The Student Room Group

Need some serious advice - Masters in Life Sciences

Hi there,

Ok, decision time.

I would like to do a PhD in a Molecular field concerning the environment next year. There are quite a few of these - they mostly use omics techniques and cell cultural techniques. Having previously spoken to a lecturer on one of these, she advised I do an Mres or Msc to get more wet lab experience.

So, I've been accepted to Imperial for MRes in Biomed (original choice of MRes Molecular was rejected). I've also got an offer from Edinburgh for the same course and an MSc Biosciences offer for Leeds.

My dilemma is: will it matter if it's Biomed? Can I still go and look at environmental molecular matters afterwards? Arguably, Imperial particularly does couple health and environmental sciences research, but I'm in a moral gridlock here.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask...perhaps someone has taken this path on here before and can advise.
Not at all. Transitioning from biology to biomed or vice versa is fairly common.

Getting the lab experience under your belt is what is important. Pick a project that is relevant to the techniques you will likely use on the PhD.
Reply 2
Original post by Quantex
Not at all. Transitioning from biology to biomed or vice versa is fairly common.

Getting the lab experience under your belt is what is important. Pick a project that is relevant to the techniques you will likely use on the PhD.

Thanks Quantex! Great to hear!
Original post by Afiah90
Thanks Quantex! Great to hear!

No problem. It is a fairly common concern from people in your situation. Carrying out molecular techniques accurately and demonstrating that you are a good researcher are more important than focusing on cancer genomics or rice genomics as the skills involved are transferable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending