubt that the grade boundaries being high is the reason. This isn't just aqa it is also ocr and edexcel that are doing this. Maybe other exam boards but I haven't looked around. Surely you can't be assuming that for every single exam in all qualifications for all three of these exam boards the grade boundaries are a lot higher than usual. It could be to avoid complaints but I don't see this is an indicator of what the grade boundaries are going to look like.
Oh ok I wasn't aware of that.

What qualifications are you doing?
Read these tweets from aqa: https://twitter.com/AQA/status/889793284704436224

GCSE and A level grade boundaries have always come out the day before results day, generally at midnight.
For some reason this year they come out on the day, potentially at the same time as people are picking up their results so people won't actually be able to see the grade boundaries before obtaining their results.
Am I the only one that's really irritated about this?

Why should it matter its not like your results will change
Original post by ninjass
Why should it matter its not like your results will change

Arguably it could because if you know the grade boundaries then you can come in knowing as soon as you see your results if getting a remark is worth while.
Arguably it could because if you know the grade boundaries then you can come in knowing as soon as you see your results if getting a remark is worth while.

Surely UMS can help with that?
What qualifications are you doing?

GCSE's I'm guessing that you're doing A levels?
GCSE's I'm guessing that you're doing A levels?

ah so you can still do that for all subjects but maths and English.
I'm doing AS levels.
Original post by ninjass

Not all qualifications have the UMS system.
Original post by ninjass

If you are 1 ums off then yes but if you are 3-5 ums off of a grade then not necessarily. 1 raw mark could translate to 1 ums or even 5 ums. Knowing what the ums boundaries look like are very useful for knowing if a remark is useful.
Also, for reformed subjects (most A levels, AS levels and GCSE maths and English) there are no ums so a raw mark grade boundary would be necessary for these things.
ah so you can still do that for all subjects but maths and English.
I'm doing AS levels.

Yes I just really want to know the grade boundaries for Maths, which is why I am stressing so much.

Your exams officer will have access the day before (along with your grades and raw marks iirr) and you have access at the same time as you get your results.

It's hardly going to take hours to work out how far you are from a grade boundary.
Original post by PQ
Your exams officer will have access the day before (along with your grades and raw marks iirr) and you have access at the same time as you get your results.

It's hardly going to take hours to work out how far you are from a grade boundary.

Sure but could you at least agree that it would be more convenient if they came out the day before?
Sure but could you at least agree that it would be more convenient if they came out the day before?

Not really. All we get on tsr that day are people panicking because they don't know how to interpret the boundaries without their results or getting over confident/paranoid because the boundaries are higher/lower than they hoped.

It might reassure a tiny minority of candidates but I personally don't think that is worth the additional stress and worry it causes the majority.
Original post by PQ

It might reassure a tiny minority of candidates but I personally don't think that is worth the additional stress and worry it causes the majority.

that's actually a fair point tbh
I'm concerned it has something to do with the other boards (ie. OCR) making terrible mistakes on the papers that will affect all boards marking processes, resulting in a few more students being disgruntled with grades than usual. I hope not, but this may be a way to prevent many students realising if they've been stitched up...
Reply 59
Original post by That'sGreat
I'm concerned it has something to do with the other boards (ie. OCR) making terrible mistakes on the papers that will affect all boards marking processes, resulting in a few more students being disgruntled with grades than usual. I hope not, but this may be a way to prevent many students realising if they've been stitched up...

Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest