The Student Room Group

As a Muslim I feel we have not contributed anything positive to the world

Scroll to see replies

Lol I dont see you contributing anything apart from whinging about it.
You guys have given the world something to direct all their angry at, thats something I guess.
Original post by TheBBQ
Also this is not true. There a large amount of Indian scientists and engineers all over the world. Particularly in NASA and Intel.

Indian =/= Hindu. Whoops.
Reply 23
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Indian =/= Hindu. Whoops.

Hindus or those of Hindu backgrounds are mostly Indians, it's a pretty reasonable assumption.
LMAO what did I just read? Islam does not say spread hate or kill people. FGM is not condoned by Islam at all? So what are you speaking about? FGM is done because of the norm in society not for religious purposes. Just because some Muslims are doing it doesn't mean that it is because of Islam LOOOOL. Yeah, I do agree with the honour killings part, because I have seen alot of it going on but then again it's the same thing, it's the social norm that is going on with asians. Islam does not say go kill your daughter if she wants to marry someone of her choice LOL!. Women are treated like second class citizens everywhere not only Muslims experience this issue of the inequalities within gender.
I don't agree that muslims haven't contributed anything positive but as I'm too lazy to type I'll just say that if you care so much about muslims contributing positively to the world then why don't you go out and make an impact yourself. Really, its more beneficial to use your perceived notion of muslims having been basically useless to world as incentive to go out and do something rather then just complaining about it.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

From the bottom of my heart, that is ****ing amazing given everything.
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Op you are a self-hating guy. Don't drag 1.7 BILLION people with you. Why must you judge a religions achievements by how many inventions they have had?...it all comes down to the person...
Around me i see so many Muslim doctors, surgeons, dentists, lawyers. engineers, businessmen and many others. It's you who chooses to look at all the negative aspects and forget that there are many intelligent Muslims in the world. And fyi FGM and Honour killings are forbidden in Islam, that has more to do with culture.

They are doctors, surgeons, dentists, lawyers. engineers, businessmen and many others despite their religion, not because of it.

There is nothing positive whatsoever about following an ideology that was written over a millennia ago (over 2 in Christianity's case even).
Original post by Anonymous
Particularly in recent times. It's truly disheartening. All I see is negativity everywhere. Terrorism, groups like ISIS, al Qaeda, taliban etc, misogyny, poverty, weakness in military, backwardness, lack of education, honour killings, FGM, treating women as second class citizens, no prosperity or progress. We keep talking about being peaceful yet we kill each other every single day. Different sects of Muslims despise eachother and we expect ourselves to get on with non Muslims and for them to like us? To add to that, south Asian Muslims in Arab countries are treated like filth.

We have no innovation, inventions, ideas, creativity and have made no real contribution to the world technologically or scientifically even politically in a long long time. Some may argue same could be said of Hindus etc. But Hindus are mostly concentrated into one country. And in the West, at least they have a great image and seen as much more positively.

The only nice Muslim countries are the ones that got lucky sat on oil. Even then , we needed the West help to extract oil. It's depressing to say the least.

Yet we sit back and tell the world how great and amazing Muslims are and expect to be taken seriously.

How dare you !! The world is a cruel place and every person with goodness in their hearts and every religion and religious people are working the ass off to make it a decent civilised place for everyone and all you can do it make some silly negative comment of all the Muslims that are working day and night ! That's absolutely disgusting. Probably it's YOU that needs to get off your ass and contribute instead of making ridiculous threads about things you don't know about. God bless you and guide 😇
Original post by yudothis
They are doctors, surgeons, dentists, lawyers. engineers, businessmen and many others despite their religion, not because of it.

There is nothing positive whatsoever about following an ideology that was written over a millennia ago (over 2 in Christianity's case even).

No no no, when it comes to Islam, OP made it sound like all Muslims are uneducated, so i just corrected him.
That's the thing, when people judge you, they judge you on your religion, so it does have a lot to do with it actually. and fyi Islam does encourage people to be educated. i am not here to argue what religion says, i am just here to defend the fact that there are millions and millions of educated Muslims, just like Christians or any other religious group. And it shouldn't have anything to do with religion in the first place, you should be judged individually on your actions, but people don't really follow that principle.
That's your opinion, not a fact. People have the right to follow whatever religion they want. Who are you to say that their religion has nothing 'positive'? You only say that cause you just look at the negative aspects of each religion and not the many positive contributions.
Original post by zaraiqbal18
LMAO what did I just read? Islam does not say spread hate or kill people. FGM is not condoned by Islam at all? So what are you speaking about? FGM is done because of the norm in society not for religious purposes. Just because some Muslims are doing it doesn't mean that it is because of Islam LOOOOL. Yeah, I do agree with the honour killings part, because I have seen alot of it going on but then again it's the same thing, it's the social norm that is going on with asians. Islam does not say go kill your daughter if she wants to marry someone of her choice LOL!. Women are treated like second class citizens everywhere not only Muslims experience this issue of the inequalities within gender.

Yes it does.
Original post by Fermion.
Yes it does.

Okay, surely in the Quran is does or may say so but have you looked into the context and history of the verses of the Quran
LOOOOOOOOL you expect us to believe you're a muslim?!?!:laugh::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Who are you kidding? This trolls really trying to pretend to be muslim so they're not labelled as an islamophobe, I can see right through you. How low can people get. Muslims do make positive contributions, I study pharmacy and have many muslims on my course who will all be future pharmacists and help treat people. Some of my closest friends are muslims and one is a nurse and another is studying to be a doctor. Most of my muslim friends are in healthcare and will work for the NHS or are working for the NHS
I feel like we have but it was a very long time ago. You know what bothers me, if a muslim is modest then they're seen as backwards. If a non muslim does it then they are respected. That's just one of the things that bother me.

But I wish more Muslims would contribute to the film industry in some way. The only thing you ever see to do with Muslims is terrorism or forced marriages- or the odd doctor/nurse.
Biatch we only slowed down after the fall of the ottoman empire. Before that we were leaders in technology.
Im just here to twerk
Reply 36
Particularly in recent times. It's truly disheartening. All I see is negativity everywhere. Terrorism, groups like ISIS, al Qaeda, taliban etc, misogyny, poverty, weakness in military, backwardness, lack of education, honour killings, FGM, treating women as second class citizens, no prosperity or progress. We keep talking about being peaceful yet we kill each other every single day. Different sects of Muslims despise eachother and we expect ourselves to get on with non Muslims and for them to like us? To add to that, south Asian Muslims in Arab countries are treated like filth.

We have no innovation, inventions, ideas, creativity and have made no real contribution to the world technologically or scientifically even politically in a long long time. Some may argue same could be said of Hindus etc. But Hindus are mostly concentrated into one country. And in the West, at least they have a great image and seen as much more positively.

The only nice Muslim countries are the ones that got lucky sat on oil. Even then , we needed the West help to extract oil. It's depressing to say the least.

Yet we sit back and tell the world how great and amazing Muslims are and expect to be taken seriously.

This is really sad to read and also not true at all. As someone who doesn't identify with any particular religion, I look at them all the same way - as part of a person's identity, rather than something to judge them on. I've met Muslims I really disliked. I also have several close Muslim friends. I can say the same about Christians, Jews, and Hindus. Like people of any other faith, Muslims have contributed amazing things to the world (e.g. Malala Yousafzai) and terrible things (Osama bin Laden). Of course there are things wrong with the Muslim world, but it's also very, very wrong to lump all Muslims under the umbrella of backwardness. Everyone is responsible for themselves, and only themselves - the actions of one group of Muslims says nothing about the rest.
OP when off anon:

Anyway seeing as all of modern mathematics (and hence, modern engineering and science) is underpinned by work done by Arabic and frequently Islamic scholars I think it's a moot point.
Reply 38
There's so many people pretending to be Muslims on this site on anon, it's quite pathetic. Even if you are Muslim which you're most probably not, you can only speak for yourself; there are countless Muslim scientists, doctors, engineers, architects, software creators and way more in the UK alone let alone other countries that are innovating new ideas that shape our future. You're just a spineless fool, Muslim or not.
Reply 39

are you kidding? arabs were the world leaders in maths and medicine! watch "science and islam", a 3 part BBC documentary.

anyway, you are you.. you are not responsible for the actions of others, good or bad. just like i, as a white person, am not responsible for isaac newton's work nor the slave trade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending