The Student Room Group

1/3 of 11 year olds can't swim when they leave school

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am in my first year at Uni and still can't swim. I am constantly scared of water, as I know that if I get into difficulties, I will have no chance. The difficulties I face is that I suffer from a moderate degree of Aspergers, which makes me very shy in going to places like swimming pools. I have always wanted to learn it - are there any swimming groups for people with Aspergers?
Reply 41
I think swimming should be compulsory, but then I liked swimming. Surprising stats.
Original post by Danny Dorito
Ministers have stated that "more must be done" to improve school swimming

More might be done if the government wasn't continuously starving state schools of funds.
School swimming lessons were absolute AIDS when I did them tbf, didn't really learn how to swim properly until I was like 9 or 10. Those numbers are pretty nuts tho, I thought like 90% of parents gave their kids swimming lessons when they were young but erm... clearly not.
Original post by Loopy91

In primary school, when we were given lessons on it, I was too scared of drowning or having my face in the water that I wouldn't cooperate with the instructors. I would even make excuses not to go! 😅

Same. One of the little sh*ts pulled me underwater and all the instructor did was shout at me for splashing, which wasn't allowed. I've been afraid of water since. :/
Original post by Plagioclase
More might be done if the government wasn't continuously starving state schools of funds.

It's nothing to do with money. It all renders down to worrying about academic standards and SATs. It takes nearly half a day to take the kids down to the local swimming pool whereas a PE lesson can be done in an hour. Time spent on swimming that could be spent on long division or verbs.

I remember when I was at primary school having to jump into the deep end of a swimming pool with clothes on and recover a brick. Why? In case I happen to lose my car keys in a river?
Original post by Arran90
I remember when I was at primary school having to jump into the deep end of a swimming pool with clothes on and recover a brick. Why? In case I happen to lose my car keys in a river?

It teaches you to dive without you having to think about it :smile: We had to fetch quoits and things, was always my favorite bit!

I can't imagine not being able to swim. I've been in the pool since I was a toddler. I feel bad for all you guys that can't or are scared to :frown:
I think swimming is a basic skill like running. You don't have to be amazing at it, but being able to run or swim a little is incredibly helpful and might get you out of trouble one day.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Arran90
It's nothing to do with money. It all renders down to worrying about academic standards and SATs. It takes nearly half a day to take the kids down to the local swimming pool whereas a PE lesson can be done in an hour. Time spent on swimming that could be spent on long division or verbs.

So long division is more important than an important life saving skill?

I'm trying to remember the last time I used division. I really can't.
Original post by Tiger Rag

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Having had swimming lessons that my parents made me do, as well as swimming lessons in school, this blows my mind.

Schools should be doing what they were made to do, prepare us for life. I'd say learning how to swim is pretty damn important considering it can be potentially life saving, not only for the person learning, but for people said person may end up saving in the future. Such a simple thing can save so many lives, not to mention you can better enjoy things like water parks, or the beach... Well... Not our beaches.

Yes, as far as KS2 SATs are concerned. Children could have an ASA Gold Award but it won't be of any use when it comes to the KS2 SATs.

Beside the point. The SATS papers have questions about long division.
Original post by Arran90
Yes, as far as KS2 SATs are concerned. Children could have an ASA Gold Award but it won't be of any use when it comes to the KS2 SATs.

Beside the point. The SATS papers have questions about long division.

What use are my SATs to me?
What use are my SATs to me?

SATs are not a qualification. They are no use for children. All they exist for is evaluating the quality of teaching in primary schools.

Sadly, for many primary schools SATs rule and life skills have to take a back seat.

There's also a popular school of thought that school is for academic stuff and parents are responsible for teaching life skills like swimming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending