The Student Room Group

Calling out fake allergies

Patrick Friesen, the head chef at Queen Chow, "has some words for vegetarians who 'love a chicken wing'"..

:pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:

The chef has called out people's 'fake food allergies' and shared an image on his Instagram which showed orders with conflicting allergies and dietary requirements..

The post was accompanied by:

"Can people with dietary requirements start knowing what you can and can’t eat? Shellfish allergy but loves oyster sauce. Gluten free but loves gluten as long as it’s not a piece of bread. Vegetarians that love a chicken wing. Pescatarians who eat chicken. Sort your **** out and let your waiter know. You make it really damn hard for people with actual allergies and dietaries to go out to eat."

The post attracted a lot of comments from people who were celiac and have food allergies, who said that people who 'fake' their dietary requirements make it harder for those who have the to go out and eat.
:pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:

What do you guys think about this? Do you have food allergies? Or have you ever said you have when you don't / know someone who has?
(edited 6 years ago)
Coeliac, so I can't eat anything gluten, and oh my god is gluten free food expensive.

I've received some annoyed looks from waiting staff when I ask about gluten free options when eating at restaurants, which is probably partly due to people eating gluten free for the trend.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

I've received some annoyed looks from waiting staff when I ask about gluten free options when eating at restaurants.

Used to own a coffee shop and gluten free food is annoying. Mainly because it has a really bad shelf life, and because you have to be so so so careful about cross contamination, it takes a lot of effort to prepare and as you've said, it's expensive to keep stocked (especially with the short shelf lives, it's annoying if it doesn't sell). That's probably why they seem a bit irritated about the extra precautions that are needed, although it never bothered me personally. It must be frustrating seeing people jump on the gluten-free hype, when you're genuinely allergic to it.
Original post by Whispers
Used to own a coffee shop and gluten free food is annoying. Mainly because it has a really bad shelf life, and because you have to be so so so careful about cross contamination, it takes a lot of effort to prepare and as you've said, it's expensive to keep stocked (especially with the short shelf lives, it's annoying if it doesn't sell). That's probably why they seem a bit irritated about the extra precautions that are needed, although it never bothered me personally. It must be frustrating seeing people jump on the gluten-free hype, when you're genuinely allergic to it.

A lot of places have the 'GF' symbol next to the gluten free options on their menus now, so I'll usually just pick something out of one of the things with that next to it, which means less hassle for everyone.

Spoiler

I hate having to ask someone about it whilst being served because it makes me feel like such a nuisance for them, especially if the waiter has to go and ask the chefs about it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Was allergic to Penicilin but I think it's all good now :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by summer1311
Patrick Friesen, the head chef at Queen Chow, "has some words for vegetarians who 'love a chicken wing'"..

:pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:

The chef has called out people's 'fake food allergies' and shared an image on his Instagram which showed orders with conflicting allergies and dietary requirements..

The post was accompanied by:

"Can people with dietary requirements start knowing what you can and can’t eat? Shellfish allergy but loves oyster sauce. Gluten free but loves gluten as long as it’s not a piece of bread. Vegetarians that love a chicken wing. Pescatarians who eat chicken. Sort your **** out and let your waiter know. You make it really damn hard for people with actual allergies and dietaries to go out to eat."

The post attracted a lot of comments from people who were celiac and have food allergies, who said that people who 'fake' their dietary requirements make it harder for those who have the to go out and eat.
:pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:

What do you guys think about this? Do you have food allergies? Or have you ever said you have when you don't / know someone who has?

Some people are mainly vegetarian and some are on a low gluten diet.
Coeliac, so I can't eat anything gluten, and oh my god is gluten free food expensive.

Agreed. But most people who are "gluten intolerant" are not coeliac and are almost certainly taking a leaf out of this chap's book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. But most people who are "gluten intolerant" are not coeliac and are almost certainly taking a leaf out of this chap's book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

Not quite sure what you're getting at here?
Not quite sure what you're getting at here?

People who have coeliac disease can not neat gluten. If they do, the either die or nearly die. Gluten intolerance is one of a host of modern conditions primarily put forward by self interested wanna-be celebrity dietitians and the marketing departments of companies that manufacture and distribute gluten free foods. It is generally based on pseudo science that sounds plausible but has no grounding in evidence.

"Do you feel bloated after eating? You must be gluten intolerant. Buy our over inflated gluten free products... blah blah blah."

There is no clinical condition called gluten intolerance. It lies firmly in the realms of Gillian McKeith, free foods, natural foods, super foods, liectin free, melon diets, cabbage soup diets and so on.
Original post by ByEeek
People who have coeliac disease can not neat gluten. If they do, the either die or nearly die. Gluten intolerance is one of a host of modern conditions primarily put forward by self interested wanna-be celebrity dietitians and the marketing departments of companies that manufacture and distribute gluten free foods. It is generally based on pseudo science that sounds plausible but has no grounding in evidence.

"Do you feel bloated after eating? You must be gluten intolerant. Buy our over inflated gluten free products... blah blah blah."

There is no clinical condition called gluten intolerance. It lies firmly in the realms of Gillian McKeith, free foods, natural foods, super foods, liectin free, melon diets, cabbage soup diets and so on.

Ok, a lot of typos, but I think I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I don't come close to death if I accidentally eat gluten foods though, I'll just get the s***s, maybe abdominal pain.
Original post by ByEeek

What a load of crap. I used to be wheat intolerant (yes, I know it's not quite the same) and couldn't eat wheat without having an upset stomach. I'm fine now.

I do have an allergy. Goodness knows what it actually is though. Not worked it out; but have mostly managed to avoid it.
Original post by Tiger Rag
What a load of crap. I used to be wheat intolerant (yes, I know it's not quite the same) and couldn't eat wheat without having an upset stomach. I'm fine now.

I do have an allergy. Goodness knows what it actually is though. Not worked it out; but have mostly managed to avoid it.

Why is it a load of crap? I am talking about gluten intolerance (myth) not wheat intolerance. I too know people who are allergic to wheat.

As for your other allergy - cut stuff out and try to isolate it. I used to be allergic to eggs. Thankfully no more. Still allergic to cats, dogs, horses and bizarrely, goats though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending