The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Parkwood accomodation at Kent

Just wanted people's opinions.
Go Parkwood superior. Cheap, but bigger and nicer than standard Parkwood.

I used to time myself as I walked to lectures (wow, that's sad and rather OCD), and it would take me 7 minutes to get from my door to Keynes college on the opposite side of campus. The walk itself is nice, through all the trees and billions of rabbits.

Plus, it's next to Woodys. Best bar on campus. The only downside is the lack of ATM on that side of campus.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Parkwood 6 beds are definitely one of the best in my opinion - saying that, I lived in one of them.

An extra shower & toilet and a bigger kitchen compared to the 5 beds.

The walk really isn't so bed, pretty much 10 mins max to anywhere on campus you wanna go.

Definitely the best value for money I think too!
Reply 3
Lived there in my first year from 2007 (seems ages now!) so will be biased in recommending it.

That said I really liked my accommodation, I lived in Ellenden Court which consists of 6 bedroom superior houses, two bathrooms a house.

The distance from Parkwood to Campus is really over hyped it will take you from 5-10 minutes to walk to Campus which really isn't long.

Woodys is a really nice pub/bar where you will spend most of your time (finish your day at 1pm and head straight to Woodys...oh the days).

The Uni have placed planning permission to put in an ATM in Parkwood

You have a cleaner who comes around once a week to clean the communal areas (kitchen, hall ways and bathrooms)
I presently live in the 5 bedroom houses in Park Wood. At first, I was disappointed to be assigned this accommodation, mainly because Tyler Court was my first choice. But, now, having lived there, I really, really enjoy it. The rooms are an adequate size and it's nice living in a house with neighbours and stuff. It has a community feel to it. The distance from Park Wood to campus isn't long at all and I get there in 5 minutes. Woody's is nice but I prefer the other bars on campus. It's a nice area to live in, really.
Reply 5
Mark_UKC
The Uni have placed planning permission to put in an ATM in Parkwood

This isn't true. Unfortunately it is nearly certain that there will never be a cash machine in Parkwood. The banks just won't agree to put one there, as there already so many cash machines in such a small area (in their eyes) so for them it doesn't seem worthwhile.
Reply 6
Aspect
This isn't true. Unfortunately it is nearly certain that there will never be a cash machine in Parkwood. The banks just won't agree to put one there, as there already so many cash machines in such a small area (in their eyes) so for them it doesn't seem worthwhile.

I swear there is a cash machine by essentials but it charges

Anyway I'm in parkwood flats at the moment and the only problem I have with both the flats and houses it the only communal space is the kitchens, which in the houses isn't that big.
GodspeedGehenna
Go Parkwood superior. Cheap, but bigger and nicer than standard Parkwood.

I used to time myself as I walked to lectures (wow, that's sad and rather OCD), and it would take me 7 minutes to get from my door to Keynes college on the opposite side of campus. The walk itself is nice, through all the trees and billions of rabbits.

Plus, it's next to Woodys. Best bar on campus. The only downside is the lack of ATM on that side of campus.

Yes, very OCD of you :p: But - you walk well fast! It used to take me at least 15 minutes :o:

Woodys is very good for when you're hanging - Fried breakfast :yy:
Woodys is the only thing I live for. :daydreaming:

Parkwood superior is the best. :colondollar:
Reply 9
Hi,

I am a fresh student and I hope to get the Parkwood accommodation. Do you know if we can receive visitors or if they can bed there(obviously in our room)?
Original post by miss.m
Hi,

I am a fresh student and I hope to get the Parkwood accommodation. Do you know if we can receive visitors or if they can bed there(obviously in our room)?

yep university rules say that they can stay for up to 3 days and you need to tell parkwood reception that they are staying with you for safety purposes. But no one really checks... if you do end up in parkwood be sure to join the facebook group for the court you are in and like parkwood student committee for all the latest information concerning welcome week for parkwood students!
Reply 11
Original post by APersonCalledClara
yep university rules say that they can stay for up to 3 days and you need to tell parkwood reception that they are staying with you for safety purposes. But no one really checks... if you do end up in parkwood be sure to join the facebook group for the court you are in and like parkwood student committee for all the latest information concerning welcome week for parkwood students!

thaanks ^^
what about PARKWOOD FLATS Twin en suite rooms?
Reply 13
Original post by Nis_nanz98
what about PARKWOOD FLATS Twin en suite rooms?

You've gravedug this from 2013, but it's relevant now anyway.

Parkwood flats are expensive and not as nice as the newer Turing/Keynes flats. So IMO I would go for those.

FYI to those who are looking forward to Woodys, it's closed down and is reopening as a Café :frown:
Original post by BBS_
You've gravedug this from 2013, but it's relevant now anyway.

Parkwood flats are expensive and not as nice as the newer Turing/Keynes flats. So IMO I would go for those.

FYI to those who are looking forward to Woodys, it's closed down and is reopening as a Café :frown:

Thanks for the info but I would like to know if you are you a Current student because if you have any idea which accommodation your friends found is closest to the Architecture sector of the main campus.
When I checked the website, it was the cheapest :/
Reply 15
Thanks for the info but I would like to know if you are you a Current student because if you have any idea which accommodation your friends found is closest to the Architecture sector of the main campus.
When I checked the website, it was the cheapest :/

Parkwood flats are the cheapest? Perhaps you were looking at the twin rooms where you share one room with another person? There are only a handful of those.

I am not a current student, but my friend is a student at Kent and he has told me Turing is the best accomodation, as its the newest. I've also looked around at many accomodations on the open day.

The closest thing on main campus would be Turing, Keynes, Rutherford and Becket. As they're all based on campus. Parkwood is the furthest from campus.
Parkwood has it's own community really, was there a good few times in my first year and it's a mad fun place. Always a party somewhere, that being said it's a little bit away from central campus (Like 5-10 min walk) but other than it's a great place. I would forever recommend halls (I stayed in Darwin, so super biased) but that's really up to the individual.

As long as you're not in Rutherford or Elliot you're set xo (No love for the mazes)
Original post by BBS_
Parkwood flats are the cheapest? Perhaps you were looking at the twin rooms where you share one room with another person? There are only a handful of those.

I am not a current student, but my friend is a student at Kent and he has told me Turing is the best accomodation, as its the newest. I've also looked around at many accomodations on the open day.

The closest thing on main campus would be Turing, Keynes, Rutherford and Becket. As they're all based on campus. Parkwood is the furthest from campus.

Thanks for the details! :smile: Yes that is right, I would like further information on how the standards are for the sharing rooms in Parkwood.I am an athlete as well, so I enjoy the ambience of sports, if I'm not mistaken, is around that area.
Original post by LividLion
Parkwood has it's own community really, was there a good few times in my first year and it's a mad fun place. Always a party somewhere, that being said it's a little bit away from central campus (Like 5-10 min walk) but other than it's a great place. I would forever recommend halls (I stayed in Darwin, so super biased) but that's really up to the individual.

As long as you're not in Rutherford or Elliot you're set xo (No love for the mazes)

Thanks for the information :smile: but I would like to know what you meant by 'halls' as in Houses or flats?
Thanks for the information :smile: but I would like to know what you meant by 'halls' as in Houses or flats?

Halls are places like Darwin, Turing, Keynes, Rutherford, Elliot, Tyler Court, etc. I believe Parkwood's flats are newly developed, so I can't really say much for them but the life in halls vs life in Parkwood houses are quite different, but again thats really up to the individual. Halls have a more intimate space, everyone is 1 min away from you, whereas with Parkwood, because everyone has their own houses and courts, it's usually (Not always by any means) where people stick to.

Either will be fun though so I wouldn't stress too much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending