The Student Room Group

Can't stand my bf's mums food?

My boyfriend comes to my house a lot and either my parents or I cook for him. In return his mum then cooks for me. but I hate it!!
She thinks she's a really good cook, she will cook food in the oven during the morning, put it into the fridge, then in the evening cook it again / microwave it, including meat
I don't want to be snobby at all. I don't know if that's what I am being. I was brought up with home made food. That was cooked at the time of eating it. So it was different for me but I held out because I love my boyfriend
8 months down the line and every time I eat at their house I get ill. I think it's because the meat being cooked so badly. Then I am bed bound for a few days while my stomach recovers.

I have tried avoiding their house, but then his mum started saying things like "does she not like me? Does she not like my cooking?" And it made me feel really bad so I couldn't do that ...
I have also said I am on a diet, she then started making more healthy food but again, wasn't cooked right at all
I have said I've ate before I've came but because she makes the food so early she's prepared it for me
I have started going home early to eat when i get home but again it was prepared earlier so she says things like "but I've prepared you some food. You can go after it" so I end up eating
Yesterday for example.. she cooked chicken breasts in the oven then put them in the fridge. Later that evening the chicken had completely dried out and were stuck to the pan. She then put it in the microwave. It was also burnt. She served that to me with plain rice. It was honestly so dry so I asked if they had any sort of sauce or even peppers just something that would spice it up a bit and add flavour and she gave me some mayonnaise

I have told my bf in the nicest way that some food is too dry and stuff but he gets offended because he loves her food!
I do appreciate her cooking for me. However it genuinely does make me ill for days after. I get physically sick.

Help!! How do I avoid eating there ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why dont you agree to cook for her that should get you a couple of outs and then you could also get the bf to cook. You can make a point of doing it from scratch (no showing off).
stop being such a moany b*tch.
Just tell her that the food doesn't suit you!
Jesus Christ, grow a pair and suck it up.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
stop being such a moany b*tch.

you're literally sat on anonymous. don't try to talk to me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
pretend to go vegan
Eating food made earlier in the day won't make you ill, people do eat leftovers, not everyone throws food in the bin after everyone's had their share. If you don't like the food then refuse it, you don't seem to be saying much to not eat her food. Or just stop going round to your bf's house around meal times, it's the only way you can avoid her food or go for shorter visits or tell her you don't like her food politely. Or maybe you are allergic to something in her food and need to see a doctor.
but putting chicken in the fridge so early after cooking isn't right. If you put meat in the fridge while it is still hot then it will go off, it must be cold before putting in the fridge. So if you cook something in the morning/afternoon it should stay in the pan. It can be put in fridge in the evening.
Original post by samzy21
but putting chicken in the fridge so early after cooking isn't right. If you put meat in the fridge while it is still hot then it will go off, it must be cold before putting in the fridge. So if you cook something in the morning/afternoon it should stay in the pan. It can be put in fridge in the evening.

I meant any warm food, shouldn't go in fridge until cool
Reply 10
If you're getting physically ill after eating there, and your boyfriend won't accept the trend, then he's not being very helpful. Maybe claim that you have a sensitive stomach and think up some dishes to have or foods to avoid. I think cooking with her one afternoon could be good. Or offer to cook for her instead as she always cooks for you? Really emphasising happy it would make you to do that for her.
OP I don't know what the solution is but I know how you feel. I don't eat other people's cooking because of bad experiences (unclean utensils, hairs in food etc). I'd be put off as well. I would have made it clear long before now though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending