The Student Room Group

Sad about going to Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZiggyStardust_
everyone seems to love bristol on this forum?

i live there, am i the only one who thinks it's a bit of a sh*thole? ok, so it's not exactly London...but still. Overrated. not that friendly :smile:)

Lol... I'll be visiting tomorrow so guess I'll see for myself
Original post by _Fergo
Nice city, average course.

Average course? Really? Just because there are better courses doesn't mean your course is "average". I am sure there are people at London Met who are incredibly envious of your course.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Lol... I'll be visiting tomorrow so guess I'll see for myself

ah, well enjoy! if you're visiting the Uni & the city centre area, i'm sure you'll like it.

my distaste for Bristol is directed more at the inner city & the outskirts.
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
ah, well enjoy! if you're visiting the Uni & the city centre area, i'm sure you'll like it.

my distaste for Bristol is directed more at the inner city & the outskirts.

Ohh, is the university not in central Bristol then?
Ohh, is the university not in central Bristol then?

oh no it is, yeah. i misworded that wrong; the uni is in the central city, yup. but i think when it comes to any big city in the UK, the central area is always peak af.
I love Bristol! Shame you're going on a bit of a rainy day (are you sure you can't put it off until Saturday?) but I guess if you like it in less-than-pristine weather then you'll like it in sunshine.

Have a good wander round the university buildings, walk through Brandon Hill (a park in the centre with Cabot Tower), go down the hill to the water front, pop into Nicholas Market, and try to see the Clifton suspension bridge over the gorge.
Original post by Crumpet1
I love Bristol! Shame you're going on a bit of a rainy day (are you sure you can't put it off until Saturday?) but I guess if you like it in less-than-pristine weather then you'll like it in sunshine.

Have a good wander round the university buildings, walk through Brandon Hill (a park in the centre with Cabot Tower), go down the hill to the water front, pop into Nicholas Market, and try to see the Clifton suspension bridge over the gorge.

Love Brandon Hill :smile: St Nicks is great too!
Reply 47
Original post by TheMoon
The only problem is Bristol doesn't let you apply for halls if you have it as insurance until they find out you're in (because you missed the firm), so idk how easy it is to get a halls space if you're insurance. I'm in the same situation (Bristol as my insurance), and I definitely won't be too disappointed if I don't get my firm since Bristol is such a good uni and city.

Yeah, might have to look for private accommodation if unable to get university accommodation

After you confirm your offer and you apply for accommodation before a certain date, you get a guarantee that you'll be given accommodation by the University.

Also don't wear high heels if it's your first time here, it can get quite steep.
Original post by TheBBQ
After you confirm your offer and you apply for accommodation before a certain date, you get a guarantee that you'll be given accommodation by the University.

Also don't wear high heels if it's your first time here, it can get quite steep.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/frequently-asked-questions/

On here it says you are guaranteed if you apply by 31st July, but we can't apply until results day so surely we can't be guaranteed a halls place? Unless I misunderstood it
Reply 49
Original post by TheMoon
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/frequently-asked-questions/

On here it says you are guaranteed if you apply by 31st July, but we can't apply until results day so surely we can't be guaranteed a halls place? Unless I misunderstood it

They should have a different deadline for those applying after results day. They were my insurance and that's what happened to me.
Original post by TheBBQ
They should have a different deadline for those applying after results day. They were my insurance and that's what happened to me.

Ohhhh ok, that's great to know then, thanks!
Reply 51
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Average course? Really? Just because there are better courses doesn't mean your course is "average". I am sure there are people at London Met who are incredibly envious of your course.

Well, maybe. But I wasn't gifted a place there, I worked quite hard to exceed the entry requirements and my expectations would naturally reflect that.

For me, the tutors and modules are nice, but there's so much more going behind a degree and at Bristol it's average in my opinion. It being a reputable course at a reputable uni doesn't mean it's all perfect.

PS: I didn't mean average in terms of reputation (since Bristol is rated very highly anyway) - more so organisationally.
(edited 6 years ago)
I go to Bristol and turned down an offer to KCL to do so (got way over the grades, so nothing to do with that, more that i hated the idea of living in london). I don't study Law, I do maths, and the only thing I know about law at Bristol is that the law library is GORGEOUS.

But if it helps to set your mind at rest, Bristol is a great university and I've had a fantastic time. It would be very natural to be disappointed not to get your first choice, but after a few months anywhere else most people seem to forget, in my experience, that they ever wanted to go anywhere else!
Original post by Theaetetus
I go to Bristol and turned down an offer to KCL to do so (got way over the grades, so nothing to do with that, more that i hated the idea of living in london). I don't study Law, I do maths, and the only thing I know about law at Bristol is that the law library is GORGEOUS.

But if it helps to set your mind at rest, Bristol is a great university and I've had a fantastic time. It would be very natural to be disappointed not to get your first choice, but after a few months anywhere else most people seem to forget, in my experience, that they ever wanted to go anywhere else!

Thanks for this!! I'm quite excited to see Bristol tomorrow
Original post by TheBBQ

Haha, I was planning on wearing heeled shoes... think I'll stick to my boots now :lol:
Original post by _Fergo
Well, maybe. But I wasn't gifted a place there, I worked quite hard to exceed the entry requirements and my expectations would naturally reflect that.

For me, the tutors and modules are nice, but there's so much more going behind a degree and at Bristol it's average in my opinion. It being a reputable course at a reputable uni doesn't mean it's all perfect.

PS: I didn't mean average in terms of reputation (since Bristol is rated very highly anyway) - more so organisationally.

What exactly do you mean by "so much more going behind a degree"? What makes Bristol weaker when it comes to its courses that makes it average compared to say KCL for law or St Andrews for maths or Imperial for engineering courses?
Reply 56
Original post by Shadowbinder7
What exactly do you mean by "so much more going behind a degree"? What makes Bristol weaker when it comes to its courses that makes it average compared to say KCL for law or St Andrews for maths or Imperial for engineering courses?

I'm talking specifically about law, not other courses, and obviously I do not have any studying experiences at KCL (in which Bristol is not weaker in terms of reputation).

It's about organisation, tutors, course content, suitability of examinations, realistic expectations and much more. Bristol -to me!- does not strike the perfect balance. It's just an opinion, others may have loved it.
KCL is overrated Bristol is alright but full of *****
Original post by _Fergo

But the the course being reputable and well-funded bolsters the administrative processes. Again, you could be a lot worse off and just because you could have gone to somewhere better doesn't mean where you're at currently is a disgrace.

People at KCL regularly complain about the organisation of their course, but I suspect less than the people at Sunderland.
Reply 59
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
But the the course being reputable and well-funded bolsters the administrative processes. Again, you could be a lot worse off and just because you could have gone to somewhere better doesn't mean where you're at currently is a disgrace.

People at KCL regularly complain about the organisation of their course, but I suspect less than the people at Sunderland.

I never said it's a disgrace, not even close. I have overall liked my experience here and being on the way to a first probably supports that.

That being said, I can't stop but think whether I should have gone with KCL / Durham who had offered me unconditionals - not that it would be better there, it's just a thought that keeps coming up upon reflection of the Bristol course.

In large part, I blame this on the excessively large cohort. The examinations are also unnecessarily daunting, and they could have made them more efficient without making them 'easier' per se.

Quick Reply

Latest