The Student Room Group

Is it recommended to take 4 A level subjects and not write one at AS level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Laatinah
I sort of have a problem choosing between biology and physics. Both are needed to apply for medicine so now I want to do both along with Mathematics and Chemistry at A level. Is 4 subjects recommended?

Just a heads up, not taking biology would limit your choices of med schools by around half (source: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf)

Edit: 17 out of 31 med schools in the UK require biology at A-Level (or AS level minimum). Alphabetically, this includes:

Brighton/Sussex

Cardiff

East Anglia

Edinburgh (not compulsory but ‘preferred’)

Exeter

Hull/York

Imperial

King’s College London

Lancaster

Leicester

Liverpool

Nottingham

Plymouth

Southampton

St George’s, London

UCL
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Sacred Ground
You want to study medicine and it confuses you that medical schools prefer an A level in biology rather than physics? I'm not following

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes because physics is the universal language of any science related course, apparently
Reply 22
Original post by milkm4n
Just a heads up, not taking biology would limit your choices of med schools by around half (source: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf)

Oh no. Just when I thought I could leave biology. More thinking to do now but thank you for this. It's very informative
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes because physics is the universal language of any science related course, apparently

Well don't expect a great deal of physics in a medicine degree
Reply 24
Oh no. Just when I thought I could leave physics. More thinking to do now but thank you for this. It's very informative

I know it's frustrating, I was in your exact same shoes 2 years ago. I ended up doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths (despite not wanting to do biology since I didn't like it as much as the others). Having thought that, biology turned out still to be an interesting subject. Regarding doing 4 subjects, it's do-able but be cautious of the new A-level reforms; exams are now linearly assessed (all exams are taken in y13) so there's a bit more pressure at the end
Reply 25
Original post by milkm4n
I know it's frustrating, I was in your exact same shoes 2 years ago. I ended up doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths (despite not wanting to do biology since I didn't like it as much as the others). Having thought that, biology turned out still to be an interesting subject. Regarding doing 4 subjects, it's do-able but be cautious of the new A-level reforms; exams are now linearly assessed (all exams are taken in y13) so there's a bit more pressure at the end

For us we can take some exams in y12 but only if it is AS. So you did 4 subjects at y13?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 26
For us we can take some exams in y12 but only if it is AS. So you did 4 subjects at y12?

Depending on your school, if you do AS exams in a subject and decide not to continue it to A2, you will still keep your AS qualification. With the new A-Level reforms, if you continue to A2, your AS qualification gets erased.

In y12 I did 5 AS levels (bio, chem, physics, maths and further maths). In y13 I dropped further maths and picked up EPQ (meaning I still have that AS qualification in f.maths).
Reply 27
Original post by milkm4n
Depending on your school, if you do AS exams in a subject and decide not to continue it to A2, you will still keep your AS qualification. With the new A-Level reforms, if you continue to A2, your AS qualification gets erased.

In y12 I did 5 AS levels (bio, chem, physics, maths and further maths). In y13 I dropped further maths and picked up EPQ (meaning I still have that AS qualification in f.maths).

Ok understood
Original post by Sacred Ground
Universities rarely ask for 4, especially for medicine. Which universities are you talking about?

Nm, I got that wrong, it was only Imperial that asked for 4.

Quick Reply

Latest