The Student Room Group

A level Maths

I'm a bit confused . So am I the first year (starting a level maths edexcel this September) to do the new spec. Furthermore , I am also confused at the modules what is S1 , C2 and how many modules are there? I looked at the specification but still confused. Thanks
yes u r doing new spec
i think u have same modules as before...
c1,c2 and you get a choice with stats or mechanics..
new spec is some things from syllabus have been taken out and some re juggled around.
Original post by sulaimanali
i think u have same modules as before...
c1,c2 and you get a choice with stats or mechanics..
new spec is some things from syllabus have been taken out and some re juggled around.

So I get to choose not to do statistics ? Omg I'm so happy I'm rubbish at it.
Thanks
i think so..unless that's only my school's policy and choice.
Reply 5
Modules like C1, C2 and S1 are old spec and so you can ignore them.
Original post by Compost
Modules like C1, C2 and S1 are old spec and so you can ignore them.

So what are the modules for 2017?
If you're doing Edexcel, you get 3 papers.

You get 2 pure papers (which are similar to C1-C4 atm) and a Statistics & Mechanics paper (S1 and M1 in the current spec tied together).

Before it was assessed on a modular basis, so everyone would do C1/C2 in AS, C3/C4 in A2 and of S1, M1 and D1 they'd do one of these in addition to core maths each year (typical was S1 Y12, M1 Y13, but some colleges did D1 instead of S1).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ParisOMg
I'm a bit confused . So am I the first year (starting a level maths edexcel this September) to do the new spec. Furthermore , I am also confused at the modules what is S1 , C2 and how many modules are there? I looked at the specification but still confused. Thanks

There is a guide to the new A Level maths here that you may find useful. There are no modules anymore as others have said.
Reply 9
Original post by Coolerthanapples
If you're doing Edexcel, you get 3 papers.

You get 2 pure papers (which are similar to C1-C4 atm) and a Statistics & Mechanics paper (S1 and M1 in the current spec tied together).

Before it was assessed on a modular basis, so everyone would do C1/C2 in AS, C3/C4 in A2 and of S1, M1 and D1 they'd do one of these in addition to core maths each year (typical was S1 Y12, M1 Y13, but some colleges did D1 instead of S1).

One small correction: Statistics and Mechanics will be made up of topics from S1, S2, M1 and M2.
Original post by Notnek
One small correction: Statistics and Mechanics will be made up of topics from S1, S2, M1 and M2.

My bad.

To be fair I think this is quite reasonable. There's actually not that much content covered in Year 12, although I'm a bit biased for M1 because I do physics so a huge chunk of M1 is covered in Year 12 for me. Because there's not a huge amount of content, people do a lot of revision for each topic and are able to push the syllabus to its limits, meaning that the exam board had to put grade boundaries high or make very hard questions. The same percentage of people get each grade anyway, so learning more content is good.
Reply 11
Original post by Coolerthanapples
My bad.

To be fair I think this is quite reasonable. There's actually not that much content covered in Year 12, although I'm a bit biased for M1 because I do physics so a huge chunk of M1 is covered in Year 12 for me. Because there's not a huge amount of content, people do a lot of revision for each topic and are able to push the syllabus to its limits, meaning that the exam board had to put grade boundaries high or make very hard questions. The same percentage of people get each grade anyway, so learning more content is good.

It's not actually the whole of M1, M2, S1 and S2, just certain parts taken from all of them to form the Mechanics and Statistics spec. There will be a similar amount of applied maths in the new A Level compared to how much there was in the old A Level i.e. two applied modules.
Original post by Notnek
It's not actually the whole of M1, M2, S1 and S2, just certain parts taken from all of them to form the Mechanics and Statistics spec. There will be a similar amount of applied maths in the new A Level compared to how much there was in the old A Level i.e. two applied modules.

Another question. If I do A level maths Edexcel do I take it in year 13 , right?
Reply 13
Original post by ParisOMg
Another question. If I do A level maths Edexcel do I take it in year 13 , right?

If you are just doing maths (and not further maths) then you will learn all the content over two years and take the A Level exams at the end of Year 13.

If you are also taking further maths then some students will do the maths exams in Y12 and the further maths exams in Y13 while others will take all exams in Y13.
Original post by Notnek
If you are just doing maths (and not further maths) then you will learn all the content over two years and take the A Level exams at the end of Year 13.

If you are also taking further maths then some students will do the maths exams in Y12 and the further maths exams in Y13 while others will take all exams in Y13.

Thank you!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest