The Student Room Group

Are muslims being bullied on this website?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farcical
ikr i even see a few of the main culprits in this thread

@ if you're gonna shade, sweaty :h:
Reply 21
Original post by Captain Jack
That's a nice post. Thank you for joining and posting it.

I hope it's not the case that muslims are being bullied as any kind of bullying is against the rules and more importantly, just generally unacceptable and unnecessary.

Lack of understanding about muslims and Islam is certainly a big problem in society in generally and we see that carry onto TSR. However, I am really proud of our large Muslim community on here and actually, how everyone gets on so well together most of the time no matter who they are. TSR is overall a great place for equality and good thoughtful discussion. It's never going to be perfect - and who'd want it to be - but it's a hugely positive place for people to talk openly about topics like this.

Anyway, thanks again for posting and please keep sharing your views like this - it sounds like we could use your balanced, well though our views in the debate forums.

Original post by Meany Pie
Precisely the reason I don't like Islam, the level of homophobia on this forum is pretty high and it seems to be mainly coming from certain people from a certain faith.

I will not let hate go unchallenged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Homophobia is not ok and I have been a victim of it myself. The thought of coming out in my family and local community terrifies me but that is a sad reality and I think muslims really need to be a bit more open minded and accepting of homosexuality.

Original post by sachinisgod
Na its most probably the other way round mate...

Really? Its the muslims who are bullying? How so?
Original post by _gcx
inb4 "but it's part of their livelihood so just leave them alone".

Is this so hard to get your head around people :colonhash:
Reply 23
I guess there is no reason to attack any religion/ideology all the time, for the same reason that there is poor cause behind muslims taking any criticism of Islam personally. I am a muslim myself and proud of my religion, i do love it, as i have been raised in a very moderate and tolerate society, and religion was not a barrier in my life at all and i have never been told to hate or disregard the others or whatever. Do you think it is fair to feel some discrimination from non-muslims?

It is normal however that you may find such very old religions full of old writings from mid-ages that are brutal; it is not the religion that is brutal, it is the medieval ages writings that are though. These societies were largely non-civic and produced as non-civic thought. Not only in Islam, i guess that is also true for Christianity, and a lot of wars and crimes were committed in the name of god in mid-ages, the same for some Judaism writings. We just need to understand this very wisely and to tolerate and accept each others, and more importantly to give up judgment, as we live in the 21st century and you will not find any wise man, whatever his faith, acting in outlandish manner

Muslims are very normal people like you, i swear!
Original post by butfirst_coffee
Is this so hard to get your head around people :colonhash:

You don't think Islam should be criticised just bc people hold their beliefs so dearly? Not even when something is clearly homophobic, misogynistic, or otherwise harmful and oppressive?
People try to pick faults at Islam solely because of their hate towards ISIS. They let a a group of nuisances who hijacked Islam for their own gains influence them. Most of the time they don't directly admit it because it's just downright stupid and they know they're going to look like idiots

There are other religions that are against homosexuality. The other Abrahamic faiths. But only Islam relieves all the hate and backlash. Would you guess why
Original post by orderofthelotus
You don't think Islam should be criticised just bc people hold their beliefs so dearly? Not even when something is clearly homophobic, misogynistic, or otherwise harmful and oppressive?

It's just pointless really. People are not going to change their beliefs because of criticism.
It's just pointless really. People are not going to change their beliefs because of criticism.

Ideologies and religions are not criticised to get believers not to believe in their ideas or faith anymore. Criticism is used to make society aware of the flaws in an idea, an argument, or a religion, for example. Criticism is a fundamental pillar of a free society and nothing should be above it (no matter how sacred or how dear it is to someone).
(edited 6 years ago)
IMG_5954.JPG

Its not criticism it is just a fact that people cannot 'cure' being gay, you don't choose to be gay, you are born gay nor can you find a legitimate reason that men>woman, their religion goes against both and they still claim that it is the 'perfect' religion. Lol, people don't try and argue senselessly they argue because they have valid points to make which cant be disputed.
Original post by I_R_FURRY!
Homophobia is not ok and I have been a victim of it myself. The thought of coming out in my family and local community terrifies me but that is a sad reality and I think muslims really need to be a bit more open minded and accepting of homosexuality.

It is seldom seen round here.

There are other religions that are against homosexuality. The other Abrahamic faiths. But only Islam relieves all the hate and backlash. Would you guess why

Because they still regularly kill people for it, the only countries where homosexuality is punishable by death are Islamic ones.
Hey!

I only just joined today but I browsed the forum for a while without an account and noticed a lot of threads hating on Islam and muslims and it seems like there is a general bullying vibe on this website against muslims because of the religion.

I just want to say as a muslim I know our religion has some immoral things in it and its not perfect like some muslims claim but I see a fair amount of hassle being directed towards muslims as people and being given an unnecessarily hard time.

I get how you feel about the religion trust me on that but I am a gay muslim and would hate to be bullied for being gay so I dont think people should bully muslims for being muslim.

Just leave them alone imagine if it was you and your faith / something you care a lot about, you would not like it.

Just be nice to each other xX

Totally can relate bbz. Tis a sorry state of affairs around here sadly :cry2:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 32
People try to pick faults at Islam solely because of their hate towards ISIS. They let a a group of nuisances who hijacked Islam for their own gains influence them. Most of the time they don't directly admit it because it's just downright stupid and they know they're going to look like idiots

I think this is part of it perhaps. Let me just say that muslims hate isis as much as you guys do and I totally understand why people want to criticise islam for some of its brutality but I think it could be considered bullying when people over criticise or generalise all muslims to be the same.

I don't proscribe to killing people or homosexuals or apostates and I support women's rights etc but I am a muslim and when people say things about muslims being violent or sexist or hateful I take offense to that because I am not this kind of person.

Directing insults about a faith to someone personal is a form of bullying I think. Imagine you believe in a faith and someone is in your face telling you how bad and horrible your faith is and going on and on about it everyday and directing insults towards you because you follow that religion. This sounds like bullying to me.

I support critisism of religion but directing that criticism towards a person is not ok.
Absolutely not.

Directing insults about a faith to someone personal is a form of bullying I think. Imagine you believe in a faith and someone is in your face telling you how bad and horrible your faith is and going on and on about it everyday and directing insults towards you because you follow that religion. This sounds like bullying to me.

I'm imagining it and I can't imagine being offended unless I were insecure about my faith.
I think this is part of it perhaps. Let me just say that muslims hate isis as much as you guys do and I totally understand why people want to criticise islam for some of its brutality but I think it could be considered bullying when people over criticise or generalise all muslims to be the same.

I don't proscribe to killing people or homosexuals or apostates and I support women's rights etc but I am a muslim and when people say things about muslims being violent or sexist or hateful I take offense to that because I am not this kind of person.

I support critisism of religion but directing that criticism towards a person is not ok.

This is TSR, not the Daily Mail. People have a proble with Islam and very few people are dumb in enough to stereotype all Muslims. The issue is a select group of people on this forum who literally spew hate, intolerance, and backwards beliefs. I won't mention any names but regulars here will know who I'm speaking of. It's very hard to not direct insults towards these people when they are insulting you, your life, and the culture of the country they are living in. There was one user who was actually all for trying out Sharia compounds in the UK because of how 'well' supposed Westerner compounds are working in Saudi Arabia.
Reply 36
Original post by Moonstruck16
Totally can relate bbz. Went over to ISOC yesterday and had 12 posts removed in the space of 10 minutes. I feel like I'm being bullied for expressing my opinion and I really don't like this. I feel like I should report this to someone but Lord knows I'll probably have that reported and removed too. Tis a sorry state of affairs around here sadly :cry2:

I did see some of the posts there and I was going to post but everyone was just arguing and attacking each other so I just stayed clear lol xX
This is TSR, not the Daily Mail. People have a proble with Islam and very few people are dumb in enough to stereotype all Muslims. The issue is a select group of people on this forum who literally spew hate, intolerance, and backwards beliefs. I won't mention any names but regulars here will know who I'm speaking of. It's very hard to not direct insults towards these people when they are insulting you, your life, and the culture of the country they are living in. There was one user who was actually all for trying out Sharia compounds in the UK because of how 'well' supposed Westerner compounds are working in Saudi Arabia.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply 38

Shariah has no place in our society and the thought of it terrifies me as I would be killed on the first day for being homosexual. There will be some muslims who support this backwards law system but there are many many more muslims who don't support it.

That's all well and good that you don't support killing gay people, apostates and support women's rights. However, if you look at some of the British Muslim attitude surveys that have been conducted you will find some harrowing results of those surveyed (https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7861/british-muslims-survey)

Here are just some:

Only 34% of Muslims (1 in 3) would contact the police if they suspected someone they knew had become involved with Jihadists.

23% believe that Sharia Law should replace British law in areas with large Muslim populations.

52% said homosexuality should be illegal.

39% said wives should always obey their husbands.

So, while you individually may have moderate views there is still a significant chunk of Muslims that believe in things that go against the values of our society. This is not an attack on moderate Muslims, but it is a criticism of those who support abhorrent views and behaviours. This is not spewing hate, just presenting results.

And yes, before anyone says, I am aware some fundamentalist Christians are also against homosexuality. Both are issues in our society.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest