The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

freshers week

so I wanted to get the Southampton freshers week but apparently, its sold out. Is there any other way to get tickets

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kwabs
so I wanted to get the Southampton freshers week but apparently, its sold out. Is there any other way to get tickets

Tickets don't normally go on sale until mid August. Are you looking at tickets for last year?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Tickets don't normally go on sale until mid August. Are you looking at tickets for last year?

No this year. But for many other universities tickets are already for sale so I assumed that Southampton tickets are already for sale
Original post by kwabs
No this year. But for many other universities tickets are already for sale so I assumed that Southampton tickets are already for sale

https://www.facebook.com/events/2466310730261116/
"As well as being part of our Master Pass, individual tickets will also be available. Ticket prices and how to buy will be announced soon."

https://www.facebook.com/events/1038514299615514/?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A%223%22%2C%22ref_newsfeed_story_type%22%3A%22regular%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D
"Information about how to get your hands on a Master Pass will be released soon.
"Individual tickets are also available for all events."

IIRR tickets don't go on sale until after results day to avoid people spending money only to miss their offer and get rejected
Original post by kwabs

Seems unlikely as most Freshers are still awaiting their results. They're probably just not on sale yet. Contact the student union to make sure.

https://www.susu.org/contact.html
Reply 5
Original post by Crumpet1
Seems unlikely as most Freshers are still awaiting their results. They're probably just not on sale yet. Contact the student union to make sure.

sure thing. thank you
Original post by kwabs
sure thing. thank you

Have a lovely time! I loved my Southampton Uni experience.
Reply 7
Have a lovely time! I loved my Southampton Uni experience.

I have a few questions I would like to ask if you don't mind.

1) what course did you do and did you honestly enjoy it. I plan to do a history degree.
2)I've heard a lot about the night life at Southampton and all are positive things but how was it for you and how often did you go out at night.
3) I like Southampton a lot but I've lived in London all my life and I worry the city will be a disappointment in terms of job opportunities. Any tips?
Sure.

1) what course did you do and did you honestly enjoy it. I plan to do a history degree.

Law. But I'd rather have done history! Law is okay to study, better to practice.

2)I've heard a lot about the night life at Southampton and all are positive things but how was it for you and how often did you go out at night.

I was rubbish at going out at night so I'm not the best person to ask. Maybe someone else can give a better answer. My social life was hanging out with friends, plus I was extremely active with various clubs and societies. I took up so many new things, you will never have so many opportunities to try something new, handed to you on a plate. Definitely attend the Bunfight during Freshers week.

3) I like Southampton a lot but I've lived in London all my life and I worry the city will be a disappointment in terms of job opportunities. Any tips?

I would have liked to stay in Southampton afterwards to work, but sadly every law firm rejected me for their TC scheme. (Fools!) It is a smaller job market and many grads just end up in London afterwards because that's where the grad jobs are. There are post-degree jobs, if you're looking for something different, and there should also be student jobs available if you want to work while you're there. See the careers office early and you may need to be patient as existing students are probably filling a lot of them initially.

But I'd suggest you just enjoy being a student and not worry about the Southampton post-degree job market - not that many people end up working where they studied, I know now. You go where life takes you.
Reply 9
Definitely attend the Bunfight during Freshers week.

I'm not OP, but what's the Bunfight? Also, did you meet many people who also weren't into clubbing and stuff (like how was it with your hall flatmates)?
Original post by TheMoon
I'm not OP, but what's the Bunfight? Also, did you meet many people who also weren't into clubbing and stuff (like how was it with your hall flatmates)?

Southampton splits it's freshers daytime events into two
Freshers fair for local companies/discounts/loyalty schemes/jobs etc
Bunfight for clubs, teams and societies looking for members
Original post by PQ
Southampton splits it's freshers daytime events into two
Freshers fair for local companies/discounts/loyalty schemes/jobs etc
Bunfight for clubs, teams and societies looking for members

Ohhh ok thanks, yeah definitely will be going to that then (if I get in)!
Original post by TheMoon

It's Southampton Uni's name for the clubs and societies fair. I used to come away with SO many things I wanted to join, and then have to make really difficult choices.

Okay, what I'm hearing is that you're nervous that everyone will be mad about drinking and clubbing and you won't fit in. But that simply isn't the case. University is a cross section of society, and there will be people who love clubbing and drinking, and people (probably a majority) who want their university experience to be something completely different from that. What I would say to you is that you need to join the things that YOU want to do, and you will inevitable meet like-minded people. If you do stuff that you hate, then you will meet people who love doing that stuff, and you will have nothing in common with them.

University is the most amazing opportunity to do things that you love (or think you'll love) and find other people who are the same. It's a much bigger pond than school. You will find people like you.

Every year there is the same thread on TSR - people who are scared that they won't fit in. Every year people assure them that they will find their natural place, and every year those same nervous people report back about how well things have gone.

There was a lovely thread about exactly this from a guy going to Southampton, who ended up joining ballroom dancing club (if I remember rightly) and it had all gone wonderfully well for him. If I can find it I'll add it here, but it may take me a while.

Seriously don't worry. My flatmates were an interesting group of characters (genuinely) and only one or two of them were into clubbing. The rest of us liked other things. Every one of the university friends that I keep up with, stem back to one of my flatmates in my first year.

Have a lovely time at uni, and most importantly, join stuff!

Would you believe it I found the thread. Here it is. It wasn't Southampton and it wasn't ball-room dancing, but the principles are no different. Read it (especially the OP's update):

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2118175
(edited 6 years ago)
It's Southampton Uni's name for the clubs and societies fair. I used to come away with SO many things I wanted to join, and then have to make really difficult choices.

Okay, what I'm hearing is that you're nervous that everyone will be mad about drinking and clubbing and you won't fit in. But that simply isn't the case. University is a cross section of society, and there will be people who love clubbing and drinking, and people (probably a majority) who want their university experience to be something completely different from that. What I would say to you is that you need to join the things that YOU want to do, and you will inevitable meet like-minded people. If you do stuff that you hate, then you will meet people who love doing that stuff, and you will have nothing in common with them.

University is the most amazing opportunity to do things that you love (or think you'll love) and find other people who are the same. It's a much bigger pond than school. You will find people like you.

Every year there is the same thread on TSR - people who are scared that they won't fit in. Every year people assure them that they will find their natural place, and every year those same nervous people report back about how well things have gone.

There was a lovely thread about exactly this from a guy going to Southampton, who ended up joining ballroom dancing club (if I remember rightly) and it had all gone wonderfully well for him. If I can find it I'll add it here, but it may take me a while.

Seriously don't worry. My flatmates were an interesting group of characters (genuinely) and only one or two of them were into clubbing. The rest of us liked other things. Every one of the university friends that I keep up with, stem back to one of my flatmates in my first year.

Have a lovely time at uni, and most importantly, join stuff!

Would you believe it I found the thread. Here it is. It wasn't Southampton and it wasn't ball-room dancing, but the principles are no different. Read it (especially the OP's update):

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2118175

Wow, all I can say is thanks so much for this post. I'll definitely go to the Bunfight since I've already got 2 or 3 societies in mind, and maybe I'll see more ones that interest me (although I realise I can't join all of them!)

Yeah you're right, I am definitely nervous about everyone only wanting to go clubbing and drinking from the first day (since that's what I always hear about), but now your post definitely helps me realise that there has to be more people like me. If there are so many posts on TSR asking the same thing as me, then there must be lots of people out there who will be like me.

Definitely feeling a lot more optimistic now, what I've learnt is that I shouldn't really need to force myself to do things I hate like clubbing (maybe I can go once or twice if all my flatmates end up going first day or something), but just do things that I would enjoy and find interesting and hopefully I'll meet people that I have things in common with!

I read through all the posts in that thread you linked, and honestly that's probably one of the most useful threads I've ever read on this site. There's so much good advice, and it's especially helpful since I am very similar to the OP there. Even though it was 5 years ago, I'm really glad that it went well for him and I find it so hilarious that he actually ended up going skydiving hahaha.

I think if I just push myself socially a bit more than usual, then I will hopefully enjoy it and meet people I like (as hard as it is to believe right now!). Again, thanks for the post!
Original post by TheMoon
Wow, all I can say is thanks so much for this post. I'll definitely go to the Bunfight since I've already got 2 or 3 societies in mind, and maybe I'll see more ones that interest me (although I realise I can't join all of them!)

Yeah you're right, I am definitely nervous about everyone only wanting to go clubbing and drinking from the first day (since that's what I always hear about), but now your post definitely helps me realise that there has to be more people like me. If there are so many posts on TSR asking the same thing as me, then there must be lots of people out there who will be like me.

Definitely feeling a lot more optimistic now, what I've learnt is that I shouldn't really need to force myself to do things I hate like clubbing (maybe I can go once or twice if all my flatmates end up going first day or something), but just do things that I would enjoy and find interesting and hopefully I'll meet people that I have things in common with!

I read through all the posts in that thread you linked, and honestly that's probably one of the most useful threads I've ever read on this site. There's so much good advice, and it's especially helpful since I am very similar to the OP there. Even though it was 5 years ago, I'm really glad that it went well for him and I find it so hilarious that he actually ended up going skydiving hahaha.

I think if I just push myself socially a bit more than usual, then I will hopefully enjoy it and meet people I like (as hard as it is to believe right now!). Again, thanks for the post!

It WAS Southampton. At least I wasn't making that up. And doesn't Leyton sound rather a sweetie. I was so glad things worked out for him.

Yes, just keep an eye on TSR for the next two months, the theme of "I don't drink and I don't like clubbing, am I going to be a pariah" will be repeated.
It WAS Southampton. At least I wasn't making that up. And doesn't Leyton sound rather a sweetie. I was so glad things worked out for him.

Yeah it was (even so, I don't think I'll be joining that skydiving society :eek:)! I don't think there's such thing as a boring person, it's just people have different interests and I'm glad he found that out.

Yes, just keep an eye on TSR for the next two months, the theme of "I don't drink and I don't like clubbing, am I going to be a pariah" will be repeated.

Hahah I've already seen multiple posts asking that in the last week and it's 2 months until fresher's, so I'm sure I'll see my fair share of people asking similar questions to mine by the time September comes!
Hey, I'm going to start uni at southampton this year and, because I'm a european student, I don't know much about what freshers week is. Is it like a week before lectures and regular uni starts where there are parties and stuff like that? Do you know when it starts? And do you need tickets or something to go there? By the way, I applied for accomodation in halls and it says they're available from the 23rd of September, but I heard freshers week usually starts a few days before that, is that right?Sorry for the many questions and thanks :biggrin:
Original post by tommaso99
Hey, I'm going to start uni at southampton this year and, because I'm a european student, I don't know much about what freshers week is. Is it like a week before lectures and regular uni starts where there are parties and stuff like that? Do you know when it starts? And do you need tickets or something to go there? By the way, I applied for accomodation in halls and it says they're available from the 23rd of September, but I heard freshers week usually starts a few days before that, is that right?Sorry for the many questions and thanks :biggrin:

The first week of the autumn term is called Freshers Week (it starts on 23 September). It is the week when new students get to know each other, and perform other administrative tasks such as opening bank accounts, getting their course timetable, buying books etc. There are also other 'getting to know you' activities including (as you've identified) parties, the bunfight (that's the clubs & societies fair) etc. There will be a whole programme of events.

It is not necessary to have a ticket to Freshers Week. It happens whether you have a ticket or not, and most activities you will be able to attend. There will be some activities that are ticket-only, and you will receive that information from the university in due course. I should imagine that the reason why the information has not been sent already, is that UK A'level results are not due out for a few weeks, so not everybody knows yet which university they have got into.

As an international student there may also be a few special days before Freshers Week that you will also be invited to. This is fairly common and it looks as though it starts on 21 September at Southampton. Only international students are invited, and during those days you participate in a special international students programme, getting to know each other and learning what university life in the UK will be like. This is often the time when international students open bank accounts in the UK, and there may be special arrangements enabling you to do that ... opening a bank account in the UK is not easy if you have no history of living here, so that is one of the most important things for you to do. There is some information at the bottom of this page here, if you haven't received it yet:
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/international/before-you-arrive.page#arrival

This seems to suggest that as an international student you may be able to get into your hall of residence early (on 21st), but of course you should check this.
(edited 6 years ago)
The first week of the autumn term is called Freshers Week (it starts on 23 September). It is the week when new students get to know each other, and perform other administrative tasks such as opening bank accounts, getting their course timetable, buying books etc. There are also other 'getting to know you' activities including (as you've identified) parties, the bunfight (that's the clubs & societies fair) etc. There will be a whole programme of events.

It is not necessary to have a ticket to Freshers Week. It happens whether you have a ticket or not, and most activities you will be able to attend. There will be some activities that are ticket-only, and you will receive that information from the university in due course. I should imagine that the reason why the information has not been sent already, is that UK A'level results are not due out for a few weeks, so not everybody knows yet which university they have got into.

As an international student there may also be a few special days before Freshers Week that you will also be invited to. This is fairly common and it looks as though it starts on 21 September at Southampton. Only international students are invited, and during those days you participate in a special international students programme, getting to know each other and learning what university life in the UK will be like. This is often the time when international students open bank accounts in the UK, and there may be special arrangements enabling you to do that ... opening a bank account in the UK is not easy if you have no history of living here, so that is one of the most important things for you to do. There is some information at the bottom of this page here, if you haven't received it yet:
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/international/before-you-arrive.page#arrival

This seems to suggest that as an international student you may be able to get into your hall of residence early (on 21st), but of course you should check this.

Thank you so much for all the info!
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/welcome <= is worth a look if you're unsure about dates and what you'll be doing when (and what needs to happen before)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending