The Student Room Group

A levels choices for oxbridge law

Are my following a level choices good enough to study law at oxford or Cambridge?
History
English language
Maths
Physics
Further mathematics

I had the opportunity to take an extra a level in school, I took it to cover up my average gcse results compared to other applicants (5A* 5A)

Thanks!
Reply 1
Don't do so many. It is unnecessary and you are better off getting A*A*A than AAAAA. Choose History, Maths and one or 2 others.
Reply 2
Your options are fine, yeah those extra A level will make it up
Original post by Dalpanth
Are my following a level choices good enough to study law at oxford or Cambridge?
History
English language
Maths
Physics
Further mathematics

I had the opportunity to take an extra a level in school, I took it to cover up my average gcse results compared to other applicants (5A* 5A)

Pick the four 'A' levels that interest you most. The fifth one will not be an advantage and risks results in the other four.

Three is all that is required, so four isn't really necessary either, but Maths+FM+Physics go quite well together for people that have a feel for Physics IMO.
Original post by The RAR
Your options are fine, yeah those extra A level will make it up

What are you basing that on?
Reply 5
Original post by RogerOxon
What are you basing that on?

Universities like seeing people doing extra A levels which shows they can handle lots of work
Original post by The RAR
Universities like seeing people doing extra A levels which shows they can handle lots of work

From the horse's mouth:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/faqs-level-reform?wssl=1

4. Is the fourth subject to AS-level still a requirement?

A fourth subject to AS-level has never been a requirement at Oxford. Our courses require students to have not less than three A-levels, or other equivalent qualifications. Some candidates do take additional AS-levels, A-levels, or other qualifications such as the EPQ. Additional qualifications can be one way of demonstrating the academic abilities that will be required for the intense studying of an Oxford degree but they are not essential. Students can also demonstrate their abilities by exploring their subject beyond what is expected by their exam syllabus. Oxford tutors may prefer a candidate who has read around their subject beyond school and college work, and who shows a great passion for, and engagement with, their subject, over a candidate who may have taken more qualifications or more subjects, but who is unable to discuss their interests with any enthusiasm or in any depth.

7. My school just can’t afford to put students in for more than three A-levels. Will they automatically be at a disadvantage to those students who can still take four or five?

Our courses require students to have not less than three A-levels, or other equivalent qualifications. Many candidates do take additional AS-levels, A-levels, or other qualifications such as the EPQ. These additional qualifications can be one way of demonstrating the academic abilities that will be required for the intense studying of an Oxford degree but they are not essential. If a candidate is capable of taking more than three A-levels, but this is not possible at their school or college, we encourage the candidate’s referee to include this information in the candidate’s reference. Students can also demonstrate their abilities by exploring their subject beyond what is expected by their exam syllabus. Oxford tutors may prefer a candidate who has read around their subject beyond school and college work, and who shows a great passion for, and engagement with, their subject, over a candidate who may have taken more qualifications or more subjects, but who is unable to discuss their interests with any enthusiasm or in any depth.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
That's actually rubbish, and you have no evidence for it. Oxbridge ATs have consistently advised in their many threads that it's better to do three A levels outstandingly than four excellently. Or, to put it another way, A*A*A is significantly better than A*AAA

Thanks for that - I was going to link an Ask a Cambridge AT one :lol:

Really? Oh someone here in TSR told me that and it sounded sensible to me, I didn't know that doing more than 3 A levels was just a waste, thought it was the opposite which would be very rewarding.

Quick Reply

Latest