The Student Room Group

Name when signing up on UCAS enquiry/problem?

Hey, everyone! I'm just going to sign up for UCAS for 2018. And I have a big problem, which is affecting me not wanting to sign up. Yep, its a problem with my name, and I'm am really conscious about it. Okay, so my name *I'm not going to use my real name just for privacy reasons* which how I spell it and the teacher spell it is: (Abcdef) but my passport is spell like this (Abc Def) which is quite confusing for me, since many of you will probably think that (Abc) is my first name and (Def) is my middle name, which is not, because it is (Abcdef). What should I do? I mean, all my passport, birth certificate is spell like (Abc Def), but all of my GCSE's certificates are all spelt like (Abcdef) and many of my friends says it doesn't matter since it isn't a very big change to my name, because all I did was spell/write my name without the space, so I can stop any confusion for any teachers spelling or saying half of my name as my full name? What should I do? Because in UCAS it had told me to spell it exactly how it is on my passport, birth certificate etc... But I don't want to, because I know they will misunderstood my name, and instead think that (Abc) is my first name and (Def) is my middle name? Please help? Many, Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HoneyDew.Melon
Hey, everyone! I'm just going to sign up for UCAS for 2018. And I have a big problem, which is affecting me not wanting to sign up. Yep, its a problem with my name, and I'm am really conscious about it. Okay, so my name *I'm not going to use my real name just for privacy reasons* which how I spell it and the teacher spell it is: (Abcdef) but my passport is spell like this (Abc Def) which is quite confusing for me, since many of you will probably think that (Abc) is my first name and (Def) is my middle name, which is not, because it is (Abcdef). What should I do? I mean, all my passport, birth certificate is spell like (Abc Def), but all of my GCSE's certificates are all spelt like (Abcdef) and many of my friends says it doesn't matter since it isn't a very big change to my name, because all I did was spell/write my name without the space, so I can stop any confusion for any teachers spelling or saying half of my name as my full name? What should I do? Because in UCAS it had told me to spell it exactly how it is on my passport, birth certificate etc... But I don't want to, because I know they will misunderstood my name, and instead think that (Abc) is my first name and (Def) is my middle name? Please help? Many, Thanks :smile:

You should write it exactly as written on your passport and birth certificate, otherwise you could be caught out for fraud. There are separate boxes for surnames and personal given names so provided you write the legally correct names in each box, you'll be fine.
Original post by super_kawaii
You should write it exactly as written on your passport and birth certificate, otherwise you could be caught out for fraud. There are separate boxes for surnames and personal given names so provided you write the legally correct names in each box, you'll be fine.

What do you mean there will be a separate box? If I sign up for UCAS and written my name exactly how my passport is spelt (Abc Def) and there's a separate box for additional can I write (Abcdef)?? Sorry, I'm very confused.
What do you mean there will be a separate box? If I sign up for UCAS and written my name exactly how my passport is spelt (Abc Def) and there's a separate box for additional can I write (Abcdef)?? Sorry, I'm very confused.

There is a given name box, in which you must write it EXACTLY as written in official government issued ID (so in your case Abc Def), then an entirely separate box for your surname, which again, must be spelt EXACTLY as written in official government ID.
There is a given name box, in which you must write it EXACTLY as written in official government issued ID (so in your case Abc Def), then an entirely separate box for your surname, which again, must be spelt EXACTLY as written in official government ID.

Hey, thank you! I know what you mean, I do not have any problems with my surname, its just my forename that causing me to have some problems? But, LOL! I need help. Okay, I get that i MUST write EXACTLY how it is on my Passport, birth certificate etc... But what should I do, if someone had mistaken my name as (Abc) instead of (Abc Def)? Is there a way I can let (UCAS) that my full name is (Abc Def) with a space???
Hey, thank you! I know what you mean, I do not have any problems with my surname, its just my forename that causing me to have some problems? But, LOL! I need help. Okay, I get that i MUST write EXACTLY how it is on my Passport, birth certificate etc... But what should I do, if someone had mistaken my name as (Abc) instead of (Abc Def)? Is there a way I can let (UCAS) that my full name is (Abc Def) with a space???

Yes, you write Abc Def with a space in the first name section. That is what they use as your first name in correspondence. It's why they have separate boxes for first name, middle names, and surnames, to avoid such problems.
Yes, you write Abc Def with a space in the first name section. That is what they use as your first name in correspondence. It's why they have separate boxes for first name, middle names, and surnames, to avoid such problems.

Okay, so the first name section I write is "Abc Def" (Including the space), and from there on, even with the space included (Abc Def) it will ALWAYS read as my First Name?
Okay, so the first name section I write is "Abc Def" (Including the space), and from there on, even with the space included (Abc Def) it will ALWAYS read as my First Name?

Yes.
Yes.

Thank You, I'm still kind of scared. On the UCAS register site: It had said "First/Given names" does that mean I spell it like (Abc Def)? And does this also mean that when other people are signing up, and they do not have a space on their first name, they will just enter their first name?
Thank You, I'm still kind of scared. On the UCAS register site: It had said "First/Given names" does that mean I spell it like (Abc Def)? And does this also mean that when other people are signing up, and they do not have a space on their first name, they will just enter their first name?

Yes.
Yes.

Thank You! :smile: You have reassured me well! I guess I will be signing up for UCAS with confidence! :smile: "gomabseubnida ~~ :h:
Thank You! :smile: You have reassured me well! I guess I will be signing up for UCAS with confidence! :smile: "gomabseubnida ~~ :h:

You might also want to get your exam certificates corrected, as they are legally not under your name, as they don't have the space in your given name
You might also want to get your exam certificates corrected, as they are legally not under your name, as they don't have the space in your given name

I will do! Thank You! :P
Reply 13

Don't be silly; names are meaningless. Anyone with a brain can see they belong to the OP. You can't get a certificate "corrected", anyway.

I will do! Thank You! :P

Begs the question why does your passport have your name formatted differently to how you use your name? Sign a statutory declaration and update your passport if you prefer it without a space.
Original post by IWMTom
Don't be silly; names are meaningless. Anyone with a brain can see they belong to the OP. You can't get a certificate "corrected", anyway.

Begs the question why does your passport have your name formatted differently to how you use your name? Sign a statutory declaration and update your passport if you prefer it without a space.

Long story short, its because I'm a East-Asian, so my family tend to spell my name like this. I know it's weird, but born and raised in a Western country I know that many of you guys can misunderstood my name, as you guys probably think that the second half of my full name is my middle name. I told my mum and dad about this Statutory Declaration, and they told me it's too much of an hassle, although I did think that I will do it after finishing Uni? By the way, after this Statutory Declaration form thing, my name will change to the way i would want to spell it in my Passport, but it doesn't apply to my other legal documents like my Birth Certificate? Thank You! :smile:
Reply 15
Long story short, its because I'm a East-Asian, so my family tend to spell my name like this. I know it's weird, but born and raised in a Western country I know that many of you guys can misunderstood my name, as you guys probably think that the second half of my full name is my middle name. I told my mum and dad about this Statutory Declaration, and they told me it's too much of an hassle, although I did think that I will do it after finishing Uni? By the way, after this Statutory Declaration form thing, my name will change to the way i would want to spell it in my Passport, but it doesn't apply to my other legal documents like my Birth Certificate? Thank You! :smile:

A statutory declaration is no hassle at all, you just print out a few lines of text which basically says you will not use your old name, and will only use the new one, sign and date it, then have two of your mates witness it. Job done.

Then, you can just send a copy off to the passport office, DVLA, your bank, etc etc. It's easier to make a few declarations rather than one, as photocopies aren't generally allowed.

Your birth certificate doesn't get updated, but when anyone asks for your birth certificate, you produce it along with the statutory declaration - this is the same as producing a marriage certificate after your name has changed through marriage.

You don't need to visit a solicitor, all you need is a printer, some friends, and perhaps the fee to get a new passport with the updated name - that's all there is to it, really.
Original post by IWMTom
A statutory declaration is no hassle at all, you just print out a few lines of text which basically says you will not use your old name, and will only use the new one, sign and date it, then have two of your mates witness it. Job done.

Then, you can just send a copy off to the passport office, DVLA, your bank, etc etc. It's easier to make a few declarations rather than one, as photocopies aren't generally allowed.

Your birth certificate doesn't get updated, but when anyone asks for your birth certificate, you produce it along with the statutory declaration - this is the same as producing a marriage certificate after your name has changed through marriage.

You don't need to visit a solicitor, all you need is a printer, some friends, and perhaps the fee to get a new passport with the updated name - that's all there is to it, really.

Hey, thanks! I will try and get this sorted ASAP. But i know my mum and dad won't really allow me, until I'm out of Uni. Or in the middle of Uni, since I (Fingers-Cross) will have my independence to do this. Right now, its the real problem with signing up with UCAS with my weird name....
Reply 17
Hey, thanks! I will try and get this sorted ASAP. But i know my mum and dad won't really allow me, until I'm out of Uni. Or in the middle of Uni, since I (Fingers-Cross) will have my independence to do this. Right now, its the real problem with signing up with UCAS with my weird name....

They have no say in the matter - if you're 18, it's up to you. Personally, I'd use the name you prefer - it's such a minor discrepancy that no one would care anyway - it's formatting rather than spelling.

Hey, sorry to bother you again. But I don't think that when I sign up for UCAS it will give me 3 different correspondence boxes for my first, middle and last name. As the UCAS 2018 apply site, has only asked me to give "First/given name(s)", which probably is stating for my first name which is (Abc Def). However, when it states "Given Name(S)" with an "(s)" it's asking for my middle name too. But in my case, i do not have a middle name and they probably going to assume that (Def) is my middle name, due to the space between my full name. However, I'm not sure if there will be 3 different boxes for me to edit after I have fully register with UCAS?

I did told my brother about this situation, since he is also going through the same name problem as me (Because he also has a space in the middle of his full name too "Ab Defg"), he told me not to worry about it too much. Because when he signed up in UCAS exactly the way it is spelt in his Passport (With a space in the middle of his full name), UCAS has sent him Emails by calling him "Ab", instead of "Ab Defg". He told me that it is like that, due to space between our full name, and that you can change it, if you have made it into to Uni, and on your first day of your course, where you will be given your "Leaners Agreement" they will asked you to check your personal details and ensure that they are fully correct, he told me that in that first day, you can tell your course teacher or someone to help you edited you name out, instead of them stating (Abc) it should be (Abc Def) instead? I'm not sure if this is correct? But, I need some reassurance?
Original post by IWMTom
They have no say in the matter - if you're 18, it's up to you. Personally, I'd use the name you prefer - it's such a minor discrepancy that no one would care anyway - it's formatting rather than spelling.

Hey, thank you! :smile: I'm only 17! I will be 18 next year. I do get what you mean! It isn't EVEN a BIGGIE anyways? Since it isn't the spelling that i'm changing, it's only the space. But, you know? You've got to follow the rules. Because I do not want to catch as being fraud. As much I would like using my full name without a space, I've just go to live with it for now? However?? Do you think i will be catch fraud if i spell my name without a space?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending