The Student Room Group

SPSS

Hi,
I've never used a student room before so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.
I'm studying psychology and criminology and as part of an assignment I have to use spss.
I'm just wondering if someone can help point me in the right direction.
I've been provided with the raw data and COPE scores.
How do I put this raw data into spss so I can start analysing it?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hi I am a psych grad- you need to add the score into the 'Data View' window and then the labels (variable names - under 'Name') into the 'Variable View' window. Ensure that you define the level of measurement (scale, nominal..).

To analyse, click on 'Analyze' at the top. Then select the appropriate analysis.

Hope this is enough! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Jonnys96
Hi I am a psych grad- you need to add the score into the 'Data View' window and then the labels (variable names - under 'Name':wink: into the 'Variable View' window. Ensure that you define the level of measurement (scale, nominal..).

To analyse, click on 'Analyze' at the top. Then select the appropriate analysis.

Hope this is enough! :smile:

Thank you for your reply. I've managed to submit the raw data into spss. I'm so confused.I know what my result are but I can't seem to figure out the relevant tests I need to conduct. I know that younger females tend to seek out social support more than mature students do. My head is going to explode -__-
Reply 3
It sounds like an independent groups design as you have two separate groups... So is it - IV has two levels (younger and mature) and the DV is social support? If so, you may need to calculate an unrelated t-test :smile: If you're first year, it should not go beyond that type of calculation :biggrin:
Reply 4
It sounds like an independent groups design as you have two separate groups... So is it - IV has two levels (younger and mature) and the DV is social support? If so, you may need to calculate an unrelated t-test :smile: If you're first year, it should not go beyond that type of calculation :biggrin:

Omg thank you so much. I've asked other people and they've had me running anova tests and I've got no idea what they are so my brain is literally broken right now 😂 Would this be the same test if if the seeking social support was through a cope scale ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Omg no way haha! ANOVA is much more advanced than that (three levels or more than one IV. Yeah same test! The DV must always be scale for it to meet parametric assumptions :smile:
Reply 6
Omg no way haha! ANOVA is much more advanced than that (three levels or more than one IV. Yeah same test! The DV must always be scale for it to meet parametric assumptions :smile:

Thank you so much for helping me with this assignment :smile:
I have finally completed the test ( i know it took me a while , had to watch a couple of YouTube videos -__-)
Really appreciate your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending