The Student Room Group

What do I need more for applying to Oxford (Medicine) ?

Hi,
I'm an international student. In my current country (Germany) we don't have APs or A-levels, almost all subjects are compulsory.
For my senior year I'm moving to the USA, but I've not really understood how APs work: can I choose them freely ? How many do I need to get into Oxford ? (I was planning to take 5: Calculus AB, Physics 2, Biology, Chemistry and Statistics).
I'm going to perform Cambridge English Proficiency and SAT, is that enough to have a chance ?
P.S: I'm going to apply for year 2019, but I'm preparing in advance.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matt28900
Hi,
I'm an international student. In my current country (Germany) we don't have APs or A-levels, almost all subjects are compulsory.
For my senior year I'm moving to the USA, but I've not really understood how APs work: can I choose them freely ? How many do I need to get into Oxford ? (I was planning to take 5: Calculus AB, Physics 2, Biology, Chemistry and Statistics).
I'm going to perform Cambridge English Proficiency and SAT, is that enough to have a chance ?

So you're coming to the UK for 1st year of Oxford and then want to go to USA the year after? The course is 6 years long so I don't really know what you mean by senior year. EDIT: Just figured out that you meant you're going to USA before going to oxford - in that case, the thing they are looking for is the SAT - requirements for SAT score is listed here https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications?wssl=1

All of the requirements are listed here, not sure which one the german ones are.
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/requirements/academic

BMAT test is always needed too

they said any other entry requirement questions if not listed can be asked by email to [email protected] . If one of the support staff see's this they might be able to tag the oxford admissions dept but I don't know what they are called
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,

Moved to the medicine forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes, you can choose AP exams freely. You don't even need to be taught them at school; I studied physics on my own. All you need to do for them is pay the fee.
On the requirements page it says you need to a minimum of 3, but it probably helps to have more. They're not as rigorous as A levels, but still moderately tough. I expect Oxford would want you to score 5/5 on all of them.

As mentioned above, you will also need the SAT and BMAT. You may want to consider getting a tutor for the SAT and going through some revision books for the BMAT. There are only a handful of places in the States where you can sit the BMAT, so make sure to have a look for one well in advance. You might need to book a flight to get there.
Five APs in one year is a stretch. Physics 2 is typically two AP exams (1 & 2). Calculus AB is easy - BC may be better (which includes an AB sub-score), although is probably overkill for medicine.

Oxford typically require only three APs, but medicine may have its own requirements, so check. I would not expect them to require more from you, as you'll only have a year to do them.

The most important thing is the BMAT. If it's anything like the MAT, your school can apply to become a test centre (including only for its own students).

The SAT requirement is 1470/1600, which is fairly high. That may take some effort for someone not familiar with it, and needing to prepare for it during a very busy year.

My guess would be that the SAT and English Proficiency are requirements rather than things that could make your application more attractive, particularly given your background.

Good luck.

P.S. Where in the US?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,

Do you have to move to the USA? I hate to be the dream crusher but doing so is going to create a world of problems for you, mainly regarding funding but also regarding qualifications:

Funding: Currently as an EU resident you'd be entitled to the same funding for tuition as a UK student, so government loans for the £9,000 per year. To qualify for that you must have been an EU resident for 3 years before you start. The specific rules regarding what counts as residency can be complicated but I'm pretty sure spending a whole year in the US will mean you count as an international, so fees of £25,000-£35,000 per year without any government support. You should research this thoroughly before committing to any plans - start here.

Education: Both german and US qualifications are acceptable. I would have concerns regarding how completely changing education system the year immediately before you apply might affect your performance though. They will expect very good grades, as well as work experience, a good performance in the BMAT, and a good interview. You'd be significantly hampering yourself.

It is also of note that both internationals and EU students have a much lower success rate than domestic students sitting A-levels. Ideally, you'd be living in the UK and sit A-levels.
Original post by nexttime
Do you have to move to the USA? I hate to be the dream crusher but doing so is going to create a world of problems for you, mainly regarding funding but also regarding qualifications:

This is a very good point. I am British, but moved to California 10 years ago. My son is starting university in the UK this year (Imperial, offer on 7 APs, which he met!) and my daughter looks likely to study in the UK too. It's very expensive - equivalent to Ivy League in cost.

If your parents are moving, it may be less disruptive for you to stay in Germany to complete your education.
Reply 7

Funding: Currently as an EU resident you'd be entitled to the same funding for tuition as a UK student, so government loans for the £9,000 per year. To qualify for that you must have been an EU resident for 3 years before you start. The specific rules regarding what counts as residency can be complicated but I'm pretty sure spending a whole year in the US will mean you count as an international, so fees of £25,000-£35,000 per year without any government support. You should research this thoroughly before committing to any plans - start here.

Education: Both german and US qualifications are acceptable. I would have concerns regarding how completely changing education system the year immediately before you apply might affect your performance though. They will expect very good grades, as well as work experience, a good performance in the BMAT, and a good interview. You'd be significantly hampering yourself.

It is also of note that both internationals and EU students have a much lower success rate than domestic students sitting A-levels. Ideally, you'd be living in the UK and sit A-levels.

Also isn't there a cap on International (ie not EU) medicine places at Oxford? There is at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Also isn't there a cap on International (ie not EU) medicine places at Oxford? There is at Cambridge.

There is at every med school (except the new private ones). I did mention is it more competitive though, which is actually the more relevant point as historically Oxford hasn't even used its full international quota.

Its quite possible the rules regarding internationals will be changed as part of the med schools expansion next year. Its likely the quotas will be made more generous.
Reply 9

Luckily I still qualify as European student, so I shouldn't have problems with fees and fundings.
For the change of school I know is going to be really hard, but I have no other choice. I've bough books to be prepared for SAT, APs and I'm looking for a good guide for the BMAT.
As for work experience, what can I do ? In Germany we usually don't have EC activities or jobs during high school.
Reply 10
Original post by RogerOxon
Five APs in one year is a stretch. Physics 2 is typically two AP exams (1 & 2). Calculus AB is easy - BC may be better (which includes an AB sub-score), although is probably overkill for medicine.

Oxford typically require only three APs, but medicine may have its own requirements, so check. I would not expect them to require more from you, as you'll only have a year to do them.

The most important thing is the BMAT. If it's anything like the MAT, your school can apply to become a test centre (including only for its own students).

The SAT requirement is 1470/1600, which is fairly high. That may take some effort for someone not familiar with it, and needing to prepare for it during a very busy year.

My guess would be that the SAT and English Proficiency are requirements rather than things that could make your application more attractive, particularly given your background.

Good luck.

P.S. Where in the US?

My school will be Falmouth High School in Maine.
Luckily I still qualify as European student, so I shouldn't have problems with fees and fundings.

Its about your residency not nationality. But if you are sure.

As for work experience, what can I do ? In Germany we usually don't have EC activities or jobs during high school.

I'm not sure. You will just have to contact hospitals, family practices, pharmacies, care homes etc and ask. It is pretty much expected that you have some form of voluntary work and often work experience to apply to medicine in the UK though. Oxford is one of the most lenient unis on this, focusing more heavily on academia, but it would still be unwise to apply with nothing.
Reply 12
Its about your residency not nationality. But if you are sure.

My residency should remain in Germany (in our school is compulsory to do the senior year in US, but my family will stay in Germany), so basing on what I've read I still satisfy the requirements.
Things I'm most worried about are APs, BMAT (the SAT doesn't seems too difficult) and getting some job or EC.
My residency should remain in Germany (in our school is compulsory to do the senior year in US, but my family will stay in Germany), so basing on what I've read I still satisfy the requirements.

Check this very carefully, or it could be a very nasty surprise.

Things I'm most worried about are APs, BMAT (the SAT doesn't seems too difficult) and getting some job or EC.

You should talk to an admissions tutor about the APs. I would not personally aim to do much more than the minimum of three. I would be more concerned about the BMAT, SAT and work experience.
Reply 14

Email an Oxford college about this to confirm, like Roger said, you don't want a nasty surprise.

"Based on what i have read"? That does not sound sure at all.

Honestly i would get this in writing from Student Finance England. Which will not be an easy task but it would be worth it. Neither they nor Oxford will be lenient if you get it wrong.
Reply 16
Hi,

One other point... you have 4 medschool slots on UCAS - if Oxford is one what are your other three? And if it's not obvious that does mean you do need to apply to 4, expecially as Medicine is so competitive. It's common for applicants to get 4 rejections out of 4.
Reply 17
Original post by Doonesbury
One other point... you have 4 medschool slots on UCAS - if Oxford is one what are your other three?

The other three are:
1. University College London
2. Edinburgh
3. Queen Mary, University of London
Reply 18
"Based on what i have read"? That does not sound sure at all.

Honestly i would get this in writing from Student Finance England. Which will not be an easy task but it would be worth it. Neither they nor Oxford will be lenient if you get it wrong.

I've sent an email to the Medical division. I'm waiting for a reply (I think it will take time).
Reply 19

It is also of note that both internationals and EU students a much lower success rate than domestic students sitting A-levels. Ideally, you'd be living in the UK and sit A-levels.

To take the A-levels I need to stay in UK for 2 years while to take the American diploma only one (if anyone has different information I'd be very interested).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending