The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
Yes - they can reclaim 92% of the SMP back (or 103% for small businesses). Acting like paying 8% of someone's pay for 6 months is going to bankrupt you when you're retaining a trained member of staff is ridiculous. If you didn't pay SMP then you'd STILL have to cover the recruitment and training costs. Still no reason to illegally ask questions about someone's plans for a family or to discriminate against women (especially now shared parental leave is a legal requirement so fathers can take months off too)

For additional benefits above the SMP minimums it's perfectly legal to have a minimum time for eligibility and a minimum time after returning within a contract. That's something an employer CHOOSES to offer and that they can reclaim if (as the person I replied to implied) people were choosing not to return from maternity leave.

Right... so instead of not having someone go on maternity leave....

You now have to pay 8% of someones wage, another person to replace them and also experience low productivity while they A) Train the replacement and B)When the individual returns after work. Wow really giving employers encouragement there aren't you!

And if you get additional benefits, why shouldn't a company ask you repay it if you do a runner?

I'm not against maternity pay, just think there should be bigger safeguards for employers and probably increase the minimum time to be eligible for maternity pay to something like 18 months or two years.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Your so mean to yourself. 😅

Spoiler

Original post by qasim_96

Spoiler

I had that meme last week but different. 😂😂😂

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4841290&page=4

Post #71
I had that meme last week but different. 😂😂😂

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4841290&page=4

Post #71

You smart. You loyal. You grapefruit. He's a meme now 😂
You smart. You loyal. You grapefruit. He's a meme now 😂

😂😂😂
Not into memes though, more YouTube.
Original post by DanB1991
Right... so instead of not having someone go on maternity leave....

You now have to pay 8% of someones wage, another person to replace them and also experience low productivity while they A) Train the replacement and B)When the individual returns after work. Wow really giving employers encouragement there aren't you!

And if you get additional benefits, why shouldn't a company ask you repay it if you do a runner?

I'm not against maternity pay, just think there should be bigger safeguards for employers and probably increase the minimum time to be eligible for maternity pay to something like 18 months or two years.

FFS

Just read the post I was REPLYING to that stated that employers "foot the cost" of maternity and that women would work in a job for 3 months, go on maternity and never come back and that the empliyer would "foot the bill".

Mansplain maternity leave to the man who doesn't understand it not to the woman who corrected him :rolleyes:

You really think paying an employee £11.28 a week for their maternity leave in order to retain a trained employee is a disincentive to employers (or for small employers actually get PAID £4,23 a week to retain them).
Original post by Summer15
Generally just living in a society where female rape, assault, and murder are still common

paid less than your male colleagues

Overdoing it a bit
😂😂😂
Not into memes though, more YouTube.

You're missing out on some banter 😂😂
You're missing out on some banter 😂😂

I guess so, but YouTube fills it up for me.
Original post by That'sGreat
Overdoing it a bit

"19.6 per cent of females had been a victim of a sexual offence since the age of 16, compared with 2.7 per cent of males (Table 2.6)"
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/214970/sexual-offending-overview-jan-2013.pdf
Page 18

Know 5 women? Chances are 1 of them has been raped or sexually assaulted in adulthood.
Original post by PQ
"19.6 per cent of females had been a victim of a sexual offence since the age of 16, compared with 2.7 per cent of males (Table 2.6)"
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/214970/sexual-offending-overview-jan-2013.pdf
Page 18

Know 5 women? Chances are 1 of them has been raped or sexually assaulted in adulthood.

I was referring to murder being common.

On top of that, do those figures include rape in the army and prisons which are often unreported. On top of that, I doubt many men will come forward if raped due to the stigma around it.

Not everything is so black and white
Another disadvantage of being a girl which I forgot ... is fighting like a girl
I have too much feelings sadly.
when u get all glammed up for a night out n meet your friends on the train but u gotta walk to the train first in ur skirt n heels n boobs looking goOOod but you're extremely self conscious of how "sluttty" you look. I feel like it was my fault walking past a bar with men outside (plenty w wedding rings on) who kept wolf whisteling n calling out- jfc cat-calling isn't manly in the slightest, it just makes you look utterly pathetic.
Oh boy... literally me right now:

- Periods
- Childbirth
- Gender pay gap (though I think that is slowly changing?)
- Having to be careful walking the streets at night alone (or even with other female friends)
- Women are seen as being weaker than men

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think off the top of my head :^_^:
Original post by That'sGreat
I was referring to murder being common.

On top of that, do those figures include rape in the army and prisons which are often unreported. On top of that, I doubt many men will come forward if raped due to the stigma around it.

Not everything is so black and white

Those statistics are based on the CSEW - a survey of a statistically stratified sample of people who are asked to confidentially (the sexual assault section is filled in by respondents directly and not by the interviewer) to disclose their experiences of crime.

So yes those figures would include prisoners and military men who may not have reported their assaults.
Mind if I create the same thread but for boys?
Original post by Throwaway740
Mind if I create the same thread but for boys?

The OP did (well they created it for "Men" )
Original post by PQ
FFS

Just read the post I was REPLYING to that stated that employers "foot the cost" of maternity and that women would work in a job for 3 months, go on maternity and never come back and that the employer would "foot the bill".

Mansplain maternity leave to the man who doesn't understand it not to the woman who corrected him :rolleyes:

You really think paying an employee £11.28 a week for their maternity leave in order to retain a trained employee is a disincentive to employers (or for small employers actually get PAID £4,23 a week to retain them).

Because my gender is completely relevant to the conversation....

What I think is the fact an employee can go on maternity leave, be paid by both the state (bad enough) and partially by employer, who then has to effectively foot that cost by having to hire a new employee to cover them. By the time the woman comes back to work that temporary replacement may even be more experienced or spent more time in the job than the original employee!

Nobody cares about women going on maternity leave when the woman involved has actually spent a decent amount of time at the company and shown their intention to stay.
Being told you can't do certain things because you're a girl, have it hammered into you during school that a career should come first but then when you start a career everyone tells you to have kids, ****boys

Latest