The Student Room Group

Edexcel maths higher grade boundary predictions!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jtsy
Thanks for that, should of got over 100, but some high predictions by some people had me worried.

What did you guys get?
I got around 125 marks, hope it's a 6.

These are my predictions:
4 - 70
5 - 90
6 - 120
7 - 150
8 - 180
9 - 210

I'll try and get the real boundaries leaked, I think I found out how to access Edexcel's servers...
Original post by ParisOMg
Isn't that too low. I feel like half the country will get A's

Highly doubt that.
Most of the country will get grades 4/5 due to most people doing foundation instead of higher.

But if you exclude the foundation papers, then the average grade would be a 5/6.
Original post by Vexillarius
Highly doubt that.
Most of the country will get grades 4/5 due to most people doing foundation instead of higher.

But if you exclude the foundation papers, then the average grade would be a 5/6.

I got around 163, and i'm hoping for a seven, and 125 i think would be a low 6
Reply 23
A grade 4 will be 40+ for those of you wondering, that's definite.
Original post by GOI983
A grade 4 will be 40+ for those of you wondering, that's definite.

Explain how it's definite. I think otherwise.
Original post by Gabzinc

It's not, that's way too low. The lowest for a 4 I think is around 60-70 marks.
5 around the 90-100 region, 6 around 120, 7 around 150, 8 around 180 and 9 well above 200 marks.
Original post by Vexillarius
It's not, that's way too low. The lowest for a 4 I think is around 60-70 marks.
5 around the 90-100 region, 6 around 120, 7 around 150, 8 around 180 and 9 well above 200 marks.

240/240 is definitely a 9. 0 is definitely a U. We can be definite of those
Reply 27
Original post by Gabzinc

Okay, firstly we know the PiXL group made grade boundaries based nationally, excluding private schools and grammar schools. For a 4 it was around 30, however, this is only going to go up by 15-20 marks at the most, not even that because alot of people found the higher paper hard.

All in all, we would be looking at high 40s/50+ for a grade 4. Don't be silly, that's basically saying everyone below 60 will fail, that's alot of marks to pick up. So I highly doubt a grade 4 will be 80 marks+ for example.
Original post by GOI983
Okay, firstly we know the PiXL group made grade boundaries based nationally, excluding private schools and grammar schools. For a 4 it was around 30, however, this is only going to go up by 15-20 marks at the most, not even that because alot of people found the higher paper hard.

All in all, we would be looking at high 40s/50+ for a grade 4. Don't be silly, that's basically saying everyone below 60 will fail, that's alot of marks to pick up. So I highly doubt a grade 4 will be 80 marks+ for example.

It sounds rational, however the paper PIXL group used for it's grade boundaries were relatively harder than the real GCSE papers, and we also need to take into account the fact that many people would not have revised for the mocks and so would have got a lower score.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rnineirnee
It sounds rational, however the paper PIXL group used for it's grade boundaries were relatively harder than the real GCSE papers, and we also need to take into account the fact that many people would not have revised for the mocks and so would have got a lower score.

I felt the PIXL papers were so much easier than the actual exams
Original post by danielwinstanley
I felt the PIXL papers were so much easier than the actual exams

Oh ok what grade are you aiming for?
Oh ok what grade are you aiming for?

I'm aiming for an 8/9
The PIXL papers didn't have a back question that was incredibly hard - it was usually like equation of a line, circle theorem proof ect and there weren't many questions in context. The actual paper also gradually built up in difficulty whilst the PIXL paper usually stayed about the same throughout.
I'm aiming for an 8/9
The PIXL papers didn't have a back question that was incredibly hard - it was usually like equation of a line, circle theorem proof ect and there weren't many questions in context. The actual paper also gradually built up in difficulty whilst the PIXL paper usually stayed about the same throughout.

Yeah i noticed that as well, I would expect the real grade boundaries to be slightly higher than the pixl one. Private schools are grammar schools are likely to increase the grade boundary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah i noticed that as well, I would expect the real grade boundaries to be slightly higher than the pixl one. Private schools are grammar schools are likely to increase the grade boundary.

PIXL said 138 for a grade 9 on the first instance, and that's really low. A 9 would be at least 180 so I'd expect at least 41 marks progress since end of Y10.
PIXL said 138 for a grade 9 on the first instance, and that's really low. A 9 would be at least 180 so I'd expect at least 41 marks progress since end of Y10.

What did they say for a 7 if you don't mind?
What did they say for a 7 if you don't mind?

End of year 10:
0-10 = U,
11-25 = '4'
26-41 = '5'
41-71 = '6'
72-104 = '7'
105-137 = '8'
138-240 = '9'.

I'll find the Y11 PIXL grade boundaries now
Would 228-231 be definitive of a 9? Also, I wrote outside the box for 30 marks or so - will I lose this? :frown:
Y11 boundaries from PIXL
4 - 23
5 - 50
6 - 78
7 - 106
8 - 142
9 - 180
Original post by thekidwhogames
Would 228-231 be definitive of a 9? Also, I wrote outside the box for 30 marks or so - will I lose this? :frown:

The examiner will have to send it off for a review and then you will not loose the marks.
Do you go to a state school?
Original post by thekidwhogames

Well done! And, I'd assume so. I think a 9 could be 200-210. In terms of writing outside box, maybe, maybe not - depends on if it was clear that you were continuing below the line.

Quick Reply

Latest