The Student Room Group

A combination of technology and biology?

I love both these sectors, but I’ve heard that doing bio med doesn’t come with a bright future unless you do a master. Also, I’ve been told to go for computer science but where’s the biology in that ?? :frown: I’m very confused and I need to decide by next month. Help please
Newcastle does a Bio-computing degree at undergraduate level.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/i520/#courseoverview
Original post by Leah Alemayehu
I love both these sectors, but I’ve heard that doing bio med doesn’t come with a bright future unless you do a master. Also, I’ve been told to go for computer science but where’s the biology in that ?? :frown: I’m very confused and I need to decide by next month. Help please

Dear Dear what do they teach you these days! AI/Machine Learning is influenced heavily by biology. For example, neural networks used in machine learning are based on those observed in nature.

Its not a one way street though. Computer Science (especially AI/ML) are helping to provide answers for a whole host of disciplines including biology, medicine and environmental science. For example a friend of mine with a Phd in biology had to examine 60 years worth of data for a marina biology project. She literally had tens of thousands of samples to look at. She has some experience with ML and was able to draw insight from the data that would not be possible otherwise.

Exeter allow you to combine Biology and CS in a single honours degree too, so there are plenty of options for cross disciplinary work.
Original post by Leah Alemayehu

Bioinformatics. Hot topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending