The Student Room Group

Jealous and bitter of people who have passed medical school

I feel very jealous and bitter of friends who have passed medical school, I've failed my finals and I feel horrendous.

:-(
So sorry to hear this. I can imagine how jealous and bitter that must make you feel; it's perfectly understandable. What happens next? Can you re-take them , or is it all over for you becoming a doctor now?
Reply 2
No i have one last shot at it. My confidence and self-esteem have been knocked for six!! Have to do the whole year again!

Original post by markova21
So sorry to hear this. I can imagine how jealous and bitter that must make you feel; it's perfectly understandable. What happens next? Can you re-take them , or is it all over for you becoming a doctor now?
Oh no. I would imagine, with it being Medicine, that you cannot take a year out as well. Would I be right in thinking that you have to continuously study each year progressively with no breaks?
Reply 4
No this year i can opt to defer if i had say personal/financial reasons to do so.

Oh no. I would imagine, with it being Medicine, that you cannot take a year out as well. Would I be right in thinking that you have to continuously study each year progressively with no breaks?
Original post by Anonymous
No this year i can opt to defer if i had say personal/financial reasons to do so.

Is that something you might be able to persue then?
Reply 6
Is that something you might be able to persue then?

Yes it is!
Yes it is!

Well the very best of luck to you !
which med school you at?
Dunno why I always imagined everyone passed medical school exams with flying colours. Wow.

Like do people actually get a 2.2 or 3rd or even just a pass for their overall medical degree classification? Strange... it's an actual subject not a practice in nepotism.
OP, you'd probably be surprised at how many people have had to repeat years etc at medical school. Obviously it's not a majority, but there are perhaps more people than you'd think.

I assume you can repeat the exams/repeat the year?

Original post by Little Popcorns
Dunno why I always imagined everyone passed medical school exams with flying colours. Wow.

Like do people actually get a 2.2 or 3rd or even just a pass for their overall medical degree classification? Strange... it's an actual subject not a practice in nepotism.

It would pretty much be statistically impossible for everyone to pass with flying colours... Medical school exams produce a normal distribution, as exams always do.

Medical finals tend to be Pass/Fail, with perhaps a small minority getting a Merit/Distinction.
OP, you'd probably be surprised at how many people have had to repeat years etc at medical school. Obviously it's not a majority, but there are perhaps more people than you'd think.

I assume you can repeat the exams/repeat the year?

It would pretty much be statistically impossible for everyone to pass with flying colours... Medical school exams produce a normal distribution, as exams always do.

Medical finals tend to be Pass/Fail, with perhaps a small minority getting a Merit/Distinction.

Interesting. But you can practice as a 'Doctor' of whatever kind with at least a pass can't you?
Original post by Little Popcorns
Interesting. But you can practice as a 'Doctor' of whatever kind with at least a pass can't you?

Its a common medical joke:

'What do you call the person who passed with the lowest mark in their whole year'
'Doctor'.

Its of note that some of the most important skills - like knowing when you are out of your depth and needing to ask for help, or being able to effectively look up something you don't know - are not tested in medical exams. It is something that needs to change urgently imo.
Original post by nexttime
Its a common medical joke:

'What do you call the person who passed with the lowest mark in their whole year'
'Doctor'.

Its of note that some of the most important skills - like knowing when you are out of your depth and needing to ask for help, or being able to effectively look up something you don't know - are not tested in medical exams. It is something that needs to change urgently imo.
:tongue:

Seriously... A lot of professions where there is a duty of care are a bit like that. Like fair enough academia wants to be an area of work in it's own right but it'll only benefit from adding more of the professional skills to the syllabus of these courses. It's a shame because the solution really is that simple.
I understand how you feel: my two cousins in Denmark have finished Medicine and are now practicing doctors, whereas I have only gained a BA in the United Kingdom. Thankfully enough, I have secured a good graduate scheme.

You should feel proud of yourself that you have tried, and the fact that you went to medical school for so many years can be put on a CV and give you en edge in other jobs.
What you can say you went to a medical school on a cv and say you didn't finish?

Original post by Authoritarian
I understand how you feel: my two cousins in Denmark have finished Medicine and are now practicing doctors, whereas I have only gained a BA in the United Kingdom. Thankfully enough, I have secured a good graduate scheme.

You should feel proud of yourself that you have tried, and the fact that you went to medical school for so many years can be put on a CV and give you en edge in other jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest