The Student Room Group

Are muslims being bullied on this website?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by баребyх
So nature vs nurture.

It is unknown really, but it obviously occurs naturally since it happens.
Original post by Meany Pie
It is unknown really, but it obviously occurs naturally since it happens.

Sorry, not quite what i meant. Being a Muslim is nurture so fee game, being LGBT is..
Original post by баребyх
Sorry, not quite what i meant. Being a Muslim is nurture so fee game, being LGBT is..

I see, fair point.
Much worse comments and bullying towards gay people whenever a thread on homosexuality is made. I have never seen Muslims be called an abomination or against nature like gay people are in homosexuality threads on here.
Original post by yudothis
You are really young, aren't you? Funny to see tbh, how age can affect how people think and view things.

There were people picking at Islam long, long before ISIS. If anything, you can blame mainstream criticism of Islam on Bin Laden. Although of course the other factor is exposure - there are more Muslims living in the west, and with the internet first and then social media people see more. But to blame ISIS for this is inherently short-sighted.

ISIS was formed before 9/11, but I would agree with the rest of that paragraph.
Reply 85
LOL the derailment of this thread. Why is it that any non-topic religious based threads turn into an argument of people debating whether homosexuality, religion or free speech is fine.

Original post by butfirst_coffee
That wasn't my point.

My point is people here promote free speech only when it suits them. People attack a religious person who claims that 'homosexuality is not natural.' But thats their free speech. Why dont they have the right to say that but you do have the right to say 'Islam is a violent religion.' Under the argument that it's 'free speech.' The level of ignorance is sad. To you a religion may just be an ideology but to those following the religion its their BELIEF. Like homosexuality can't just be 'switched' to being straight people can't just ignore their beliefs. And you're not respecting that but enforcing that we have to respect you're opinions. Proof and evidences of these claims aside.

Yes Ideas don't have rights but people do have rights to have ideas and beliefs. If you want free speech to disagree with Islam. Give muslims/christians/Jews the right to disagree with homosexuality (without giving them hate)

Much of what you say is true. People here only claim "free speech" when it suits them. If you have an unpopular opinion it is considered to be hate speech and you get censored, regardless of whether your opinion is on religion or sexual orientation. But the latter part always has the warriors on their side and is unpopular opinions against them is always censored here. But then again, the internet is not free speech so people can't say what they want, as they'll be censored.

To say homosexuality is not natural is fundamentally incorrect and a logical fallacy. Actually to say "Islam is a violent religion" would get you carded as you are generalising an entire religion.

Free speech is not an argument on here since it is UK based and free speech is not protected by law. If it were it would contradict our hate speech laws.

A religion by definition is an ideology (synonymous with belief).

Homosexuality is not an opinion.

I am still struggling to understand how one can disagree with how someone is, it would like disagreeing with disability or disagreeing with having blonde hair. It just doesn't make any sense.

Whether homosexuality is or isn't an opinion is a persons choice. It can be an opinion if they wish. You can't dictate what is or what isn't an opinion.

Now saying "homosexuality is not natural is fundamentally incorrect or a logical fallacy" is false. If it was natural or beneficial to homo sapiens, then we would have evolved for it to be supported after all these billions of years by now, cause more people would've always been inclined to do it if it was natural as they all say, but we didn't. Studies about same sex parents having no negative effects on children are all not claimable as we have not had a shred of long term evidence to support their claims. Same as when climate change deniers say breathing in heavy loads of carbon monoxide is just a part of nature due to the earths evolution, then we would naturally filter out all the toxins. But we don't and we see an increase in the rise of asthma and breathing problems.

That image from "Richards Dawkins", yeah great guy he is.... What about atheism? Companies? Brands? They all have rights too but they are all ideas?
Everything can be argued to be an ideology, capitalism, communism, living a heterosexual life, etc. they are all ideas that stem from somewhere and someone.
To say homosexuality is not natural is fundamentally incorrect and a logical fallacy. Actually to say "Islam is a violent religion" would get you carded as you are generalising an entire religion.

Free speech is not an argument on here since it is UK based and free speech is not protected by law. If it were it would contradict our hate speech laws.

A religion by definition is an ideology (synonymous with belief).

Homosexuality is not an opinion.

I am still struggling to understand how one can disagree with how someone is, it would like disagreeing with disability or disagreeing with having blonde hair. It just doesn't make any sense.

Some people believe the world is flat, earth is 5000 years old and that crystal balls and horoscopes are real, what's your point? People should be free to believe whatever the hell they want no matter how much it flies in the face of reality. Just because something is scientifically proven doesn't mean people are not allowed to reject it.

Yes it makes them an idiot but you criticising and voicing and your opinion about religion under the liberty of free speech is is no different to someone criticising and voice their opinion about homosexuality or voodoo dolls or black magic etc.

I think we have a homosexual feminist over here boys.
Reply 87
Original post by Pancakes<3
Some people believe the world is flat, earth is 5000 years old and that crystal balls and horoscopes are real, what's your point? People should be free to believe whatever the hell they want no matter how much it flies in the face of reality. Just because something is scientifically proven doesn't mean people are not allowed to reject it.

Yes it makes them an idiot but you criticising and voicing and your opinion about religion under the liberty of free speech is is no different to someone criticising and voice their opinion about homosexuality or voodoo dolls or black magic etc.

Agreed.

But scientifically proven? I haven't seen anyone here reject things like that.
Most things that are rejected are merely theories or beliefs.
Original post by aware1
Agreed.

Maybe not here on this forum but there are 10's of thousands of people who believe the earth is flat or some other crazy nonsense and its mathematically and physically proven the earth is round.

At the end of the day free speech isn't designed for one party to have their say and the other party to accept it, no matter the evidence. Its designed so both parties can share their views equally, no matter how ridiculous they are, as long as they are not inciting hatred or breaking any laws.

This forum is so far left, so left in fact it shuts down unpopular opinion. In fact if you look at the people who mod this forum many of them are lgbt so dont be shocked when your unpopular view gets shut the **** down lol even though we have so called "free speech".

There is no free speech on this forum, anyone who thinks otherwise is bonkers.
Original post by aware1
Agreed.

Does "theory" imply a lack of evidence?
Original post by aware1
Whether homosexuality is or isn't an opinion is a persons choice. It can be an opinion if they wish. You can't dictate what is or what isn't an opinion.

Now saying "homosexuality is not natural is fundamentally incorrect or a logical fallacy" is false. If it was natural or beneficial to homo sapiens, then we would have evolved for it to be supported after all these billions of years by now, cause more people would've always been inclined to do it if it was natural as they all say, but we didn't. Studies about same sex parents having no negative effects on children are all not claimable as we have not had a shred of long term evidence to support their claims. Same as when climate change deniers say breathing in heavy loads of carbon monoxide is just a part of nature due to the earths evolution, then we would naturally filter out all the toxins. But we don't and we see an increase in the rise of asthma and breathing problems.

That image from "Richards Dawkins", yeah great guy he is.... What about atheism? Companies? Brands? They all have rights too but they are all ideas?
Everything can be argued to be an ideology, capitalism, communism, living a heterosexual life, etc. they are all ideas that stem from somewhere and someone.

Homosexuality is a fact.

Whether it is beneficial or not is irrelevant. It is natural in the fact that it naturally occurs, even in the most repressive societies homosexuality still comes out.

People are free to believe what they like.

Free speech is not a liberty we have in the UK.

What has my sexuality got to do with this?

I'm not a feminist :h:
If you bully Muslims here in TSR you get kicked out immediately, we don't take this kind of **** lightly in here!
Homosexuality is a fact.

Whether it is beneficial or not is irrelevant. It is natural in the fact that it naturally occurs, even in the most repressive societies homosexuality still comes out.

Similar to religion in that regard then.
Homosexuality is a fact.

People are free to believe what they like.

Free speech is not a liberty we have in the UK.

What has my sexuality got to do with this?

I'm not a feminist :h:

You implied that because homosexuality is natural and its not a choice that people should accept it and are not permitted to use their free speech to challenge it or deny it. Even though its a fact they are still allowed to disagree with you and the evidence.

This is the kind of thing that happens too much on this forum. The popular opinion always trumps and those on the other side of the evidence are having their freedom of speech suppressed by speaking out. In a true freedom of speech environment / forum I should be able to say whatever I want about anything I want. I can call trump a jerk, I can say women are not as smart as men, I can say homosexuality is a choice, I can say Islam is violent etc etc. The only statement there I believe is that trump is a jerk btw, the others are just for demonstration.

However posts like these are simply not allowed because they "offend" people.

Rule number 1 says: Respect the opinions of others and their privacy but then it's contradicted with rule number 4: Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views.

It's impossible to adhere to both these rules cos anyone can find anything offensive and are likely to feel discriminated against. Freedom of speech died a long time ago unfortunately.
Original post by Fermion.
This thread was pointless. As if people on this website are going to listen to you.

"Welcome Squad"
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
"Welcome Squad"

Whats your point? :smile:
You implied that because homosexuality is natural and its not a choice that people should accept it and are not permitted to use their free speech to challenge it or deny it. Even though its a fact they are still allowed to disagree with you and the evidence.

This is the kind of thing that happens too much on this forum. The popular opinion always trumps and those on the other side of the evidence are having their freedom of speech suppressed by speaking out. In a true freedom of speech environment / forum I should be able to say whatever I want about anything I want. I can call trump a jerk, I can say women are not as smart as men, I can say homosexuality is a choice, I can say Islam is violent etc etc. The only statement there I believe is that trump is a jerk btw, the others are just for demonstration.

Rule number 1 says: Respect the opinions of others and their privacy but then it's contradicted with rule number 4: Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views.

It's impossible to adhere to both these rules cos anyone can find anything offensive and are likely to feel discriminated against. Freedom of speech died a long time ago unfortunately.

You can say what you like, but it still has to comply with the community rules otherwise it will be removed. It isn't that hard to comply.

Who would choose to be homosexual in a country that kills you for it?

The UK never had free speech and this is a private forum which sets its own rule which you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Rubbish. Posts which "offend" are regularly allowed. Just search the site today in D&CA - I can guarantee you'll be offended in about 5 minutes. Rule-breaking posts are not allowed. I don't see why that's a problem for you.

Moreover, if you have such strong opinions about certain views not being allowed on TSR, or it being such a hotbed of censorship, why haven't you contributed more to counter this apparent tendency? You've made 120 posts in 7 years of membership, or 0.04 posts a day. It's easy to stand on the sidelines and carp, but maybe more useful to get involved with sometimes difficult conversations and have your say respectfully but forcefully.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
"Welcome Squad"

Legendary username
Original post by Reality Check
What, but we can waste our lives making troll accounts?

better hide your sockpuppets bois

Quick Reply

Latest