The Student Room Group

Car insurance renewal cost without a black box

Hi,

I'm looking to insure my car, and obviously as a new driver I'm faced with the dilemma of having a black box or not.

Essentially I was wondering what the renewal costs were like for any young drivers who haven't had a black box in their first year? So was there a significant drop?

I only ask as with a box it claims to reduce it by a third when renewing.

- Additional info

I'm looking at £1150 with a box, or £1800 without - and I'm happy to pay for it without a box if there is a also a reasonable drop in price when renewing/getting a new policy for a second year.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com

confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grad17em
Hi,

I'm looking to insure my car, and obviously as a new driver I'm faced with the dilemma of having a black box or not.

Essentially I was wondering what the renewal costs were like for any young drivers who haven't had a black box in their first year? So was there a significant drop?

- Additional info

I'm looking at £1150 with a box, or £1800 without - and I'm happy to pay for it without a box if there is a also a reasonable drop in price when renewing/getting a new policy for a second year.

Hey there!

This thread should be in Cars and motoring. No worries though, I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved for you :h:

These are very similar quote to what I got, and I went without black box because black boxes are just a massive scam! As @IWMTom will also tell you :biggrin:
Reply 2
Hi,

- Additional info

Avoid black boxes at all costs.

See this thread for helpful advice: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4825738
Avoid black box at all cost like others have said, they fine you left right and centre for minor (and sometimes made up) offenses.

If you've tried the usual thing of doing quotes over and over again with minor differences such as parking location, adding named drivers (usually parents), varying mileage by a few k (which isn't dubious as its only an estimate anyway) etc etc...

As for renewal, you will always get quoted a ridiculous amount to stay with your provider, its generally cheaper to do price comparison quotes every year, if your current provider is the cheapest then you just need to ring them up with the link to the online quote and they will override the renewal price with the quote you got, the renewal price is basically a con for people that don't check these things and let it automatically renew.
Reply 4
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Hey there!

This thread should be in Cars and motoring. No worries though, I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved for you :h:

These are very similar quote to what I got, and I went without black box because black boxes are just a massive scam! As @IWMTom will also tell you :biggrin:

Ah, thank you! Thought it was in the wrong section after I'd posted.

And I called the insurers up to purchase the£1900 policy without a box for them to put it up to £3500 over the phone. -Absolute joke!

It did make me consider the black box once again though, especially as the next best offers without a box were £2500+. However after a couple more searches I've found one for £2180 but I need a dash cam (which I was probably going to get anyway)

Thanks for everyone's advice though!

And I called the insurers up to purchase the£1900 policy without a box for them to put it up to £3500 over the phone. -Absolute joke!

It did make me consider the black box once again though, especially as the next best offers without a box were £2500+. However after a couple more searches I've found one for £2180 but I need a dash cam (which I was probably going to get anyway)

No worries :h:

With some insurers they do offer a discount if you complete the insurance quote online, and then just forward that quote reference to them.

Do use insurers websites directly instead of comparison sites as well.
Reply 6
Original post by RoyalSheepy
No worries :h:

With some insurers they do offer a discount if you complete the insurance quote online, and then just forward that quote reference to them.

Do use insurers websites directly instead of comparison sites as well.

I have been doing, more times than not it's more expensive, or if it is cheaper it doesn't incorporate the legal and breakdown cover, so still works out more in the end.

The only one that has worked out better than the comparisons is swiftcover and after tweaking a few details I found there was a significant decrease when adding a dash cam, specifically a nextbase one. So I'll probably stick with that.

I didn't know about it being cheaper if it's processed online so I'll definitely see if that can happen! Thanks for the help!! :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)

You shouldn't need to ring anyone and if you find a cheaper quote with them online then they usually honor that quote, do another quote until you get a reasonable one, then just book it completely online without calling them.

I've had two years car insurance so far and have never had to speak to anyone (except from enquiring about the renewal quote I got after the first year, even then they advised I cancel the current insurance and rebook as customer direct on site).
(edited 6 years ago)
Try Admiral LittleBox. I have had absolutely no problems with them and have had the black box for two policies now! And yes I constantly speed up to 6/7mph above the limit and have never had any "extra charges" that some of the other comments mention. They also give you an online login and rate your driving from gold to bronze, and I've been a consistent silver. Also I did unfortunately have an accident last year and had to claim, and had no issues with that either.
Reply 9
Original post by loooopppyyy
You shouldn't need to ring anyone and if you find a cheaper quote with them online then they usually honor that quote, do another quote until you get a reasonable one, then just book it completely online without calling them.

I've had two years car insurance so far and have never had to speak to anyone (except from enquiring about the renewal quote I got after the first year, even then they advised I cancel the current insurance and rebook as customer direct on site).

Were your two years both without a box? ∆∆as from your earlier post saying to avoid a box I'd assume you've had a bad experience maybe??

If so did the policy decrease by much after the first year?

And yes I'm going to try and book everything online, especially when ringing them can become so tedious aha!
Reply 10
Original post by carrotstar
Try Admiral LittleBox. I have had absolutely no problems with them and have had the black box for two policies now! And yes I constantly speed up to 6/7mph above the limit and have never had any "extra charges" that some of the other comments mention. They also give you an online login and rate your driving from gold to bronze, and I've been a consistent silver. Also I did unfortunately have an accident last year and had to claim, and had no issues with that either.

My initial quote without a box was through admiral, and since they put it up over the phone by such a drastic ammount has put me off. Especially when their staff seemed to make it sound like it's my fault, so I'd rather just avoid them on the principal that they don't actually listen to the customer.

Also, I hear mixed reviews with boxes, mostly bad. And my main reason for not wanting one is that I'd feel more unsafe driving by constantly checking my speed than looking out the window.
Were your two years both without a box? ∆∆as from your earlier post saying to avoid a box I'd assume you've had a bad experience maybe??

If so did the policy decrease by much after the first year?

And yes I'm going to try and book everything online, especially when ringing them can become so tedious aha!

I was 30 when I got my driving license so it was rather cheaper for me, I've just heard bad things from others about black boxes, £500 for both years as I was involved in a sidewipe and the other person involved was an ass that wouldn't accept a reasonable compromise. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by loooopppyyy
I was 30 when I got my driving license so it was rather cheaper for me, I've just heard bad things from others about black boxes, £500 for both years as I was involved in a sidewipe and the other person involved was an ass that wouldn't accept a reasonable compromise. :smile:

Ah fair enough!

And there are definitely plenty of poor reviews, especially when it can affect the following year if you have needed to claim or have had the initial policy cancelled if you are perceived as a bad driver through the box. - as your no claims is ruined and you're back to square one!

So I may aswell take the hit of higher insurance without a box.
I have been doing, more times than not it's more expensive, or if it is cheaper it doesn't incorporate the legal and breakdown cover, so still works out more in the end.

Legal and breakdown cover can be bought separate from your insurance from third parties.

I got both separtely, breakdown cover was about £40 and legal cover was a tenner: much cheaper then getting it included on your insurance!
Reply 14

Also, I hear mixed reviews with boxes, mostly bad. And my main reason for not wanting one is that I'd feel more unsafe driving by constantly checking my speed than looking out the window.

Good on you for not going for black box insurance - most people are blinded by the "savings" they forget the phrase 'too good to be true'.
Reply 15
Original post by IWMTom
Good on you for not going for black box insurance - most people are blinded by the "savings" they forget the phrase 'too good to be true'.

Thanks!

Especially when the cheapest with a box also has increased now to £1650 so it's only £500 more to have it without.

I could understand and possibly feel more swayed towards having a box if my workplace was nearby and I'd know it would be shorter trips in rush hour where there'd be no chance of being over the speed limits, however my journeys to work will be much further on faster stretches of roads where it's probably safer to keep up with the flow of traffic rather than hold it up.
Reply 16
Thanks!

Especially when the cheapest with a box also has increased now to £1650 so it's only £500 more to have it without.

I could understand and possibly feel more swayed towards having a box if my workplace was nearby and I'd know it would be shorter trips in rush hour where there'd be no chance of being over the speed limits, however my journeys to work will be much further on faster stretches of roads where it's probably safer to keep up with the flow of traffic rather than hold it up.

Exactly! No one likes Big Brother watching over how they drive.
I had a block box with different insurance companies for 3 years on 3 different cars, can't recommend them enough. the black box policies are generally a LOT cheaper than non-black box ones. although obviously if you can find cheaper ones then go for that.

when your insurance is up for renewal, just search around and find the cheapest policies. Most policies will not have good renewal prices, the idea is to hook you into the first year then just get you to renew if you can't be bothered to shop around.
Hi,

- Additional info

Without a black box- it does start to drop quite a bit after the first year.
By how much exactly depends on the individual.
Personally i wouldnt touch a black box with a bargepole.
hi guys, do You know how does it work when I want cancel admiral little box during my reneval of policy? I mean first year I have insurance little box and now in april I need to renew my policy but I have found cheaper one without little box but still from admiral. If I will have to pay something for uninstall it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending