The Student Room Group

Urgently need work experience!! ANY TIPS??

I am a sixth form student, and have just finished my AS in Chemistry, Biology and Maths.
I urgently need work experience in order to support my application for medicine and would appreciate if I could get any tips.
P.S is it a good idea to ask a doctor at the local GP surgery to help me once I've finished my appointment with him/her. Also, how could i convince them considering GP surgeries don't really like taking students on.

Thanks!
Original post by zash
I am a sixth form student, and have just finished my AS in Chemistry, Biology and Maths.
I urgently need work experience in order to support my application for medicine and would appreciate if I could get any tips.
P.S is it a good idea to ask a doctor at the local GP surgery to help me once I've finished my appointment with him/her. Also, how could i convince them considering GP surgeries don't really like taking students on.

Thanks!

Ive just got one at some GP surgery next to me
make sure that it isn't your own GP surgery that you're asking as they won't let you due to confidential reasons and email hospitals go to care homes ect.

good luck x
Reply 2
@lmaooome Thanks 4 ur reply and yepp will keep that in mind :smile:
Original post by zash

Thanks!

Hospital work experience takes months to arrange, there are usually deadlines and a formal application process which involves getting DBS checked and occupational health screening. Your best bet would be to email or call consultant's secretaries, but hospitals are notoriously slow so you'll need to chase them otherwise you'll get forgotten. This is not the sort of thing you can arrange overnight.

If you have an appointment anyway, you can try asking at the end of it, but don't be surprised if your GP doesn't have a clue about how these things are arranged and refers you to the practice manager. It's unlikely that you'd be offered work experience at the same practice where you're registered as a patient due to confidentiality reasons anyway.

You've left it really late basically. Have you done any volunteering?
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Hospital work experience takes months to arrange, there are usually deadlines and a formal application process which involves getting DBS checked and occupational health screening. Your best bet would be to email or call consultant's secretaries, but hospitals are notoriously slow so you'll need to chase them otherwise you'll get forgotten. This is not the sort of thing you can arrange overnight.

If you have an appointment anyway, you can try asking at the end of it, but don't be surprised if your GP doesn't have a clue about how these things are arranged and refers you to the practice manager. It's unlikely that you'd be offered work experience at the same practice where you're registered as a patient due to confidentiality reasons anyway.

You've left it really late basically. Have you done any volunteering?

Yep, at the local charity shop. Also, I've helped out in some school fundraising events, and worked as a volunteer teaching assistant. However, it's the medical experience I'm lacking.
Original post by zash
.............!

You need to prepare a CV and write a covering letter and then make a speculative application for work experience at the Surgery.
Original post by zash
Yep, at the local charity shop. Also, I've helped out in some school fundraising events, and worked as a volunteer teaching assistant. However, it's the medical experience I'm lacking.

Sorry I meant healthcare volunteering e.g. in a nursing home. Volunteering in a charity shop is good, but not really that relevant to being a doctor.

I think you should try your best to organise some hospital work experience and volunteer work in a caring role this summer, since these experiences are going to form the bulk of your personal statement and they will definitely ask you about them at interview. Realistically you can't apply to medical school without them, but they do take time to organise, so it might be that you end up completing them after the October UCAS deadline. If your application isn't ready by then, you can always take a gap year and apply once you've got everything sorted.
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
Sorry I meant healthcare volunteering e.g. in a nursing home. Volunteering in a charity shop is good, but not really that relevant to being a doctor.

I think you should try your best to organise some hospital work experience and volunteer work in a caring role this summer, since these experiences are going to form the bulk of your personal statement and they will definitely ask you about them at interview. Realistically you can't apply to medical school without them, but they do take time to organise, so it might be that you end up completing them after the October UCAS deadline. If your application isn't ready by then, you can always take a gap year and apply once you've got everything sorted.

I understand what you mean, and yep I'll be trying my best this summer to get as much medical work experience as I can, and as you said in a carehome(definitely) or hospital (fingers crossed, if i can).
Thanks for your help!
Original post by zash

Thanks!

I am currently working at a GP surgery and am about to go into sixth form, also wanting to do medicine. I approached them from the standpoint of being able to help from an administrative side. This helped, I believe, as it was also of benefit to them, not just shadowing, which often only helps the student and can be a hindrance to both the doctor and practice manager who has to do all the paperwork.

I also volunteer at a local care home. If you play an instrument you could offer to go in and play once a week, this can lead to you interacting with the residents and getting the "caring" experience.

If you can show commitment to something such as a sport and where you maybe taught it to younger kids, that would be beneficial.

Hope that has helped, but don't panic. Just calmly think through your options and find ways to present other experiences in a way that lets you understand medicine more (you can probably construe something as a positive experience for medicine from most things if you get the right stand point)
Reply 9
Original post by lula7464
I am currently working at a GP surgery and am about to go into sixth form, also wanting to do medicine. I approached them from the standpoint of being able to help from an administrative side. This helped, I believe, as it was also of benefit to them, not just shadowing, which often only helps the student and can be a hindrance to both the doctor and practice manager who has to do all the paperwork.

I also volunteer at a local care home. If you play an instrument you could offer to go in and play once a week, this can lead to you interacting with the residents and getting the "caring" experience.

If you can show commitment to something such as a sport and where you maybe taught it to younger kids, that would be beneficial.

Hope that has helped, but don't panic. Just calmly think through your options and find ways to present other experiences in a way that lets you understand medicine more (you can probably construe something as a positive experience for medicine from most things if you get the right stand point)

Great ideas!!! Thanksss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending