The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Adult Nursing

Anybody starting this September/October with adult nursing (or mental health even)?

Would love to have someone else to talk to, and I'm also wondering what happens now and when do we get our planners?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your the first OU student i've come across doing nursing. You should get your books early September and the module website usually opens around the 7th or so. Until then enjoy your freedom whilst it lasts lol :P
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Haha thank you I shall :tongue: just 5 minutes ago received an email about induction so I feel a little better now!!
Reply 3
Yep I'm starting soon! Haven't had any induction info yet so just trying to patiently wait for it.
What grades did u get and can u get in with applied science instead of biology
I'm waiting to start a distant learning access course for Nursing. I wasn't even aware there was a distant learning nursing program. I would be fascinated to learn how it works.
Reply 6
Original post by DarkBette
Yep I'm starting soon! Haven't had any induction info yet so just trying to patiently wait for it.

Yey :biggrin: I thought I was all alone! Where are you based? I'm in West Yorkshire and doing induction at Leeds beckett.
Reply 7
Original post by bigbootyjay
What grades did u get and can u get in with applied science instead of biology

Grades for what? I haven't done any science since high school GCSEs and I got a D!
Reply 8
Original post by misfitevan
I'm waiting to start a distant learning access course for Nursing. I wasn't even aware there was a distant learning nursing program. I would be fascinated to learn how it works.

You get the support of your NHS employer and they supply a mentor and placements for you, all coursework is done online :smile:
Original post by Pennyjoann
You get the support of your NHS employer and they supply a mentor and placements for you, all coursework is done online :smile:

Unfortunately I don't work for the NHS currently :frown: I'm a support worker for adults with learning disabilities/Autism. Hopefully it's a gateway for more people to get into nursing in the future
Yey :biggrin: I thought I was all alone! Where are you based? I'm in West Yorkshire and doing induction at Leeds beckett.

Based at Northampton. Been a theatre support worker for nearly 5 years so this is gonna be a big step up for me.

Are you a HCA?
Reply 11
Original post by misfitevan
Unfortunately I don't work for the NHS currently :frown: I'm a support worker for adults with learning disabilities/Autism. Hopefully it's a gateway for more people to get into nursing in the future

I don't think it necessarily has to be NHS as long as your employer will support you and you are working in either mental health or adult setting :biggrin:
Reply 12
Based at Northampton. Been a theatre support worker for nearly 5 years so this is gonna be a big step up for me.

Are you a HCA?

Ooh awesome! :biggrin: I've never worked in a surgical setting! yeah I'm a HCA, been 2 years on the elderly ward at Huddersfield royal. Done some work in nursing homes and a 10 month stint in the community.

Do you start September or October?
Ooh awesome! :biggrin: I've never worked in a surgical setting! yeah I'm a HCA, been 2 years on the elderly ward at Huddersfield royal. Done some work in nursing homes and a 10 month stint in the community.

Do you start September or October?

I think I start in Sept... I had to email OU to find out what's happening, I should get some letters this week.

I've never worked in a pure medical setting. most of my patients are asleep so that's going to be quite the change.

I'm looking forward to getting a reading list and purchasing some books and stationery.

Have you done any prep at all for it?
Reply 14
I think I start in Sept... I had to email OU to find out what's happening, I should get some letters this week.

I've never worked in a pure medical setting. most of my patients are asleep so that's going to be quite the change.

I'm looking forward to getting a reading list and purchasing some books and stationery.

Have you done any prep at all for it?

I think I'll feel a bit lost on surgical placement, been told you are either a surgical nurse or medical, have a feeling i'll be medical!

I'm too waiting to hear from them, they said planners would be available in the next 2 week and that was almost 2 week ago.

No prep no, but I am a hoarder of stationery :biggrin: have just bought a new planner though. Apparently the open university good study guide is a good book to buy, you can get it from Amazon.
I think I'll feel a bit lost on surgical placement, been told you are either a surgical nurse or medical, have a feeling i'll be medical!

I'm too waiting to hear from them, they said planners would be available in the next 2 week and that was almost 2 week ago.

No prep no, but I am a hoarder of stationery :biggrin: have just bought a new planner though. Apparently the open university good study guide is a good book to buy, you can get it from Amazon.

Oh I'll have to have a look at that book.

Yeah we always say to students you'll either love theatre or you won't. And it seems to be quite true. I'm hoping to get a placement in a&e or ITU.

Two weeks for planners sounds so scary! it's come round so quick. I love a bit of stationery too. Just got the final offer letter through this afternoon so now I feel i can go and have a bit of a splurge on some new bits.
Hi guys so glad I came across this thread. How did you guys get onto this course? was your NHS trust supportive I take it? who did you speak to about it in your NHS trust? I am studying just now with the OU and would love to do nursing with them also but not sure how supportive my trust would be.
Reply 17
Original post by bri90bri
Hi guys so glad I came across this thread. How did you guys get onto this course? was your NHS trust supportive I take it? who did you speak to about it in your NHS trust? I am studying just now with the OU and would love to do nursing with them also but not sure how supportive my trust would be.

Hi! 😃 I knew my trust already supported the programme, there's a girl who does her core placement on my ward, she will be qualified in October! Also in December they had put up a poster in my staff room about the programme and info on how to apply. I went to an information session about it at my hospital, asked my manager if she would support my application and then applied in January.

What are you studying with the OU? The best thing to do would be ask your manager or if they don't know get in touch with learning team if your trust has one?
Reply 18
Oh I'll have to have a look at that book.

Yeah we always say to students you'll either love theatre or you won't. And it seems to be quite true. I'm hoping to get a placement in a&e or ITU.

Two weeks for planners sounds so scary! it's come round so quick. I love a bit of stationery too. Just got the final offer letter through this afternoon so now I feel i can go and have a bit of a splurge on some new bits.

Hey ☺️ did you get your planner?
Hi! 😃 I knew my trust already supported the programme, there's a girl who does her core placement on my ward, she will be qualified in October! Also in December they had put up a poster in my staff room about the programme and info on how to apply. I went to an information session about it at my hospital, asked my manager if she would support my application and then applied in January.

What are you studying with the OU? The best thing to do would be ask your manager or if they don't know get in touch with learning team if your trust has one?

Hey :smile: please could you please explain what the interviews are like for adult nursing and the typical questions they ask? Also how are the maths questions?

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending